The Student Room Group

Do you think it should be compulsory for kids in the UK and US to learn a second lang

Scroll to see replies

I used to think it was compulsory in the UK until the age of 16, purely because my school made you do at least one language at GCSE (I did three).
I think it's beneficial to learn a secondary language. I rather be able to speak to people in their native language instead of making them speak English because 'English is the only language you'll need to know'. I was really embarrassed when I was in Amsterdam and a sales assistant literally switch languages in a matter of seconds to accommodate me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My initial reaction is a very strong 'no', but I feel like that's due to personal bias. I was taught French at school in year 7 and 8, and it was by far the worst subject I was taught. It was painfully boring - teacher clearly didn't care and made no effort to make it interesting... and this is coming from a girl who loved learning pretty much anything else. So as a result I steered very clear of languages when picking what to study at GCSE.

Looking back, it's really unfortunate because now I can see the huge benefits of learning another language. As others have said, if it's going to be compulsory I think lessons should be learnt from how other countries teach foreign languages, because at at least some schools here, it's really not working.
Hmm I think it should be compulsory, but I can see that actually dragging down the language ability of your average student. Whilst I think that if you start early enough, there's no reason why everyone shouldn't be able to learn a foreign language to a decent conversational standard (B1/B2 level), we currently just do not have the language infrastructure to implement this. It was difficult enough at school having people who had chosen to study a language in my class struggling to keep up, but if languages are extended to everyone, there will be even more people either holding back the class or simply not learning anything. Either that, or a school teaches only one language to allow it to set pupils (which still causes timetabling difficulties) and then you'd end up with everyone in the UK speaking either French, German or Spanish, but nobody able to do more than one foreign language, and nobody speaking anything more exotic.

I do think everyone should learn a language, but it needs to start happening much younger, and with much better continuity so that people don't end up in a year 7 class with some students having 4 years of French and others having 4 (useless) years of German and no French at all.
Yep, this country needs to encourage monolingualism, IMO. A
Although it would be great if people had basic maths and English skills as well ...x
Original post by kendellex
I used to think it was compulsory in the UK until the age of 16, purely because my school made you do at least one language at GCSE (I did three).
I think it's beneficial to learn a secondary language. I rather be able to speak to people in their native language instead of making them speak English because 'English is the only language you'll need to know'. I was really embarrassed when I was in Amsterdam and a sales assistant literally switch languages in a matter of seconds to accommodate me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, in other european countries, knowledge of a different language is really encouraged. Which makes me wonder WTF is wrong with our collective attitude as a nation toward learning languages.
Original post by Steeplechasing
Yes, in other european countries, knowledge of a different language is really encouraged. Which makes me wonder WTF is wrong with our collective attitude as a nation toward learning languages.

Probably to do with many people struggling with basic English...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Steeplechasing

I believe our teaching of languages is seriously flawed. My friend, who learnt English as a second language in Germany, looked at our methods of teaching a second language and just didn't understand why we would do that.
I feel at best we are taught enough to be a tourist but not enough to actually carry a full conversation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by Fango_Jett
The vast majority of people don't 'need' to know how organic mechanisms or Gauss's law work. Just because you don't use it directly does not mean that things should not be taught. There are many secondary skills that people can pick up from learning a language as a by-product.

Organic mechanisms or Gauss's law don't take long to teach. They're part of much bigger subjects, that on a whole, are used a lot. A second language is also a large subject, which to be taught to a usable level (which is past a* gcse), it takes a lot of time. So much time to be spent on something so specific.
Sure, there might be a couple of extra skills learnt, but it's not enough to justify spending so much time on learning another language.
With the state of our education system today, and people failing their own native language at GCSE, shouldn't we be making sure people can communicate properly in English before we make it compulsory for them to learn another language?

Also, which language would people learn? Unlike with non-English speaking countries, there is no "obvious" choice.
Original post by kkboyk
The lessons taught are very watered down and ineffective. During yr7-10 they teach you the same basic stuff over and over again, that no-one is capable of saying anything other than the basic greetings and what food they like. I pretty much had to teach myself outside the classroom in order to be able to speak Spanish.

Proof? The KS2 schemes of work at primary cover far more than that!

At secondary teaching does NOT start from scratch, certainly not in the schools I know.
If langauges were to be compulsory, people should at least have a wide choice in what language they want to learn. My school forced me and a bunch of other people to take italian for gcse, despite having zero interest in the language. Learning a langauge you have no interest is completely pointless.
Original post by AnnieGakusei
With the state of our education system today, and people failing their own native language at GCSE, shouldn't we be making sure people can communicate properly in English before we make it compulsory for them to learn another language?

Also, which language would people learn? Unlike with non-English speaking countries, there is no "obvious" choice.

This is why we should just do a bit of everything.

Since leaving school, I've had to speak, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Turkish, Czech, Swedish, Danish, Serbian, Hungarian, Welsh, Irish, Arabic. It would have been nice to have had some help with these at school rather than learn them all from phrasebooks and tapes.

I'm sure Cantonese, Russian, Urdu, would all be really useful as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 73
Yes. Either Spanish, French or German. But R.E should be watered down and English given more hours. R.E is unnecessary in year 7 onwards.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Erzan
Yes. Either Spanish, French or German. But R.E should be watered down and English given more hours. R.E is unnecessary in year 7 onwards.

I disagree with RE.
I feel like there should be more focus on the faiths of the world to avoid the major misconceptions of certain religions (the most obvious being Islam). If each religion was taught in an unbiased manner I feel that hate towards certain religions would lessen.
I come from Northern Ireland so sectarianism is a big thing and j just want a world where we can all live happily ever after 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by york_wbu
Organic mechanisms or Gauss's law don't take long to teach. They're part of much bigger subjects, that on a whole, are used a lot. A second language is also a large subject, which to be taught to a usable level (which is past a* gcse), it takes a lot of time. So much time to be spent on something so specific.
Sure, there might be a couple of extra skills learnt, but it's not enough to justify spending so much time on learning another language.

Yes, chemistry and physics are used a lot, but only used directly by a minute fraction of the population, and pretty much exclusively by graduates. I'm not sure where you get that idea that physics and chemistry don't take a long time to learn (they do). A Level chemistry and physics is practically useless in the real world, and the only people who will actually take that and use it directly are university graduates. You're holding a huge double standard here.
Original post by Vlammm
If langauges were to be compulsory, people should at least have a wide choice in what language they want to learn. My school forced me and a bunch of other people to take italian for gcse, despite having zero interest in the language. Learning a langauge you have no interest is completely pointless.

This is probably the biggest issue. There simply aren't enough secondary school teachers in foreign languages, with the exception of say maybe french or spanish.
nope. if anything is going to be compulsory then it should definitely not be a second language. leave that kind of importance to science, maths and english. english people don't need to learn another language because so many people around the world already speak our language so there's no real point in learning another one, unless you're going to emigrate, but the vast majority of people are never going to do that. scandinevian and eastern european people speak pretty good english - that's because they *need* that language. we don't need another language - we have a language many people already speak.
I'm considering doing a TESOL course, I'd have loved if we had been taught by someone like that at school. But most modern foreign languages teachers just have you sit around in IT rooms for five years learning to say incredibly simple sentences using silly computer games. Most kids found ways to cheat on all those games anyway, so no-one learns anything.

All I have is a D grade GCSE in German, and aside from 'Meine Deutsche ist nicht sehr gut' I know essentially nothing.
Reply 79
Original post by VotreAltesse
I was lucky enough to learn 2 further languages at school. I was futher lucky to be great at linguistics and learning 4 more.

Kids in countries like Denmark and the Nederlands are taught English at a young age. Almost 95% of people in the Nederlands speak English.

Should all kids going through school in the UK and US have to learn a second language? Maybe Spanish?

YES!

I think it is really important for children to learn a second language because it helps them to connect with and experience one aspect of a different nationality. The more children learn about the world then the more tolerant they will be of those from other countries and so on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending