The Student Room Group

Countdown to the start of AS Levels!

With people all over the country having begun, or waiting to begin Year 12 and AS-Levels, I wanted to ask how everyone feels?

I start in seven days and I am very apprehensive. Next year I am studying History, English Literature, Government and Politics and Classical Civilisation.

It would be nice to chat to anyone else who is starting Year 12 over the next couple of days.

How have you prepared?
What are you taking?
What are your feelings?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by themosscrowd
With people all over the country having begun, or waiting to begin Year 12 and AS-Levels, I wanted to ask how everyone feels?

I start in seven days and I am very apprehensive. Next year I am studying History, English Literature, Government and Politics and Classical Civilisation.

It would be nice to chat to anyone else who is starting Year 12 over the next couple of days.

How have you prepared?
What are you taking?
What are your feelings?

I don't start until the 9th (9 days to go!!!) I will be taking English language and literature combined, Media Studies, Sociology and GCSE maths resit (got a D) personally I'm feeling nervous about it, because I'm moving to a different school and don't really know anyone, and I know the workload will be much bigger than what it was at GCSE! I'm feeling excited too because it's a fresh start and also I get to do the subjects I like!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thevamps99xo
I don't start until the 9th (9 days to go!!!) I will be taking English language and literature combined, Media Studies, Sociology and GCSE maths resit (got a D) personally I'm feeling nervous about it, because I'm moving to a different school and don't really know anyone, and I know the workload will be much bigger than what it was at GCSE! I'm feeling excited too because it's a fresh start and also I get to do the subjects I like!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's so nice to know that other people are feeling as nervous as I am. I am going to a new school as well and it is extremely different in comparison to my previous one. My GCSE grades where what I wanted but I am also worried about the workload. I feel like I didn't work hard enough at GCSE and I just hope I can get in the right mind set to do my work to the best of my ability.

Which subject are you most nervous about?
It's so nice to know that other people are feeling as nervous as I am. I am going to a new school as well and it is extremely different in comparison to my previous one. My GCSE grades where what I wanted but I am also worried about the workload. I feel like I didn't work hard enough at GCSE and I just hope I can get in the right mind set to do my work to the best of my ability.

Which subject are you most nervous about?

I'm the same! My parents both went to sixth form and they said it was really hard and that you have to be self motivated, so hopefully their advice works! I'm more nervous about all of them even though English is my strength, but obviously I've never done sociology or media before! What subjects are you nervous about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love English too so I think I might be alright there. I am nervous about Classical Civ as we don't have a teacher, we are taught by video conferencing and our tutor is professor from Oxford. It means I have to work twice as hard and be really motivated.
This is bull, I start this Thursday >(
Reply 6
I love English too so I think I might be alright there. I am nervous about Classical Civ as we don't have a teacher, we are taught by video conferencing and our tutor is professor from Oxford. It means I have to work twice as hard and be really motivated.

Woah what you're taking is my idea of hell :redface: only because I'm a sucker at these subjects. They make my heart race an all

How have you prepared?
What are you taking?
What are your feelings?

Hey there! 8 Days left for me :colondollar:

How have you prepared?
I was given transition work to complete in my four subjects, didn't do much else other that that as I felt I was given a good amount to do :tongue:

What are you taking?
Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths! Prospective Med student here :h:

What are your feelings?
Suuuper nervous but very excited. Also determined to get those 4 A's at AS, aiming for at least 95% Average! I'm moving to an all girls school where I only know like 2 people in the year so that makes me even more apprehensive as I'll have to make new friends etc.

Good luck!
I start this Thursday for some reason, my school gave me about 80 pages of homework last week and said do that before you come back. I had a brief look through it and saw that it was exactly what we'd just done. I mean, we finish GCSEs and they don't even give us a peaceful holiday? Still haven't done any of it. Anyway, I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry for AS and A2. Should be interesting.
Crikey, i start tomorrow.
Doing History, Geography, politics, arabic and literature.
Didn't prepapre for anything.. Lol.
Original post by CaptainJosh
I start this Thursday for some reason, my school gave me about 80 pages of homework last week and said do that before you come back. I had a brief look through it and saw that it was exactly what we'd just done. I mean, we finish GCSEs and they don't even give us a peaceful holiday? Still haven't done any of it. Anyway, I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry for AS and A2. Should be interesting.

I'm taking the same as you :biggrin::smile: how are you preparing and what are you looking to go into?
Original post by heyhey55
I'm taking the same as you :biggrin::smile: how are you preparing and what are you looking to go into?

Cool :smile: Honestly I haven't done much preparation but I'm planning on stepping my game up, I'm in a bit of a false sense of security right now I guess because I got 3 A*s, 7As and 2Bs for GCSE and I literally did no revision whatsoever, but I think this is going to have to change at A-Level. I'm pretty confident with physics though since I already know the vast majority of the material. How about you- any pre-sixth form revision strategies? I should really start :smile: Also, I'm hoping to go down to Oxford after A-Levels to become an airline pilot then return to do physics upto Ph.D. level.
Original post by CaptainJosh
Cool :smile: Honestly I haven't done much preparation but I'm planning on stepping my game up, I'm in a bit of a false sense of security right now I guess because I got 3 A*s, 7As and 2Bs for GCSE and I literally did no revision whatsoever, but I think this is going to have to change at A-Level. I'm pretty confident with physics though since I already know the vast majority of the material. How about you- any pre-sixth form revision strategies? I should really start :smile: Also, I'm hoping to go down to Oxford after A-Levels to become an airline pilot then return to do physics upto Ph.D. level.

Oh my god. It's one of my dreams to learn how to fly:wink: are planes not freaking awesome? Was dead set on becoming a pilot until I realised my parents do not want to pay for me to get lost in the clouds. So that dream is on hold until I can pay for my own lessons :tongue: Also going to try oxbridge, stuck between med and engineering though. I'm just covering everything from GCSE maths and physics - can't wait to start lessons
Original post by blaze9990
This is bull, I start this Thursday >(

Oh no, at least you have a few taster days before your first full week at school.

What subjects are you taking?
Woah what you're taking is my idea of hell :redface: only because I'm a sucker at these subjects. They make my heart race an all

I lose my mind in Maths an Physics, I got A's in both but I couldn't handle continuing with them! Do you not enjoy essays? For me, they where a life saver in the exams.
I lose my mind in Maths an Physics, I got A's in both but I couldn't handle continuing with them! Do you not enjoy essays? For me, they where a life saver in the exams.

Ah essays kill me. I remember not finishing most of the essay exams :u: I usually just waffle till I can write no more
Reply 16

Me too. But I'm also taking product design at as.
Original post by FatimaHere
Hey there! 8 Days left for me :colondollar:

How have you prepared?
I was given transition work to complete in my four subjects, didn't do much else other that that as I felt I was given a good amount to do :tongue:

What are you taking?
Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths! Prospective Med student here :h:

What are your feelings?
Suuuper nervous but very excited. Also determined to get those 4 A's at AS, aiming for at least 95% Average! I'm moving to an all girls school where I only know like 2 people in the year so that makes me even more apprehensive as I'll have to make new friends etc.

Good luck!

I am going to a new school as well and I am nervous about making new friends as well. However, I have decided to prioritise my work over friends for the next to years. Like you, I am aiming for 4 A's at AS.

What would be your ideal A-Level results?
Ah essays kill me. I remember not finishing most of the essay exams :u: I usually just waffle till I can write no more

I love that their is no definite answer in essay subjects. The workload is worrying though, I think I will hate essays come next year!
Original post by Punkrockfan
Crikey, i start tomorrow.
Doing History, Geography, politics, arabic and literature.
Didn't prepapre for anything.. Lol.

Good Luck for tomorrow!

Arabic is an interesting subject, what made you choose it?

Quick Reply

Latest