The Student Room Group

Nervous about my first day at work

I am starting a new job in two weeks, I have to go to a training conference for my first day and I am very nervous about it. I hate standing up in front of people, introducing myself.
Reply 1
It's normal to feel that way. Wish you all the best with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

It's absolutely normal to feel nervous, many others there will feel this way too - so you won't be alone!

One great tip from Ted Talks that I have found particularly helpful is that body language can really help, power posing in particular.

Having tried it myself, and from positive feedback to others who this trick has been recommended to - I'd definitely encourage you to give it a go, it only takes 30 seconds - 2min!

Before you go to the training conference, pop to the wash room and power pose - this simply involves you looking up, embracing your day, stretching your arms wide open, breathing calmly, having a grin on your face. For more ideas, feel free to image search on Google to get you started.

Here;s an article talking about fears on for your first job and how to overcome this and here's the video from Ted Talks on body language and power poses if you'd like some more info.

Finally - be yourself, be passionate and enjoy your first day - it'll go a long way to making you more confident!

Good luck and if you want to discuss in more detail - feel free to inbox us :smile:

The Milkround Graduate Careers Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending