The Student Room Group

how can this be justified

http://www.thenational.scot/news/he-cannot-talk-read-or-write-but-tories-want-severely-disabled-stuart-chester-fill-in-20-page-form-to-keep-benefits.6995

Downs syndrome, epilepsy and autism?

I mean seriously? Hasnt he and his mother got enough to deal with without crap like this?

What do those blue blooded Tory slimeballs expect to happen? A miracle from God? Santa Claus to take his conditions away? The tooth fairy to wave a magic wand?

Ok "tantamount to genocide" is taking it too far but come on, this is just ignorant

Scroll to see replies

You say autism, they say ignorant. You say depression, they say lazy. You say anxiety, they say an excuse.
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
You say autism, they say ignorant. You say depression, they say lazy. You say anxiety, they say an excuse.

And Downs Syndrome? Epilepsy?
Original post by silverbolt
And Downs Syndrome? Epilepsy?

Similar things.
Original post by shawn_o1

You say mental illness, the say lololololo lo l
http://www.thenational.scot/news/he-cannot-talk-read-or-write-but-tories-want-severely-disabled-stuart-chester-fill-in-20-page-form-to-keep-benefits.6995

Downs syndrome, epilepsy and autism?

I mean seriously? Hasnt he and his mother got enough to deal with without crap like this?

What do those blue blooded Tory slimeballs expect to happen? A miracle from God? Santa Claus to take his conditions away? The tooth fairy to wave a magic wand?

Ok "tantamount to genocide" is taking it too far but come on, this is just ignorant

I didn't read the whole article, but surely filling in a form as proof is pretty reasonable? Any system will require evidence etc to work fairly.
Reply 6
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I didn't read the whole article, but surely filling in a form as proof is pretty reasonable? Any system will require evidence etc to work fairly.

Forms that would have been filled in before. More than likely more than once.

He could always just get no benefits. How long does filling in a few bits of paper take?
Reply 8
Original post by Skip_Snip
He could always just get no benefits. How long does filling in a few bits of paper take?

A 20 page document to simply repeat information that has been provided before? And seeing as how finicky those forms can be. Hours. Hours taken for a person that already needs full time care

If it was a first time claim then yeah sure fair enough - though i doubt it would actually require or need 20 pages but there we go.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you follow the right people on twitter, you'll see how hard it is for some of them to get by day by day either because of BS bureaucracy, or some other bull****. It's all bull****, and Tories like IDS don't care.
If you are going to have welfare benefits then you shouldn't have to go through loads of tests or bureaucracy to get them. There is far too much bureaucracy in our society as it is. Simply show your passport to receive them and then get them. If they exist then they should be basic and only short-term however.
I'm surprised the Tories have all this money to print out 20 page documents with these budget cuts...
Erm, there is far worse than this going on and has been for some years
IT'S THOSE RICH TORIES AND THEIR BANKAH FRIENDS AT IT AGAIN!

Posted from my iPhone™

Students need to complete a lengthy student finance form every year, for example.

Don't see the issue here. You can't expect a benefits system to not require evidence. Perhaps you could improve the implementation, but the central idea is hardly massively controversial.
Reply 15
Original post by aamirac
I'm surprised the Tories have all this money to print out 20 page documents with these budget cuts...

Oh yes they do. If it means a few people will be cut out of benefits because the bureaucrats can find something that does not align in these 20 pages forms, it is a net win for them.
Students need to complete a lengthy student finance form every year, for example.

Don't see the issue here. You can't expect a benefits system to not require evidence. Perhaps you could improve the implementation, but the central idea is hardly massively controversial.

Students dont have the conditions this young man has, or the difficulties in caring for him.

My issue is not the form filling itself, but the fact that it has to be done again. This young mans condition is not going to change, he is going to live with it for the rest of his life, this is known already by his medical team and the benefits team as his carer will already had to fill in the forms before now. There is no need for another 20 page document to be sent out
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
If you are going to have welfare benefits then you shouldn't have to go through loads of tests or bureaucracy to get them. There is far too much bureaucracy in our society as it is. Simply show your passport to receive them and then get them.

Haha, why? If all iit takes is a passport, then everyone could do it.

If they exist then they should be basic and only short-term however.

Short term? Some people will never be capable of working.

I mean, unless his Down's is going away I don't see why he needs to fill out a full form more than once.
Filling a form is reasonable, and systems meant for many are never gonna make EVERY happy because we aren't all the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending