The Student Room Group

distant learning law degree opinions and advice wanted

I need to work and take care of family

I always wanted to study law and have come across Northumbria university which offer open learning degree over 4-6yrs for a cheap fee of just over a grand.

Is this worth doing via this university or are there better options available? I have vast legal experience in law firms and aim to be a barrister.
Original post by g00nies
I need to work and take care of family

I always wanted to study law and have come across Northumbria university which offer open learning degree over 4-6yrs for a cheap fee of just over a grand.

Is this worth doing via this university or are there better options available? I have vast legal experience in law firms and aim to be a barrister.

Better is very relative: for instance the distance learning LLB at BPP University is more expensive but you receive a lot of support e.g. you can attend live sessions online (there are several options including week end) and you benefit from career support and other services.

Northumbria DL programme is cheaper but mostly self-directed so you have much less support. It might be what you want and it is indeed more affordable.

There are not so many distance learning LLBs and Northumbria has a good reputation but if you want to be a barrister note that the profession is very competitive. Out of over 1500 BPTC graduates only 500 secure pupillage. To complete the BPTC part time it will take 2 more years and it is a very expensive course (£18K).

I don't know your age or background but unless you do have something very unique there is a substantial risk that you will not secure pupillage and therefore you won't be able to practice.

If you work for a law firm and have a vast legal experience you might consider alternative routes to qualify as a solicitor (e.g. CILEX) and after that you can become a solicitor advocate. The competition for training contracts as a solicitor is less fierce.

You should discuss this with Northumbria and ask for some first-hand advice. Doing an LLB will still be very valuable but if your investment is with the sole aim to become a barrister I just wanted to warn you early on!
Reply 2
Original post by christianlaw
Better is very relative: for instance the distance learning LLB at BPP University is more expensive but you receive a lot of support e.g. you can attend live sessions online (there are several options including week end) and you benefit from career support and other services.

Northumbria DL programme is cheaper but mostly self-directed so you have much less support. It might be what you want and it is indeed more affordable.

There are not so many distance learning LLBs and Northumbria has a good reputation but if you want to be a barrister note that the profession is very competitive. Out of over 1500 BPTC graduates only 500 secure pupillage. To complete the BPTC part time it will take 2 more years and it is a very expensive course (£18K).

I don't know your age or background but unless you do have something very unique there is a substantial risk that you will not secure pupillage and therefore you won't be able to practice.

If you work for a law firm and have a vast legal experience you might consider alternative routes to qualify as a solicitor (e.g. CILEX) and after that you can become a solicitor advocate. The competition for training contracts as a solicitor is less fierce.

You should discuss this with Northumbria and ask for some first-hand advice. Doing an LLB will still be very valuable but if your investment is with the sole aim to become a barrister I just wanted to warn you early on!

.....................................................................................

christianlaw,

Thank you kindly for your very informative reply.

I am not currently working within a law firm but have in the past and have done a couple of law firm placements and the odd day accompanying local solicitors to court when I had time off work.

I have also been considering the CILEX and will look into it a bit more. I applied and was offered a place on the Northumbria course which commences in a couple of weeks but last date of enrollment towards end of October. Basically I started looking into this recently and was immediately offered a place at Northumbria.

I know that becoming a barrister is very hard and would ideally do it if I had built up more contacts and I thought I did stand a good chance in my opinion when the time comes. Otherwise will do LPC and hopefully a local firm will take me on at least.
Original post by g00nies

I have also been considering the CILEX and will look into it a bit more. I applied and was offered a place on the Northumbria course which commences in a couple of weeks but last date of enrollment towards end of October. Basically I started looking into this recently and was immediately offered a place at Northumbria.

I know that becoming a barrister is very hard and would ideally do it if I had built up more contacts and I thought I did stand a good chance in my opinion when the time comes. Otherwise will do LPC and hopefully a local firm will take me on at least.

In this case I think that you are in safe hands. Northumbria has a good reputation and they offer both an LPC and a BPTC. CILEX exams (I am told) are not that easy and an LLB will give you more value. (the cilex route makes sense only if meet their work requirements -- in that case you qualify without a training contract). Is hard work but it can be done!
Reply 4
Original post by christianlaw
In this case I think that you are in safe hands. Northumbria has a good reputation and they offer both an LPC and a BPTC. CILEX exams (I am told) are not that easy and an LLB will give you more value. (the cilex route makes sense only if meet their work requirements -- in that case you qualify without a training contract). Is hard work but it can be done!

christianlaw

could you further clarify (if you do not mind) what you refer to when you said,
"the cilex route makes sense only if meet their work requirements -- in that case you qualify without a training contract"

May I kindly ask are you a solicitor or barrister or studying/studied law as you appear to have good insight in the field.
Original post by g00nies
christianlaw

could you further clarify (if you do not mind) what you refer to when you said,
"the cilex route makes sense only if meet their work requirements -- in that case you qualify without a training contract"

May I kindly ask are you a solicitor or barrister or studying/studied law as you appear to have good insight in the field.

I am a lawyer and qualified long ago. The CILEX route (as far as I recall) requires you to work as a legal executive in a law firm while doing their exams/qualifications. So if someone doesn't work in such a capacity I think that it wouldn't make much sense. After the CILEX Diploma you can qualify to be a Solicitor and you can find more information in their website. I never studied with CILEX and I have completed a traditional law degree but -- if I recall correctly -- someone in our office had to work for 3 years as a legal executive before becoming a solicitor.
The Northumbria LLB seems a bit more straightforward to me but by all means you should review the cilex website/call them for any information. http://www.cilex.org.uk/membership/getting_qualified.aspx (yes apparently the three years qualified employment is in place)

Quick Reply

Latest