The Student Room Group

Applying to Harvard/MIT for econ

Hi,
I've just got back my GCSES 9A*'s and A with an A in ad-maths. I wanted to apply to harvard/mit to do economics. Firstly, with a variety of EC's, some leadership and work experience at an investment bank, hedge fund and magic circle law firm would I be a contender to get in. If so, how to international students usually cope? Do they crash and burn with the strange new system.
Grateful for any advice
Kushack
How on earth do you plan on getting work experience at an IB; hedge fund and an MC firm at your age?
Reply 2
One of the good things in the American system is that you can choose the classes (some are still mandatory), the bad thing is to get certain classes you must have taken specific classes, so in the end you are supposed to take them.

For example. For "calculus" (math), you need to get "calculus 1" done to do "calculus level 2", which is required for an X class in economics. That is what I understood from my brother.

Decide already "the specific job" you want.

In my opinion, as long as you satisfy the entry requirement, there should be no problem, actually, if you have experience you are more likely to get accepted. But do consider that the children of Harvard/MIT's alumni will always have a +1 point in the admission, which can make the difference if you are not outstanding. :smile:

Good luck!

P.S. I may be wrong, so please double check!
Reply 3
Original post by Law-Hopeful
How on earth do you plan on getting work experience at an IB; hedge fund and an MC firm at your age?

xyz
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by pryk009
One of the good things in the American system is that you can choose the classes (some are still mandatory), the bad thing is to get certain classes you must have taken specific classes, so in the end you are supposed to take them.

For example. For "calculus" (math), you need to get "calculus 1" done to do "calculus level 2", which is required for an X class in economics. That is what I understood from my brother.

Decide already "the specific job" you want.

In my opinion, as long as you satisfy the entry requirement, there should be no problem, actually, if you have experience you are more likely to get accepted. But do consider that the children of Harvard/MIT's alumni will always have a +1 point in the admission, which can make the difference if you are not outstanding. :smile:

Good luck!

P.S. I may be wrong, so please double check!

Thanks for your help. Have you any idea of the requirements that i should try and fulfil
Kushack
Original post by mns899
I've already done them. I was at Credit Suisse, Moore Capital and Allen&Overy.

How did you get work experience at those places during your GCSEs?
Reply 6
Original post by mns899
Thanks for your help. Have you any idea of the requirements that i should try and fulfil
Kushack

No idea, you should email the admission office and check if your qualifications are accepted and fill some of the requirements, also you may be required to sit the SAT, not sure though.

General entry requirement: (first year?)
https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/application-requirements

Specific - towards economics: (subjects you are probably gonna take on your first year?)
http://economics.harvard.edu/concentration-requirements
Reply 7
Original post by pryk009
No idea, you should email the admission office and check if your qualifications are accepted and fill some of the requirements, also you may be required to sit the SAT, not sure though.

General entry requirement: (first year?)
https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/application-requirements

Specific - towards economics: (subjects you are probably gonna take on your first year?)
http://economics.harvard.edu/concentration-requirements

Ta very much
How did you get work experience at those places during your GCSEs?

Through mummy and daddy and lots and lots of nepotism!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by mns899
Hi,
I've just got back my GCSES 9A*'s and A with an A in ad-maths. I wanted to apply to harvard/mit to do economics. Firstly, with a variety of EC's, some leadership and work experience at an investment bank, hedge fund and magic circle law firm would I be a contender to get in. If so, how to international students usually cope? Do they crash and burn with the strange new system.
Grateful for any advice
Kushack

You'll need to sit for the SAT and the SAT subject tests (you'll need two, one of which should include Math level 2). Harvard has no leeway regarding this, even for someone doing GCE A-levels.
Reply 10
Original post by grassntai
Through mummy and daddy and lots and lots of nepotism!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Life is unfair.:frown:
Reply 11
Original post by Josb
Life is unfair.:frown:

you get that you can apply for these things. I would argue it is unfair that I am penalised upon applying to university for attending a public school.
Original post by mns899
you get that you can apply for these things.

Work experience at Credit Suisse and Allen & Overy during your GCSEs? Care to show me the application forms, because I can't find them...

Unless of course your application went through a less official channel? :smile:
Reply 13
Work experience at Credit Suisse and Allen & Overy during your GCSEs? Care to show me the application forms, because I can't find them...

Unless of course your application went through a less official channel? :smile:

a) Did you check before summmer rather than after all of them have closed?
b)Check nomura, BofAML and PWC they all have siilar programs running atm
Kush
Reply 14
**** **** balls. How would my application go through a less official channel. The Illumanati take summer off and thus were'nt able to help me get work experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending