The Student Room Group

Apparently Guys Doing Maths At Uni Are Virgins?

I'm studying maths at a top uni. For people who don't know and for me at first it was very surprising seeing the type of people there.

Most, or certainly a lot of people in my course seem to come from privately educated backgrounds. They speak quite posh, they act posh and even dress posh. The only way I can describe it is the real life of that tv show with Sheldon Cooper and there are lots of people like him.

I obviously come from a more public school background. A lot of my friends have got into drugs but it just so happens that I enjoy maths and was able to get decent set of grades to land me here. So the way I dress and my social background is way different.

I find it funny talking about virgin and non virgin at uni because it just seems like such a school thing to do.

I was talking to one of the more sexually promiscuous girls on my course.

She was naming boys on our course saying they're definitely virgins, just look at them, which sounded a bit rude? That they wouldn't know how to anything to a girl etc.

Is this really what girls think of maths people at uni? Real bad reputation from a social standpoint?
Reply 1
Only know their way around an FX83 GT plus.
Original post by TwinnyP

The sad thing is I saw that and listed better calculators immediately, maybe the OP's friend was right :P

In all seriousness though OP, your friend is probably just oddly prejudiced against maths students? Because the entire maths student population is not exclusively made up of virgins, they are normal people to.
Lol the course someone is studying has no correlation to whether they have banged anyone before. It's a private thing so shouldn't really be highlighted when the main thing is to be getting an actual degree in Maths!
Reply 4
Original post by TwinnyP

Lol, interestingly enough we barely use calculators at all now.
Maybe the maths students at your uni do look like virgins, doesn't mean you do lol. You can look geeky regardless of the course you study.

Maths students are just perceived to be nerdy through stereotype, but the stereotype is usually just a lighthearted joke, doesn't need to be read into so much.
Reply 6
Original post by Multitalented me
Lol the course someone is studying has no correlation to whether they have banged anyone before. It's a private thing so shouldn't really be highlighted when the main thing is to be getting an actual degree in Maths!

You're wrong, it does. Also girls from polytechnic universities get dicked hell of a lot more too.
Math students can intergrate your arse :sexface:
I'll be in the elite group of non-Virgin mathematicians next year :smile:
Reply 9
no this is stereotyping

a lot of maths students are quite social
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous

Is this really what girls think of maths people at uni? Real bad reputation from a social standpoint?

I'd say most guys from my Maths course were virgins yeah, but there were one or two quite attractive guys: tall, white and athletic. Everything a posh white girl would go for. But yeah, most guys I've seen in my course were full on nerds and socially introverted.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm studying maths at a top uni. For people who don't know and for me at first it was very surprising seeing the type of people there.

Most, or certainly a lot of people in my course seem to come from privately educated backgrounds. They speak quite posh, they act posh and even dress posh. The only way I can describe it is the real life of that tv show with Sheldon Cooper and there are lots of people like him.

I obviously come from a more public school background. A lot of my friends have got into drugs but it just so happens that I enjoy maths and was able to get decent set of grades to land me here. So the way I dress and my social background is way different.

I find it funny talking about virgin and non virgin at uni because it just seems like such a school thing to do.

I was talking to one of the more sexually promiscuous girls on my course.

She was naming boys on our course saying they're definitely virgins, just look at them, which sounded a bit rude? That they wouldn't know how to anything to a girl etc.

its stupid to think that any guy doing maths at uni is a virgin, people can be clever and yet attractive and kinky on the side, bad stereotype
I've met some promiscuous Mathematicians who row and are execs of societies, other Mathematicians I've met have varied from Sheldon Cooper types with no interest whatsoever in women to relatively "normal" guys with ego problems and poor emotional intelligence. Obviously the calibre of boys who study Mathematics varies but to me they are generally one of two extremes: socially retarded or a "LAD". When I was in secondary school the aspiring Mathematicians that I knew were sociable, had banter and were nice (I'm from London) but since coming to university the Mathematicians that I have come into contact with are stuck up and a tad condescending. I'm sure there's nice ones out there but I haven't met any which is a shame because I'd love to date one/hang out with them so they can teach me cool stuff!

Original post by am_blue
I'd say most guys from my Maths course were virgins yeah, but there were one or two quite attractive guys: tall, white and athletic. Everything a posh white girl would go for. But yeah, most guys I've seen in my course were full on nerds and socially introverted.

lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Only the South Asians are.
Your friend was either joking or is not worth being listened to. Firstly, their sexualities really is none of her business, and just because someone dresses a certain way, that doesn't correlate to them having never gotten some.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending