The Student Room Group

What AS should I drop

I'm unsure of what subject to drop before A2, because my worst subject is Biology (I got a B at AS) but my school has suggested that without it I'm not an attractive university applicant even if I get A*AA in my other subjects (history, sociology and theatre studies)
I've always been better at essay based subjects and enjoy them more, and I want to do history or liberal arts at uni, but will it matter if I only have one 'facilitating' subject
I'm worried no Russel Group universities will accept me without two harder subjects (bio and history) even though I don't want to do it
Any advice? has anyone been in the same position?
All replies are appreciated
Reply 1
Hey with the research I've done so far I recommend that u drop sociology as it's not as respected and it's seen as a soft subject by many universities
Also it depends on what you want to study at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by B-Whit
I'm unsure of what subject to drop before A2, because my worst subject is Biology (I got a B at AS) but my school has suggested that without it I'm not an attractive university applicant even if I get A*AA in my other subjects (history, sociology and theatre studies)
I've always been better at essay based subjects and enjoy them more, and I want to do history or liberal arts at uni, but will it matter if I only have one 'facilitating' subject
I'm worried no Russel Group universities will accept me without two harder subjects (bio and history) even though I don't want to do it

Do you think you'd be able to continue with them all?
Hiya, I would agree generally with the person above. I would congratulate you on your success thus far, but think it would probably be best for you to choose to drop either sociology or theater studies - however cynical, I would imagine both employers and universities would be happier to see biology on your applications than both of those subjects. You may find that standard offers from universities might well be lower than what you end up receiving from universities you apply to, to account for what might be seen as a 'soft' subject.

(note: I have not myself taken either of your two 'soft' subjects as people call them, I mean no offense to those who take them I am in accordance with the view that even if you take a subject such as these, that by no means they are easy, but they do make you less attractive as an applicant).
Original post by B-Whit

I take English Literature, English Language, Sociology and Latin and have been amazed at the way some people assume sociology is really easy and a soft subject, like have they tried writing two 24mark essays in an hour? And remembering sociologists names and studies? I think that you should take the subjects you enjoy because then you are more likely to work hard at them and get good grades which is what Universities care most about. I didn't enjoy English Language AS which is why I got my worst grade in it, also a B like you. My other grades were AAA. Don't spend a year being miserable doing a subject you don't love especially if it has no relevance to the course you want to study at Uni. An A* in theatre studies looks a lot better than a U in Biology (not that you'd fail, just making a point)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Calsiwm_Silicad
Do you think you'd be able to continue with them all?

I doubt it, I'd rather share my time over three subjects and get better grades
Reply 6
Original post by oliviabuckley7
I take English Literature, English Language, Sociology and Latin and have been amazed at the way some people assume sociology is really easy and a soft subject, like have they tried writing two 24mark essays in an hour? And remembering sociologists names and studies? I think that you should take the subjects you enjoy because then you are more likely to work hard at them and get good grades which is what Universities care most about. I didn't enjoy English Language AS which is why I got my worst grade in it, also a B like you. My other grades were AAA. Don't spend a year being miserable doing a subject you don't love especially if it has no relevance to the course you want to study at Uni. An A* in theatre studies looks a lot better than a U in Biology (not that you'd fail, just making a point)

I know what you mean about the reputation of sociology! Its very frustrating that people assume its a dumb subject and this hinders applications when actually its very academic

Quick Reply

Latest