The Student Room Group

Do you think it should be compulsory for kids in the UK and US to learn a second lang

I was lucky enough to learn 2 further languages at school. I was futher lucky to be great at linguistics and learning 4 more.

Kids in countries like Denmark and the Nederlands are taught English at a young age. Almost 95% of people in the Nederlands speak English.

Should all kids going through school in the UK and US have to learn a second language? Maybe Spanish?

Scroll to see replies

To be fair i learnt Irish and French in school and i have never once needed it.

Learning English i agree with for all non english speaking countries. But what language should english speakers learn? Spanish? No need really, French or German would be a better choice? Mandarin? Urdu? Polish? Japanese? Thai?
I guess the argument against it is that English speakers simply don't need to learn another language to be relatively successful in today's economy. Having said that, I do completely agree that it would be better if people in English speaking languages were better at learning other languages. It's quite embarrassing how it's completely normal to be bilingual and even trilingual in many European languages, yet people will be visibly impressed if you know anything apart from English in the UK.

I don't really like the idea of forcing everyone to learn another language, it feels a bit brutal, but on the other hand I'm not sure how else you'd change the current situation. As everyone knows, languages are very difficult. Kids just have to deal with it in countries where English isn't the first language but since that necessity doesn't exist in the UK, a lot of people simply won't bother. You've got to get a good pass in a language at GCSE to get the EBacc but nobody cares about the EBacc so this is pretty irrelevant. So unless somebody actually comes up with a carrot method that genuinely works, I wouldn't be surprised if a compulsory second language was the only way to increase MFL uptake.

I just don't know if you can justify forcing people to take a second language when there's no urgent need. Contrary to English and Maths, you can get through life by just knowing English.
Original post by silverbolt
To be fair i learnt Irish and French in school and i have never once needed it.

Learning English i agree with for all non english speaking countries. But what language should english speakers learn? Spanish? No need really, French or German would be a better choice? Mandarin? Urdu? Polish? Japanese? Thai?

Knowing additional languages, even if you're mother tongue is English is a massive plus in a lot of key and well paid careers.

Spanish is probably the best bet because so many people in the world speak it.
Yo hablo un poco de español, pero yo quiero aprender persa y ahora aprendizaje francés.
English is probably the most universally accepted international language in many areas, such as science. Also, many children already learn a second language, and those who don't normally don't because they struggle enough with English. Also, which language. A lack of teachers make many languages difficult to access, and those that are e.g. French, Spanish, German, Italian, are not as useful as some like Urdu or Mandarin, which are far more difficult and there would simply not be enough teachers for
Reply 6
I don't see the point in them learning another language. It just means kids will have to learn more **** and won't have enough time to learn the subjects that really matter.
Original post by The Dictator
Yo hablo un poco de español, pero yo quiero aprender persa y ahora aprendizaje francés.

"aprender persa y ahora aprendizaje francés."

Which Spanish dialect is that... it's definitely not Castellano
Yes it should be mandatory like English and Maths etc. It is mandatory to take two languages in my country.
I think a language should be compulsory up to GCSE and taught both better AND from an earlier age. Language teaching is pretty terrible in this country, IMO and that's why people don't go in for it. It's taught in a very dry manner from textbooks and with painful roleplays - when actually I think if it were more about showing people how to express themselves, it would be so much more enjoyable.
Plus, learning another language does actually teach you a lot more than just a practical skill (of knowing another language...), it makes you think about other cultures and how people think through the way they speak. As it's also about the only place you'll ever learn any grammar and need to use it, it also improves people's English by making them realise grammar exists in this language too. I understand english so much better through having done other languages at school.

Some Universities like UCL now have it as compulsory that you've got a GCSE or equivalent in a second language.
It's a competitive world out there, you'll be up against people who can speak many other languages. Organisations and businesses seek to expand, therefore it would be good if their employees could perhaps carry on their businesses abroad or something? Being able to speak more than one language opens doors to travel and work abroad and the most important point: you'll be a cool bean. :u:
(edited 8 years ago)
[QUOTE=york_wbu;59005681]I don't see the point in them learning another language. It just means kids will have to learn more **** and won't have enough time to learn the subjects that really matter.

This is the most pathetic and ignorant response ever.

It's not that they don't have enough time, it's because they're too damn lazy, and frankly your negativity in regards to learning language disgusts me.

I lost it after I read that part I've left in italic...
Original post by thecatwithnohat
It's a competitive world out there, you'll be up against people who can speak many other languages. Organisations and businesses seek to expand, therefore it would be good if their employees could perhaps carry on their businesses abroad or s omething? Being able to speak more than one language opens doors to travel and work abroad and the most important pont: you'll be a cool bean. :u:

So in reference to the guy who thought languages were unimportant... if you were faced with someone, guy or girl, who knew more languages than you, you'd be screwed.
Original post by driftawaay
Yes it should be mandatory like English and Maths etc. It is mandatory to take two languages in my country.

Where are you from may I ask?
I think it should be compulsory up to GCSE level - everyone should take the course, though they shouldn't be forced to resit it during sixth form like Maths and English. While I didn't personally enjoy GCSE German much, and it was the most difficult of my GCSEs, it encourages people to learn about other cultures, and is generally valuable in life. I'm against making any A levels compulsory (and I disagree with the occasional suggestions that Maths and English should be taught until 18), so it shouldn't be compulsory post-GCSE.
Original post by seaholme
I think a language should be compulsory up to GCSE and taught both better AND from an earlier age. Language teaching is pretty terrible in this country, IMO and that's why people don't go in for it. It's taught in a very dry manner from textbooks and with painful roleplays - when actually I think if it were more about showing people how to express themselves, it would be so much more enjoyable.
Plus, learning another language does actually teach you a lot more than just a practical skill (of knowing another language...), it makes you think about other cultures and how people think through the way they speak. As it's also about the only place you'll ever learn any grammar and need to use it, it also improves people's English by making them realise grammar exists in this language too. I understand english so much better through having done other languages at school.

Some Universities like UCL now have it as compulsory that you've got a GCSE or equivalent in a second language.

I think it boils down to pure laziness.

Kids, and some times adults, who have English just aren't fussed to learn anything else. They think that English is the only language worth knowing and so aren't bothered to go through the process of learning other languages.

It's a real shame because here in France, even though education for English is quite bad, we still learn a fair amount of it. I was lucky enough to get to a higher standard through travelling and exchanges.
Original post by VotreAltesse
So in reference to the guy who thought languages were unimportant... if you were faced with someone, guy or girl, who knew more languages than you, you'd be screwed.

Pretty much. Speaking only English, you'd probably only be able to communicate with 5% of the population (I actually don't know the figure, but its a small number) but if you were bilingual/multilingual+, you'd be able to communicate with a larger number of people -> more international clients -> more $$$/££££ amirite?! :sexface:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Pretty much. Speaking only English, you'd probably only be able to communicate with 5% of the population (I actually don't know the figure, but its a small number) but if you were bilingual/multilingual+, you'd be able to communicate with a larger number of people -> more international clients -> more $$$/££££ amirite?! :sexface:

Exactly. Screw everyone who says learning languages is a waste of time...
Original post by VotreAltesse
Where are you from may I ask?

Hungary. Its compulsory to start learning a language from age 8 (second grade). In high scool (from 14 to 18) its two compulsory languages for everyone in every school. Also, there are lots of bilingual high schools where you learn every subject in a foreign language, usually English/German/Spanish/French. This doesnt even exist in the UK as far as I am aware, aside from those elit places in London like the Lycee.

You cannot graduate high school without taking a final exam in a foreign language. And according to newer laws, you cannot graduate from university without a B2 language exam either.
(edited 8 years ago)
Should be compulsory to learn 5 languages. Honestly languages are the most brilliant and fascinating things^_^
I speak French, Arabic and Spanish fluently. Hoping to be somewhat fluent in Italian and German over the next 2 years.

Quick Reply

Latest