The Student Room Group

Going into a career nothing to do with my first degree AMA

Did a degree in Biomedical science, graduated, just worked for a year earning £13000 a year which only required GCSE's, now I'm going off to study to be a physiotherapist. Throw some questions my way.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Physflop
Did a degree in Biomedical science, graduated, just worked for a year earning £13000 a year which only required GCSE's, now I'm going off to study to be a physiotherapist. Throw some questions my way.

What did you eat for lunch today?

Oh yeah also, what grade did you get? 2.1? 2.2?
Reply 2
£13000 is quite low for a new graduate job. Why did you aim so low.
What job did you take that gave you the 13k. Plus what if your physiotherap degree is as useless as your 2:1. what u gunna do then ?!!
Reply 4
Original post by AzimH

2:2. I didn't aim 'so low' I went into that job to give me the experience needed to get onto the physiotherapy masters I wanted to do
Reply 5
Original post by vis break
What job did you take that gave you the 13k. Plus what if your physiotherap degree is as useless as your 2:1. what u gunna do then ?!!

It wasn't that the degree was useless, it was that I didn't enjoy it in the end and it's not what a wanted a career in. The physiotherapy degree won't be 'useless' because I know its what I want to do, as I've spent the last year being a physiotherapy assistant (the 13k job)
Reply 6
2:2. I didn't aim 'so low' I went into that job to give me the experience needed to get onto the physiotherapy masters I wanted to do

Oh okay, sorry if I worded it badly. Why didn't you just do a physiotherapy undergraduate degree originally? You could have become a physiotherapist that way. Do you regret your degree choice. Thanks for answering my other question btw
It wasn't that the degree was useless, it was that I didn't enjoy it in the end and it's not what a wanted a career in. The physiotherapy degree won't be 'useless' because I know its what I want to do, as I've spent the last year being a physiotherapy assistant (the 13k job)

What career could you have gotten with your degree?
Reply 8

Yo wat u saying fam. Been seeing u a lot lately.
Reply 9
Original post by AzimH
Oh okay, sorry if I worded it badly. Why didn't you just do a physiotherapy undergraduate degree originally? You could have become a physiotherapist that way. Do you regret your degree choice. Thanks for answering my other question btw

haha no worries. When I was 17 I considered it but got put off it by people saying its stressful and not very well paid. Also, my A levels wouldn't have been good enough to get me into a uni I liked (i don't think). But mainly, at that age I was persuaded more by money and the prospect of being some amazing drug researcher not a physio! I regret it in terms of I have student debt, which I wouldn't have if I had done physio to start with, but on the other hand, I will be a much better physio now because Ive got more life and work experience, and I will work a lot harder as I know its my dream career
Reply 10
What career could you have gotten with your degree?

NHS lab worker, lots of people use biomed to get into medicine, researcher, haematologist, immunologist, forensic scientist, medical sales, disease research.
Reply 11
haha no worries. When I was 17 I considered it but got put off it by people saying its stressful and not very well paid. Also, my A levels wouldn't have been good enough to get me into a uni I liked (i don't think). But mainly, at that age I was persuaded more by money and the prospect of being some amazing drug researcher not a physio! I regret it in terms of I have student debt, which I wouldn't have if I had done physio to start with, but on the other hand, I will be a much better physio now because Ive got more life and work experience, and I will work a lot harder as I know its my dream career

Ahh I see. Anyway, I wish you all the best. take care bro.
Original post by AzimH
Yo wat u saying fam. Been seeing u a lot lately.

Nothin much G. I rate me nd u are soul mates (no homo) ennit
Reply 13
Nothin much G. I rate me nd u are soul mates (no homo) ennit

yhyh for sure no homo man. I've been alright. I've been Claiming job seekers in the sly while in uni. need the money for those armani jeans and tesco everday value bran flakes. you get me?
Original post by AzimH
yhyh for sure no homo man. I've been alright. I've been Claiming job seekers in the sly while in uni. need the money for those armani jeans and tesco everday value bran flakes. you get me?

trust, livin like a baller but not on a budget cuz cameron got ur back fam. I rate that
Reply 15
trust, livin like a baller but not on a budget cuz cameron got ur back fam. I rate that

Budget? lol i'm no peasant fam. and nah man camerons a cheeky fearless c*nt, stealin ma benefits yaknow
Original post by AzimH
Budget? lol i'm no peasant fam. and nah man camerons a cheeky fearless c*nt, stealin ma benefits yaknow

peak, baer of my benefits have been stolen. he says my clapped hairline isnt worth the disability benefit. wf fam
Reply 17
peak, baer of my benefits have been stolen. he says my clapped hairline isnt worth the disability benefit. wf fam

Lmao jheeze that's peak fam. The government are pagans bruv. But dw do what i did, go McDs and nick a child from there. Tell the government that's ur child and boom u get child benefits for the next 16 yrs. U can buy all the armani pouches and coco pops u want
Original post by AzimH

I think you'd be surprised.

I was earning circa £15k in my first job out of university with a first in Law.

The job market is pretty rough at the minute unless you want to go into sales/recruitment which is something I categorically did not want to do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by ForensicShoeMk2
I think you'd be surprised.

I was earning circa £15k in my first job out of university with a first in Law.

The job market is pretty rough at the minute unless you want to go into sales/recruitment which is something I categorically did not want to do.

Damn, I might have been too naive. I was expecting to get a 19-21k job straight after I graduate.

Quick Reply

Latest