The Student Room Group

Is it worth talking about dissertations?

I'm from Scotland but I'm going to apply to a couple unis in England for Law (Oxford & UCL). Our equivalent to A levels is Advanced Highers, and for AH Modern Studies (Basically politics) I have to write a 5,000 word dissertation. I'm also doing a similar task in English, although that only requires 3,000 words. I thought it might be worthwhile to talk about how I felt the independence afforded to me during the tasks, as well the as research skills that I learned etc. has prepared me well for university. From what I can tell, large folios like that aren't generally the norm in the rUK unless you do an EPQ which is generally worthwhile talking about. Am I correct in thinking this? Is it worthwhile to talk about my dissertation? Thanks
Talk about it if it's relevant to law, otherwise I wouldn't mention it - the referee can mention study skills
Reply 2
Original post by *Interrobang*
Talk about it if it's relevant to law, otherwise I wouldn't mention it - the referee can mention study skills

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. I do my AH subjects outside of school as they are unable to offer them but my reference will be from my school. Do you think it would seem false for my referee to talk about study skills from the dissertation?
Original post by Topo15
Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. I do my AH subjects outside of school as they are unable to offer them but my reference will be from my school. Do you think it would seem false for my referee to talk about study skills from the dissertation?

Yes that will be fine. TBH the admissions tutors will know what skills you will develop from your subjects
Reply 4
Original post by *Interrobang*
Yes that will be fine. TBH the admissions tutors will know what skills you will develop from your subjects

I'll just leave it to the referee then. Thanks for the help
Original post by Topo15
I'll just leave it to the referee then. Thanks for the help

No worries :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending