The Student Room Group

Becoming a paralegal Q&A thread

I am looking at becoming a paralegal to gain relevant valuable experience before applying for a 2018 training contract at a large commercial firm in the next round. A few questions have arisen and I would be grateful for any informed comment:

1) Should I apply through recruitment agencies or go direct to firms?

Some recruitment agencies have steered me away from positions I feel qualified for, but I know that if I go direct I could lose any value to a recruitment agency as a "new introduction".

2) Where should I target my applications given my scant credentials?

I have no LPC and minimal experience (4 weeks doing fee-earning work, 3 weeks on placement at national/international/in-house departments, several months legal volunteering). However my academics are good and my extra-curriculars strong and law related.

3) If I cannot get a job at an large City commercial outfit will this still be valuable work experience in terms of obtaining a TC in the City?

4) Should I be at all concerned that I may not obtain a paralegal job in a practice area or sector that interests me long-term?

5) Would it matter that some firms offer paralegal-type work (i.e. fee earning, own caseload, client facing) but title the role as "Legal Assistant" and suchlike.

6) I can offer a two-year commitment as I do not have to read the GDL. Would this commitment be sufficient for a typical 'permanent' paralegal role, or should I target FTCs and temporary roles?

I really do appreciate all of the help that I have received and will continue to receive through TSR. Thanks for your interest!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SLS55

Some recruitment agencies have steered me away from positions I feel qualified for, but I know that if I go direct I could lose any value to a recruitment agency as a "new introduction".

what?
Reply 2
Original post by wantatc
what?

Recruitment agencies make money by introducing candidates (us) to their clients (law firms). If you have already applied to the client your details will be on their system and you would not be classed as a (new) introduction. As such the recruitment agency would make less money if you are successful than if a new candidate was successful and they are less likely to put you forward for a position as a result. This is the case even if you have applied for a different position, at a different time, and/or in a different location.

In any case, I have secured a paralegal job at a large international commercial firm through a recruitment agency so I am happy with how things have turned out.
Original post by SLS55
Recruitment agencies make money by introducing candidates (us) to their clients (law firms). If you have already applied to the client your details will be on their system and you would not be classed as a (new) introduction. As such the recruitment agency would make less money if you are successful than if a new candidate was successful and they are less likely to put you forward for a position as a result. This is the case even if you have applied for a different position, at a different time, and/or in a different location.

In any case, I have secured a paralegal job at a large international commercial firm through a recruitment agency so I am happy with how things have turned out.

Out of interest, which recruitment agencies did you approach? I'm thinking of doing something similar, except for a year rather than two, and was struggling to decide which agencies to approach, if any.... Feel free to PM me instead if you'd prefer not to name them on here.
Reply 4
Original post by LadyLaw23
Out of interest, which recruitment agencies did you approach? I'm thinking of doing something similar, except for a year rather than two, and was struggling to decide which agencies to approach, if any.... Feel free to PM me instead if you'd prefer not to name them on here.

I didn't use any of the national recruitment agencies. I consulted one of them but had a bit of a funny time - they were not very flexible or open about their process. My strategy was as follows:

- considered where I wanted to move to (two cities in my region plus London)
- searched recruitment agencies in each of those cities and identified the agencies that had the most paralegal vacancies
- submitted my CV to every vacancy they had available and followed up the next day by telephone.

This got me one one interview with a recruiter and one telephone interview with a firm. From the recruiter interview I was invited to interview with the firm two days later and received an offer the following day. The role is in a regional office of well known City firm. You may prefer London work (as would have I) but there are clearly good opportunities in the regions as I will be working in their specialty practice (Band 1 ranked nationwide) and expected to train and qualify at the firm in due course.

Have PM'd you the name of the individual recruitment agencies in case you are local.
Original post by SLS55
I didn't use any of the national recruitment agencies. I consulted one of them but had a bit of a funny time - they were not very flexible or open about their process. My strategy was as follows:

- searched recruitment agencies in each of those cities and identified the agencies that had the most paralegal vacancies
- submitted my CV to every vacancy they had available and followed up the next day by telephone.

This got me one one interview with a recruiter and one telephone interview with a firm. From the recruiter interview I was invited to interview with the firm two days later and received an offer the following day. The role is in a regional office of well known City firm. You may prefer London work (as would have I) but there are clearly good opportunities in the regions as I will be working in their specialty practice (Band 1 ranked nationwide) and expected to train and qualify at the firm in due course.

Have PM'd you the name of the individual recruitment agencies in case you are local.

Thanks very much!
Hello Everyone,I need a little bit of advice. I'm on my last year of my Accelerated LLB and there's a possibility that I will not be able to progress to the LPC due to funding troubles.I'm looking at the prospects of becoming a paralegal and I understand there are two types;> Secretarial Role > Can practice one area of lawFor the 2nd point, what qualifications would I need to enter into that field?Thank you.
Reply 7
No qualifications are needed to be a paralegal. Most firms which are recruiting for a paralegal will want someone with 1-2 years prior experience as a paralegal. There are fewer opportunities for new entrants and those roles will combine fee-earning practice with administrative work. They will normally be at regional/local firms.
Reply 8
Hey all,

I'm a recent Law graduate (1st), but I haven't secured a training contract. I contacted some recruitment agencies, but they all told me that I have no chance for their paralegal positions. I feel that this is a bit unfair. I want to get experience from the commercial world and considering I've got a Law degree, the obvious way is going for a paralegal job.

Additionally, when trying to get into other sectors, recruiters are always questioning my motivation to leave the legal sector. I've applied directly to law firms, but they seem to be looking for long-term paralegals.

What should I do? Do you have any advice on finding temporary Paralegal positions that are suitable for me?

Thanks!
I noticed that most paralegal position advertised require candidates who are LPC Graduates. Do you think it's possible to secure a paralegal position without having done the LPC and with no previous paralegal experience?
Reply 10
Original post by J-SP
There are temp paralegal projects (paid hourly or daily rates for very short period of time) and FTCs. Look out for them.

There's little point applying for permanent paralegal roles if you are just looking for it to be a filler until you secure a TC.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for them, however most are requiring extensive experience which I lack since I recently graduated. I am definitely looking to make my CV look better and get some commercial experience, but I struggle finding the sector/the roles which are suitable for such kind of situation.
Reply 11
Original post by J-SP
Try other business service roles within firms - things like business development admin roles, pro bono admin roles etc. Get your foot in the door and then if you impress other legal roles might come about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I will do this. I guess you would recommend applying directly to firms rather than seeking help of recruitment agencies. Am I correct?
Reply 12
To your questions:

1) Should I apply through recruitment agencies or go direct to firms?

Sign up by all means. Some are utterly useless, and of course jobs aren't always available. Applying to firms directly will at least get your toe in the door. Make sure you do it with a cover letter. Usually targeting one department specifically, such as Commercial Litigation, works best.

2) Where should I target my applications given my scant credentials?

Research firms just as thoroughly as you would to apply for Training Contracts. Not all firms require experience in Paralegaling.

3) If I cannot get a job at an large City commercial outfit will this still be valuable work experience in terms of obtaining a TC in the City?

Yes. Consider lowering your sights from being a City lawyer though, there's nothing wrong or inhibiting practicing Law in the regions.

Remember that just because you're a paralegal at a firm does not mean they have to even consider offering you a Training Contract or giving you preferential treatment, no matter what they say to your face.

4) Should I be at all concerned that I may not obtain a paralegal job in a practice area or sector that interests me long-term?

No. If you can't become a paralegal then look at any form of commercial experience - even working in Sales or any form of 'desk job' dealing with commerce can be sufficient.

5) Would it matter that some firms offer paralegal-type work (i.e. fee earning, own caseload, client facing) but title the role as "Legal Assistant" and suchlike.

No.

6) I can offer a two-year commitment as I do not have to read the GDL. Would this commitment be sufficient for a typical 'permanent' paralegal role, or should I target FTCs and temporary roles?

Many roles are fixed term contracts, lasting the duration of a single matter. They will keep you on if there are other matters to move you on to. No bad thing, you can experience several firms as a result.
Hi, I am also looking for paralegal roles but I'm finding it rather difficult to secure one without the LPC. I'm intending to take the LPC in September and I'm continuing to apply for TC's/ Vac schemes etc. However, in the interim I'm finding it difficult to secure a paralegal role. My question is are legal admin roles in good city firms considered as good experience? Is it advisable to try and get this sort of role then a paralegal role? How would this type of experience stand on a TC application.
Reply 14
Original post by lawyer2bb
Hi, I am also looking for paralegal roles but I'm finding it rather difficult to secure one without the LPC. I'm intending to take the LPC in September and I'm continuing to apply for TC's/ Vac schemes etc. However, in the interim I'm finding it difficult to secure a paralegal role. My question is are legal admin roles in good city firms considered as good experience? Is it advisable to try and get this sort of role then a paralegal role? How would this type of experience stand on a TC application.

Commercial experience, such as a position in a business, will stand you in just as good, if not better, stead for a Training Contract application.

You should also ensure you have plenty of extra curricular activities.

If you are struggling to become a Paralegal, look into positions as a legal secretary (especially once you've finished the LPC). They are much better paid, less exploited, more respected, and gets your foot in the door at a firm. Look into qualifications you'll need - such as typing speed - and which agencies can place you.

Don't get stuck in the paralegal trap.
Original post by L1005
Hey all,

I'm a recent Law graduate (1st), but I haven't secured a training contract. I contacted some recruitment agencies, but they all told me that I have no chance for their paralegal positions. I feel that this is a bit unfair. I want to get experience from the commercial world and considering I've got a Law degree, the obvious way is going for a paralegal job.

Additionally, when trying to get into other sectors, recruiters are always questioning my motivation to leave the legal sector. I've applied directly to law firms, but they seem to be looking for long-term paralegals.

What should I do? Do you have any advice on finding temporary Paralegal positions that are suitable for me?

Thanks!

why not try some entry level positions such as admin
Original post by Mimir
Commercial experience, such as a position in a business, will stand you in just as good, if not better, stead for a Training Contract application.

You should also ensure you have plenty of extra curricular activities.

If you are struggling to become a Paralegal, look into positions as a legal secretary (especially once you've finished the LPC). They are much better paid, less exploited, more respected, and gets your foot in the door at a firm. Look into qualifications you'll need - such as typing speed - and which agencies can place you.

Don't get stuck in the paralegal trap.

Thank you for your helpful response.
Would you also say that legal admin roles (entry level) within firms are a good for now without an LPC as a law graduate?
In terms of roles within a business what would you say are great roles to target?
Reply 17
Original post by comebackseason
why not try some entry level positions such as admin

Thanks for the suggestion! I have tried that and I would guess I can get an admin job, but it won't be at a law firm, because (again) they are looking for someone who will not leave in a few years. :smile:
Original post by L1005
Thanks for the suggestion! I have tried that and I would guess I can get an admin job, but it won't be at a law firm, because (again) they are looking for someone who will not leave in a few years. :smile:

you could always get the entry level position and move up in the firm...to a paralegal and possibly do CILEX
Reply 19
Original post by SLS55

Hi,

could you please give me some recruitment agencies's names please? Ive been in London for 4 months now and couldn't find anything ...

thank you in advance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending