The Student Room Group

I've had my heart broken

The love of my life has broken up with me after 2 and a bit years.

It was completely out of the blue and I feel like I won't be happy again.

Nothing I do takes my mind off it, I just cry and feel my that my heart is splitting in two.

What can I do :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You'll love spending time on TSR.

In all seriousness, just talk to someone and lighten the burden.
Are you male or female? Also how old are you?
spend time with friends and try to throw yourself into everything you do, it hurts now but in time you will be happy again
Original post by Anonymous

Nothing I do takes my mind off it, I just cry and feel my that my heart is splitting in two.

Eat some icecream, and watch some netflix

Err nothing it's called breaking up and it happens in every relationship you will have until you're married and even then half of them break up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'm male and in my 20's. I've tried doing hobbies and they distract me for 5 minutes or so then I go back to thinking of her.

I thought it was just a roughy patch caused by distance I never imagined this.

I know exactly how you feel - my husband and I broke up after many years of marriage - and I never thought I would ever be happy again.

But - you do get over it - it takes time. Go and do some different things - take up a new sport, book a holiday, meet up with friends. Good times WILL come again
Reply 8
I've just been on holiday. I'll try to meet up with friends but they are all busy with their lives.
Reply 9
Really. I'm really hurt and all you can do is mock?
Eat ice cream and watch TV.
Visit a strip club.
I'm male and in my 20's. I've tried doing hobbies and they distract me for 5 minutes or so then I go back to thinking of her.

I know what you're going through right now; a month ago my then girlfriend broke off our relationship out of the blue. I thought it was a minor bump like you which was due to being across the other sides of the globe for a long period of time (six months or so technically).

It's okay to feel sad - really sad I might add. You need to feel sad at first in order to move on. Take as long as you need to be sad - you've been with this person for two years or something which is a long time. I know it may be tempting for you to contact them and plead them for forgiveness but I can assure you that it will only harm whatever you still have. Love in this moment is like an addiction; by messaging them you relieve that craving but it is not productive for anybody. Therefore what you have to do is break the cycle and employ no contact for a while. It's really difficult at first (I had to do it too) but as time passes it becomes easier and you'll thank yourself for it after.

Finally, it's very natural to feel that you'll never meet someone like your ex again. However this is fallacious. If you want to know why, write down a list of all the things you found beautiful about them and ask yourself if those traits are really unique to that individual - you'll probably find that they aren't. On the contrary think of the bad things about them, one obvious one being that they have broken up with you and don't want to be with you anymore - would you really want to coerce such a relationship into bondage further?

In any case, now is the time to feel sad. Don't worry, you will come out of this :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I know it's horrible, but really the biggest healer is time away from them with no contact. It will hurt for a long time, but eventually this will begin to pass.
And just remember - if they broke up with you, they aren't the love of your life. It may feel like at the time, but eventually you'll find some else whom you love even more deeply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had a good talk with a few friends today. I'm a little better and looking forward to what is coming up.

Unfortunately I have a few questions that won't be answered in a medium that I would like right now but hopefully in time when it is a little less painful they can be.

Thankyou for the support and I wish you all the best and a goodnight. :smile:
I have a few questions I would like answering in person. She doesn't want to meet but would answer them over text message. I'm not being unreasonable am i?
I have a few questions I would like answering in person. She doesn't want to meet but would answer them over text message. I'm not being unreasonable am i?

Neither of you need to see the other in person right now. Even text is pushing it a bit. Sometimes it's best to cut off contact completely. But whatever helps you get closure, I suppose.

First off, ignore all the pricks taking the piss...secondly, I'm really sorry that you went through that :frown: I think surrounding yourself with friends or family is the best thing to do in this sort of situation.

All the best :smile:

It sucks OP and it hurts (i know not long had someone break up with me so its quite a fresh hurt as well) but there is no quick fix, there is no easy way out.

All it takes is time, keep yourself busy and take what enjoyment you can out of life.

Time is the only healer for a broken heart. It sounds trite but it does get easier.
I got the answers to my questions. They were helpful and I know think I can move on more easily. Odd thing is she seems to have blocked access to her fb photos for some of my friends and myself, I find that rather odd and a little immature. We are both adults and we can behave civilly but there is no point bringing this up so I'm venting on here :tongue:
theres not much you can do really, just try cut them out of your life and move on. It sucks but it'll get easier as time goes on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending