The Student Room Group

Confused BSc and BA?

Whats the difference? I'm thinking to do a combined course like economics and/with managment.
Original post by Yousf
Whats the difference? I'm thinking to do a combined course like economics and/with managment.

A BSc is Bachelor of Science whereas a BA is Bachelor of Arts. No difference in terms of the level of qualification, it just depends on what subject/degree you do. In terms of economics, a BSc course would probably be more mathematical etc than a BA :smile:

Oh and please ignore the ignorance of the user below.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
BSc = useful

BA = useless

:yes:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Changing Skies
A BSc is Bachelor of Science whereas a BA is Bachelor of Arts. No difference in terms of the level of qualification, it just depends on what subject/degree you do. In terms of economics, a BSc course would probably be more mathematical etc than a BA :smile:

Oh and please ignore the ignorance of the user below.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbf they've got a point. BSc is a lot more respected as science is perceived to be harder, a BA can be seen by some as soft. Obviously it depends on the subject of the degree, but getting a BA in e.g. Economics or Accounting will look pretty bad next to a BSc graduate.
Original post by Depleted
Tbf they've got a point. BSc is a lot more respected as science is perceived to be harder, a BA can be seen by some as soft. Obviously it depends on the subject of the degree, but getting a BA in e.g. Economics or Accounting will look pretty bad next to a BSc graduate.

A BA is not useless, however, which is what the user said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Changing Skies
A BA is not useless, however, which is what the user said.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They just said it in a hyperbolic way. I doubt they literally meant it's useless.
Original post by Depleted
They just said it in a hyperbolic way. I doubt they literally meant it's useless.

There are actually many users on this website who say they are useless, so they probably do mean it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Is the maths hard and is there a lot of it in BSc? I'm planning to drop maths..
Original post by Yousf
Is the maths hard and is there a lot of it in BSc? I'm planning to drop maths..

No it shouldn't be hard if economics is a subject which interests you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doing a B.Sc. will indicate that you did more mathematical modules which for an economics and management career does make it more useful for you.

Think of economics and management as applied mathematics and you'll do well.
What's the difference between BSc and BN for nursing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elise68
What's the difference between BSc and BN for nursing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's generally literally down to a name as the syllabus has to be the same content wise in both.
Original post by claireestelle
It's generally literally down to a name as the syllabus has to be the same content wise in both.

Okay, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

I'm Charlie, a student ambassador for Lancaster University - I am currently in my 2nd year of a degree in Finance & Economics.

BSc is a bachelor of science and so will normally include alot more maths than a BA (bachelor of arts) degree. The level and usefulness of both is equal. Obviously one will be more useful in other areas of work than the other, and vice versa.

I hope this has helped your decision making process,
Charlie

Quick Reply

Latest