The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
By maths do you mean GCSE or A-level? Do you know whether or not they will see all your attempts? I'd have thought they would only see your highest mark achieved... Although I'm not an expert on the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What level of Mathematics are you talking about? GCSE or A-level Mathematics?
Also, what University course are you interested in?

Doing something for the 5th doesn't look good, but if you have mitigating circumstances they may overlook it.
Reply 3
GCSE
Reply 4
5th time for GCSE?! How did the school or college or whatever let you do it that many times?! How bad do you keep failing? If its below a C then I'd just give up if i was you
Original post by jojo10834
I’m hoping to go to university in 2016 but I still haven’t passed maths this my 5th attempt and I’m scared that the university’s I have applied for will frown upon it...

Right now you are not very good at maths, but you are determined. When you pass you'll be good enough at maths and still determined. Why would they have a problem with that?
Reply 6
Original post by justmoll
5th time for GCSE?! How did the school or college or whatever let you do it that many times?! How bad do you keep failing? If its below a C then I'd just give up if i was you

They made me do it early in January 2013 and then in November, I then did it last year in June and have just done it this June gone. I’ve been getting a D each time I did foundation 3 times and done higher tier for the first time this year...
Reply 7
Original post by EquityResearch
What level of Mathematics are you talking about? GCSE or A-level Mathematics?
Also, what University course are you interested in?

Doing something for the 5th doesn't look good, but if you have mitigating circumstances they may overlook it.

I’m hoping to do a History and Literature degree
Reply 8
They made me do it early in January 2013 and then in November, I then did it last year in June and have just done it this June gone. I’ve been getting a D each time I did foundation 3 times and done higher tier for the first time this year...

Are you just bad at maths or do you have Dyscalculia? Jfc
Reply 9
Are you just bad at maths or do you have Dyscalculia? Jfc

Just not very good at maths, but I’ve never gone into exams knowing most of the syllabus
Reply 10
Tbh it shows you are not giving up but trying again which is good. Hope you pass this time round. GCSE math is almost always asked for

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just not very good at maths, but I’ve never gone into exams knowing most of the syllabus

If you dont know the syllabus then clearly youre going to fail

as long as you work hard and actually achieve a C universities won't frown upon the resists, actually saying that i know someone who got into liverpool university without a C in maths even though it was said to be a requirement so work your hardest and what will be will be
Reply 13
If you dont know the syllabus then clearly youre going to fail

I’ve had about 5 different teachers over the last 3 years who have constantly started over again from the start

any particular reason why u want to go in an exam you've failed multiple times without knowing all the syllabus? xD

that was rhetorical btw :wink: learn the syllabus haha!
Reply 15
Original post by ThoughtIsFree
any particular reason why u want to go in an exam you've failed multiple times without knowing all the syllabus? xD

that was rhetorical btw :wink: learn the syllabus haha!

Haha I’ve had to resort to teaching myself and using tutorials online and they did a better job then the teacher I had this year
Reply 16
Doing it the 3rd time made it look extremely bad, 5th time is another story. Good luck though.
Haha I’ve had to resort to teaching myself and using tutorials online and they did a better job then the teacher I had this year

If i could do it with no teacher and get a B first time round just from youtube tutorials, then so can you

good luck :smile: apply to a range of unis, I'm sure you'll get in somewhere with good a level results, they're what matter the most :P
Reply 19
No it will not be looked at badly. Universities understand that some people will need to resit Maths and/or English GCSE to get into university.

Just work hard and make sure you get the grade you need for university because universities can reject you if you don't get the GCSE grade, even if you've met your A Level/BTEC offer.

Latest