The Student Room Group

Doing Dentistry outside the UK - a warning

Lots of people start professional courses in Europe (medicine, dentistry, vet etc) with the idea that they can just do one year overseas and this will get them into a Uni here. Or they think it'll all be much easier than it is and forget about the reality of living in a different country, culture and language, and then want to swap back here for that reason.

It wont happen. UK med/vet/dent schools don't allow 'transfers in' and they also wont allow a year 1 restart using your overseas grades to make-up for weak original A levels.

If you start a dentistry degree overseas - that's it. Thats your one chance gone.

So PLEASE think very carefully before you do it!
Reply 1
Original post by returnmigrant
Lots of people start professional courses in Europe (medicine, dentistry, vet etc) with the idea that they can just do one year overseas and this will get them into a Uni here. Or they think it'll all be much easier than it is and forget about the reality of living in a different country, culture and language, and then want to swap back here for that reason.

It wont happen. UK med/vet/dent schools don't allow 'transfers in' and they also wont allow a year 1 restart using your overseas grades to make-up for weak original A levels.

If you start a dentistry degree overseas - that's it. Thats your one chance gone.

So PLEASE think very carefully before you do it!

Thanks for the advice OP :yy:
My friend is doing Dentistry in Spain, his fees are 20k Euros a year. :eek:
Original post by hihihihihi
My friend is doing Dentistry in Spain, his fees are 20k Euros a year. :eek:

That's only an extra £4000 a year, and for that he gets a cheaper cost of living and, well, Spainish food and weather. Plenty of English speaking types over there and I'll bet he is picking up Spanish quite well, as one would.

Probably a more valuable experience than simply staying in the UK, I'd wager.
If you graduate outside of UK it's nearly impossible to do foundation training. You need foundation training to get on the NHS Performers list to work for the NHS. Try finding a practice who will offer you "VTe" the equivalent of foundation training without any of the NHS funding? No one will do it. Try finding a private practice who will offer a new graduate with no experience a job, because they cannot work for the NHS? Not unless you have contacts.

The only people I know doing it are those whose parents own practices. They're guaranteed a comfortable job for life.
(edited 8 years ago)
ty op
Reply 6
Original post by .skittles
If you graduate outside of UK it's nearly impossible to do foundation training. You need foundation training to get on the NHS Performers list to work for the NHS. Try finding a practice who will offer you "VTe" the equivalent of foundation training without any of the NHS funding? No one will do it. Try finding a private practice who will offer a new graduate with no experience a job, because they cannot work for the NHS? Not unless you have contacts.

The only people I know doing it are those whose parents own practices. They're guaranteed a comfortable job for life.

"Dental Foundation by Equivalence (also known as Vocational Training by Equivalence) is a process for overseas (non-UK/EEA) dental school graduates".

Quick Reply

Latest