The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Do you get optional modules at bristol

If you're on an Engineering course, and say you want to do one module on philosophy would it be possible to do that?
Reply 1
It depends entirely on the course.
Civil engineering masters for instance:
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2015/civil-engineering/meng-civil-eng/

You can see breakdown of each year and it's pretty limited as to optional and in particular what you're looking for, open units - so here it's maybe possible to do one in 3rd year. STEM courses do tend to be more so, and open courses from another unit may be more difficult anyway as you need to ask that other department for permission to do it just fyi.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Inazuma
It depends entirely on the course.
Civil engineering masters for instance:
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2015/civil-engineering/meng-civil-eng/

You can see breakdown of each year and it's pretty limited as to optional and in particular what you're looking for, open units - so here it's maybe possible to do one in 3rd year. STEM courses do tend to be more so, and open courses from another unit may be more difficult anyway as you need to ask that other department for permission to do it just fyi.

I'm on EEE it doesn't have any optional modules from what I can see but I think it's very unfair because I should be able to learn as much as I can at university
Reply 3
Original post by hexagonalRod
I'm on EEE it doesn't have any optional modules from what I can see but I think it's very unfair because I should be able to learn as much as I can at university

Unfortunately it'll be because there's a lot to cover and the earlier years will be the basis so no room to squeeze in optional like you can elsewhere.

There's nothing to stop you from attending philosophy lectures if you so fancy instead - just find a person to tell you their timetable for lectures.
It's pretty difficult to do an open unit anyway, as the style of working between subjects, particularly a STEM & SS' will be extremely different. Just keep it as a hobby if you so wish :-)
Plus there's always societies - and there is no requirement to be studying it there either.
Original post by Inazuma
Unfortunately it'll be because there's a lot to cover and the earlier years will be the basis so no room to squeeze in optional like you can elsewhere.

There's nothing to stop you from attending philosophy lectures if you so fancy instead - just find a person to tell you their timetable for lectures.
It's pretty difficult to do an open unit anyway, as the style of working between subjects, particularly a STEM & SS' will be extremely different. Just keep it as a hobby if you so wish :-)
Plus there's always societies - and there is no requirement to be studying it there either.

I'm scared I'll turn into a nerd and won't have a creative essay writing side and............
Reply 5
I'm scared I'll turn into a nerd and won't have a creative essay writing side and............

Hehe what do you think you're signing up for? :P

But if you are that concerned there are tons of societies that may be even more interesting to do since you wouldn't be being graded etc that you could try instead! :-)
Original post by Inazuma
Hehe what do you think you're signing up for? :P

But if you are that concerned there are tons of societies that may be even more interesting to do since you wouldn't be being graded etc that you could try instead! :-)

Are you doing civil then? I've heard it's hard to partake in societies because the course is full-on so you're left with little time
Reply 7
Are you doing civil then? I've heard it's hard to partake in societies because the course is full-on so you're left with little time

Afraid not I am in fact law; but have various engineering friends.
They manage to do societies, an optional weekly evening or afternoon is the most many require unless you're competitive sports :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Inazuma
Afraid not I am in fact law; but have various engineering friends.
They manage to do societies, an optional weekly evening or afternoon is the most many require unless you're competitive sports :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh nice, would it be possible to get your timetable so that I can make the most out of my time at Bristol and get an insight to law as well? :biggrin:

do most people only get one evening a week and the rest is occupied with studying?
Reply 9
It's important to remember why you're going to university in the first place -- to study for a degree in a specific subject area. Some courses give the ability to do units outside of that subject area, to widen your experience. Some find this a positive experience (they get to do something they're enthusiastic about, and do well in it); others find it a negative (they aren't really enthusiastic about the subject, and don't give the unit the attention it requires, and do badly in it.)

Some course simply don't have the time to fit in what they require you to learn while allowing you to do an open unit. That means that open units aren't an option. That's an indication that they don't think there's time to commit to the course that you're studying as well as something else.

I don't know if there's a formal way to attend lectures outside of your course. I don't know if it's technically permitted at all. (Bear in mind that your tuition fees cover the cost of the lectures you are attending as part of your course of study -- not to attend whatever other lectures you fancy wandering along to.) But -- if only as a matter of common courtesy -- you should ask the lecturer's permission before doing so.

To be honest, you're asking about philosophy lectures, and now law -- which makes me wonder whether you have the right level of commitment to the course you've got a place to study. The last thing you want is to find yourself distracted from things you're supposed to be doing by your other interests.
Oh nice, would it be possible to get your timetable so that I can make the most out of my time at Bristol and get an insight to law as well? :biggrin:

do most people only get one evening a week and the rest is occupied with studying?

Law isn't really the kind of subject you can really pick up without studying properly (like engineering etc), let alone 3rd year topics building on previous years lol.
It's perfectly fine to get your value from money just from your course and societies etc, you'll have plenty to fill your time s it is

And do you mean free time? Generally everyone has evenings off. What they do with that time is up to them, generally spent not working in the majority of peoples cases, particularly first year
Original post by Inazuma
Law isn't really the kind of subject you can really pick up without studying properly (like engineering etc), let alone 3rd year topics building on previous years lol.
It's perfectly fine to get your value from money just from your course and societies etc, you'll have plenty to fill your time s it is

And do you mean free time? Generally everyone has evenings off. What they do with that time is up to them, generally spent not working in the majority of peoples cases, particularly first year

I am going straight to second year not first. :smile: My ex was doing law and I used help her with case-studies and whatnot, and I think it is possible to study other subjects alongside (not professionally).. its boring to just stay within your own realms when you could broaden your knowledge.. isnt that what friends are for?

Quick Reply