The Student Room Group

GCSE

When is everyone starting/has everyone started revision for 2016 GCSEs? I am just about to start year 11 and am starting revision as soon as I get back. I am wondering what everyone thinks about what time is best to start?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DylanStickland00
When is everyone starting/has everyone started revision for 2016 GCSEs? I am just about to start year 11 and am starting revision as soon as I get back. I am wondering what everyone thinks about what time is best to start?

I'm starting year 11 in September too :smile: I would recommend starting light revision during mocks and the christmas holidays and hardcore revision during the Easter holidays

Hope this helps x

- Rebecca
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm going into year 11, I started revision in June, but very light. I'm going to revise for around 2 hours every night when school starts.
Original post by emileijane
I'm going into year 11, I started revision in June, but very light. I'm going to revise for around 2 hours every night when school starts.

I just finished my GCSEs, and trust me, it was stressful. I suggest you do some light revision around twice a week (1 hour), cause if you do what you said, you are going to mentally exhaust yourself and by the time you get to the point where you have to revise thoroughly, your appetite for revision will be completely gone.

With that being said, I revised only some of my GCSE subjects which I thought were important: English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. And if you're wondering, I did 10 GCSE subjects.

Also, I would suggest you start your 'hardcore' revision around February. You need to give yourself a break cause you would have just finished your mocks by January.

Good luck!
Original post by JustaThinker
I just finished my GCSEs, and trust me, it was stressful. I suggest you do some light revision around twice a week (1 hour), cause if you do what you said, you are going to mentally exhaust yourself and by the time you get to the point where you have to revise thoroughly, your appetite for revision will be completely gone.

With that being said, I revised only some of my GCSE subjects which I thought were important: English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. And if you're wondering, I did 10 GCSE subjects.

Also, I would suggest you start your 'hardcore' revision around February. You need to give yourself a break cause you would have just finished your mocks by January.

Good luck!

Thank you for the advise :smile: However, I'm extremely behind in some subjects (Maths, English and Science included), so for now I'm just focusing on getting myself back up to where I should be. Subjects of which I'm more comfortable with such as RE and Business I'm not going to start until February, March time. I'm taking 10 subjects.
Original post by emileijane
Thank you for the advise :smile: However, I'm extremely behind in some subjects (Maths, English and Science included), so for now I'm just focusing on getting myself back up to where I should be. Subjects of which I'm more comfortable with such as RE and Business I'm not going to start until February, March time. I'm taking 10 subjects.

@DylanStickland00 that's exactly what im doing,great planning! 😊👏
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm also going into y11 in September.
I'm planning to do light revision from September (around 5 days a week, one hour a day) in only the subjects I want to target, which are Religion and Philosophy, geography and the three sciences. Also, some vocab for Spanish and Chinese. This is very chilled out though.
I am doing 11 subjects, 14 GCSEs, but only feel the need to target these with more revision.

Nearer the time, around Feb half term, I will begin the 'proper' revision every day in most subjects.
Like maths and english, I usually don't revise too much, except 3 weeks before the exams.

Hope I helped :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Ishan_2000
I'm also going into y11 in September.
I'm planning to do light revision from September (around 5 days a week, one hour a day) in only the subjects I want to target, which are Religion and Philosophy, geography and the three sciences. Also, some vocab for Spanish and Chinese. This is very chilled out though.
I am doing 11 subjects, 14 GCSEs, but only feel the need to target these with more revision.

Nearer the time, around Feb half term, I will begin the 'proper' revision every day in most subjects.
Like maths and english, I usually don't revise too much, except 3 weeks before the exams.

Hope I helped :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

I've just done GCSEs and I can assure you you will gain absolutely nothing by revising from as early as September, even if it's for your best subjects. I started properly in April and got A*/As.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BoomCha!
I've just done GCSEs and I can assure you you will gain absolutely nothing by revising from as early as September, even if it's for your best subjects. I started properly in April and got A*/As.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even to make notes for each topic for each subject? I haven't made a single page of any notes for any subject yet, even in the y10 mocks, so I thought I would start at the start of y11.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Ishan_2000
Even to make notes for each topic for each subject? I haven't made a single page of any notes for any subject yet, even in the y10 mocks, so I thought I would start at the start of y11.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, nothing. Trust me. Do some notes for year 11 mocks and re use them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just finished year 11 and lol trust me you only need to start around March - plenty of time to regurgitate material and practise exam technique. Start past papers after you revised content though, but no September is way too early. Revise for Xmas mocks so you know where you are with your revision and if they influence your predicted grades for colleges etc.
Original post by Starlight15
I'm starting year 11 in September too :smile: I would recommend starting light revision during mocks and the christmas holidays and hardcore revision during the Easter holidays

Hope this helps x
it will be nice If you give me a rep

- Rebecca

There you go :biggrin:
I've just done GCSE's and I didn't revise till March? It's a fun year and prioritising social life/ family was definitely the right choice. Its a year I've grown a lot socially and in confidence and I think this is more important then grades. I got 5 A*'s and 6 A's (getting to remarked to hopefully get to 7 A*'s).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DylanStickland00

Loool youre too insecure mate. I revised a week before all my exams and ended up with 13A* and an 2A's (A for German and French)

Just revise hard for Maths and the sciences
English, just smash your coursework. You cant really revise for the exam as the question always change but you can learn the structures
Original post by Kyle1198
Just finished year 11 and lol trust me you only need to start around March - plenty of time to regurgitate material and practise exam technique. Start past papers after you revised content though, but no September is way too early. Revise for Xmas mocks so you know where you are with your revision and if they influence your predicted grades for colleges etc.

February* :colone:
Original post by Imperion
February* :colone:

Eh whatever each to their own, but we can all agree September is way too early for serious revision :u:
Original post by greycheck
Loool youre too insecure mate. I revised a week before all my exams and ended up with 13A* and an 2A's (A for German and French)

Just revise hard for Maths and the sciences
English, just smash your coursework. You cant really revise for the exam as the question always change but you can learn the structures

What're you doing for A levels?
Original post by WannabeDoctor98
I've just done GCSE's and I didn't revise till March? It's a fun year and prioritising social life/ family was definitely the right choice. Its a year I've grown a lot socially and in confidence and I think this is more important then grades. I got 5 A*'s and 6 A's (getting to remarked to hopefully get to 7 A*'s).

Posted from TSR Mobile

What if you don't have a social life? :colone:
Original post by Imperion
What're you doing for A levels?

What if you don't have a social life? :colone:

Well its only a couple of months of work? Why would you risk ur social life over your future? Work now and enjoy your life later!
Original post by Kyle1198
Eh whatever each to their own, but we can all agree September is way too early for serious revision :u:

Mhmm. Though I did about 45 mins for each subject a day :toofunny: I was just paranoid but I can confirm it doesn't help :tongue:
Original post by greycheck
Well its only a couple of months of work? Why would you risk ur social life over your future? Work now and enjoy your life later!

Such logic much waow

Yeah I don't understand why he particularly did that but each to their own? :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending