The Student Room Group

What universities do or don't put emphasis on UKCAT tests?

I'm applying to study medicine at the moment and I'm going to be doing my UKCAT at the start of October. I've heard that certain universities put a lot of emphasis on having a high UKCAT score but others don't - does anyone know which universities do and don't put a lot of emphasis on them so that I can try and figure out the chances of me getting in to any of them after I've completed the test? Thanks!!
Original post by indhar98
I'm applying to study medicine at the moment and I'm going to be doing my UKCAT at the start of October. I've heard that certain universities put a lot of emphasis on having a high UKCAT score but others don't - does anyone know which universities do and don't put a lot of emphasis on them so that I can try and figure out the chances of me getting in to any of them after I've completed the test? Thanks!!

universities that place a lot of emphasis on the UKCAT include nottingham, newcastle/durham, southampton, exeter, kings, barts, QMUL, glasgow, ediburgh!

I would say universities which place little emphasis on it include cardiff, bristol, QUB, all BMAT universities etc. some universities like sheffield expect you to meet a minimum score and then they dont look at it again!
Aberdeen (ukcat 20%, predictions 30%, interview 50% - top 70 interviewed)
Durham (top 40-45% of ukcat scores invited to interview)
glasgow (top 800 ukcat scores) <--- Doesn't apply anymore apparently
plymouth
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Kittyboy
Aberdeen (ukcat 20%, predictions 30%, interview 50% - top 70 interviewed)
Durham (top 40-45% of ukcat scores invited to interview)
glasgow (top 800 ukcat scores)
plymouth

I heard that this year Glasgow will not make inteview admissions based solely on UKCAT. Btw, I got 590 and Band 1 from SJT. And I am predicting 2A* and 1A, what do you think is my chance to get into glasgow medical school?
Original post by Akyıl
I heard that this year Glasgow will not make inteview admissions based solely on UKCAT. Btw, I got 590 and Band 1 from SJT. And I am predicting 2A* and 1A, what do you think is my chance to get into glasgow medical school?

590 is low but 2a* and 1a is very very good. I wouldn't apply to Glasgow if I were you :3
Reply 5
I'll post some of the info I've put up before:

UKCAT "heavy" Med Schools are Newcastle/Durham (you can apply to both and they both purely rank on UKCAT if you meet their minimum requirements), Southampton, Exeter, Plymouth and Kings.
Aberdeen and Dundee use UKCAT fairly heavily (40%) with some academic criteria-predicted/achieved A2s for Aberdeen, check for Dundee.
Manchester rank on UKCAT then review PS.
Leicester, HYMS, UEA (I think, may have changed this year), SGUL, Queens Belfast and Nottingham have a scoring system involving GCSEs/ASs and UKCAT (publish details on their websites) and then Nottingham look at the PS of those that have scored highly enough to decide who to interview.
Barts uses UCAS score with UKCAT, so favours extra A levels, music exams etc.
Birmingham and Cardiff like lots of A* GCSEs and a good PS (though believe Birmingham may be using UKCAT too now).
Bristol is, I think, the only Uni not using an admission exam so like an amazing PS.
Liverpool is also PS heavy and scores As at GCSE the same as A* (not sure how they are going to use UKCAT as this is their first year).
Edinburgh is fairly holistic, but has a ridiculously complicated scoring system that you can find if you Google it.
St Andrews throws a bit of everything into the mix in its assessment but does use the UKCAT.
Glasgow now say they view all parts of an application equally, with very little specifics, so should be pretty holistic (they used to do a straightforward ranking o UKCAT score but stopped that last year).
I think Leeds and BSMS are fairly holistic, but I know very little about BMAT Med Schools (so ditto for UCL and Imperial).
Keele and Lancaster used to be purely PS heavy but believe they have both changed admission criteria this year and are using the UKCAT/BMAT.
I have ignored Oxbridge, though Oxford like a lot of A* GCSE and high BMAT and Cambridge like high UMS at AS level and high BMAT.

Hope that helps, but having said the above, my research was done for UG admission last year, so does not apply to postgrads and may be out of date. There is no real substitute for trawling through all the med schools websites/pages on here, etc and drawing up a spreadsheet rating your chances of gaining an interview at each one, given your stats. Tedious but informative and then it usually becomes clear where you will stand most chance of getting an interview. Most people can reject certain Med Schools very quickly because they don't fit their preferred criteria (poor GCSEs, low UKCAT, wrong 4th AS grade, weaker PS, etc) so there is unlikely to be anyone who holds all the information you are looking for-and who do you trust most with your future? Where you apply is probably more likely to determine whether you get into Medical School than your UKCAT result, AS results or GCSEs and I bet you spent hours working for those, so put in the leg work and look it all up. Good luck with your application!
Hey guys I got a score of 2750 and Band 3 on the UKCAT. Do you think I can get into universities like Glasgow, Cardiff, Nottingham and Leicester?
Original post by rachel_roar
Hey guys I got a score of 2750 and Band 3 on the UKCAT. Do you think I can get into universities like Glasgow, Cardiff, Nottingham and Leicester?

Glascow rank UKCAT, but you may have a shot, this is the least likely out of the four.

Nottingham and leicester both depend on other factors such as grades and they have a scoring system which can be found on the website so go and check them out. You can also hunt down past cut off scores by looking at last years threads.

Cardiff is a good choice for you as long as you have 5/6A* minimum at GCSE and some good work experience. They dont use the ukcat until after interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
Glascow rank UKCAT, but you may have a shot, this is the least likely out of the four.

Nottingham and leicester both depend on other factors such as grades and they have a scoring system which can be found on the website so go and check them out. You can also hunt down past cut off scores by looking at last years threads.

Cardiff is a good choice for you as long as you have 5/6A* minimum at GCSE and some good work experience. They dont use the ukcat until after interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, thank you very much! Do you think Glasgow will have a UKCAT cut-off score?
Original post by rachel_roar
Alright, thank you very much! Do you think Glasgow will have a UKCAT cut-off score?

They say on their website they invite the best 800 UKCAT scores to interview, so they must do!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would this be the same for dentistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
They say on their website they invite the best 800 UKCAT scores to interview, so they must do!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was last year's cut off?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Cardiff only use UKCAT scores with borderline candidates.)
Reply 13
Check the university website; they often tell you how much they emphasise the UKCAT
Original post by Kittyboy
(Cardiff only use UKCAT scores with borderline candidates.)

Yep only in borderline cases! It is very rarely used

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by cmfunk
Check the university website; they often tell you how much they emphasise the UKCAT

Or....if you're lazy like me:

How universities use the UKCAT

Although...criteria seems to change each year, so maybe worth looking at official site as well
All of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending