The Student Room Group

How to ask GP for Gynecology referall?

Hi All

Since I was eight (am 21 now) have been suffering with extremely painful periods that are also very heavy not to mention irregular... I am at my wits end, the GPs I have seen have been extremely unhelpful, one told me I was exaggerating, the other told me I need to socialize more, and the others keep fobbing me off with contraceptives that do not work :frown: I saw a temporary GP who referred me to the Gynecology department a few years ago, but this was cancelled by my normal GP who felt it was unnecessary.

Only problem is, I start uni next month, and if anything the problem is worse. I can't go out without this affecting me, my moods are all over the place. I am just at my wits end. Would highly appreciate any advice anyone can give me.....
Original post by Anonymous
Hi All

Since I was eight (am 21 now) have been suffering with extremely painful periods that are also very heavy not to mention irregular... I am at my wits end, the GPs I have seen have been extremely unhelpful, one told me I was exaggerating, the other told me I need to socialize more, and the others keep fobbing me off with contraceptives that do not work :frown: I saw a temporary GP who referred me to the Gynecology department a few years ago, but this was cancelled by my normal GP who felt it was unnecessary.

Only problem is, I start uni next month, and if anything the problem is worse. I can't go out without this affecting me, my moods are all over the place. I am just at my wits end. Would highly appreciate any advice anyone can give me.....

You will register with a new doctor at uni and I think this is the time to go and get help. Go through exactly what you've said above and they will take you seriously.
Original post by Muttley79
You will register with a new doctor at uni and I think this is the time to go and get help. Go through exactly what you've said above and they will take you seriously.

I agreed totally. My uni doctor is way more helpful than my home doctor who I certainly won't be registering with when I graduate.
Go to a female doctor if you can, and query endometriosis. It sounds like you might have it. If not, you will probably need to try some different birth control options, as different hormones will effect you in different ways, eg. Depo has stopped my periods altogether, when usually they are unbearable!
You might have some hormonal problems. I had an undiagnosed underactive thyroid for about 7 years and my periods were really heavy and painful for years and I had no idea why, I thought it was normal and then I went on thyroid medication and its completely normal now.

U do need to go to a gyno and then if he doesnt find anything you will need to get hormone tests done. Wtf is wrong with your doctor not referring you. Doctors are supposed to refer you to whatever doctor you feel you need. Sounds like an *******, get a new GP
(edited 8 years ago)
Have you tried going on the contraceptive pill to control your periods and pain? Or other meds?

Quick Reply

Latest