The Student Room Group

2017 TC secured - Where to study LPC?

I graduated last year with a law degree and last week I was pleased to secure a Training Contract with a regional firm with a 2017 start.

They will not be funding the LPC so I have some decisions to make. I am currently based out of the East Midlands and I was looking at the LPC provided by De Montfort University in Leicester. Does anyone have any experience of the course and the positives/negatives? Are there scholarships available?

In addition, are there any clear benefits from going to study the LPC at the University of Law or BPP down in London?

Any input would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
I'm starting the LPC at BPP Holborn in a couple weeks so I can't give any insider opinions yet. However, I do know Nottingham Law School have a great LPC - had I had to do it independently I would have done it there having been to an open evening.

More generally, maybe it would be good an institution that offers electives that are in line with the type of law practiced by your firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pp93
I'm starting the LPC at BPP Holborn in a couple weeks so I can't give any insider opinions yet. However, I do know Nottingham Law School have a great LPC - had I had to do it independently I would have done it there having been to an open evening.

More generally, maybe it would be good an institution that offers electives that are in line with the type of law practiced by your firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice. Let me know how you get on at BPP!

Agreed. I'm going to drop an email to the firm this morning asking if they have any preference for modules.

Attending open evenings also sounds like a good idea!
I don't think it makes any difference where you do the LPC if you are funding yourself.

It is likely your new employers will say do the modules you want to do - it is going to help you if you do ones relevant to their firm though (obv) and this gives you a more helpful start on the TC.

If you are motivated and work hard, the LPC will be fine - you don't need the careers service of the larger providers (!) so go to the cheapest one!

your firm won't mind where you go - they just need you to have the qual.

well done on the TC by the way!

Original post by ForensicShoeMk2
I graduated last year with a law degree and last week I was pleased to secure a Training Contract with a regional firm with a 2017 start.

They will not be funding the LPC so I have some decisions to make. I am currently based out of the East Midlands and I was looking at the LPC provided by De Montfort University in Leicester. Does anyone have any experience of the course and the positives/negatives? Are there scholarships available?

In addition, are there any clear benefits from going to study the LPC at the University of Law or BPP down in London?

Original post by ForensicShoeMk2

Hi,

First of all, congratulations on securing your Training Contract!

BPP University Law School are still accepting applications for the LPC programme. You can find out more about modules, degree structure and other course information here: http://www.bpp.com/postgraduate-course-details/d/postgraduate/LPC/146.

Since you mentioned you live in the East Midlands, we do offer the LPC at our Birmingham centre, if moving to London wasn't something you wanted to consider.

If you do want any advice or information please feel free to contact our postgraduate admissions department on 03331 307 487.

Hope this helps!

Best of luck in your future career.

Alice
Original post by J-SP
There's no clear benefit to studying in London, especially if you are not going to do your TC in the area.

I'd only recommend doing the LPC in London if it meant you could meet your fellow cohort of trainees and to help settle you into life in the city before starting your training contract but neither of these apply in this instance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers J-SP. You're an asset to this forum :smile:

Original post by happyinthehaze
I don't think it makes any difference where you do the LPC if you are funding yourself.

It is likely your new employers will say do the modules you want to do - it is going to help you if you do ones relevant to their firm though (obv) and this gives you a more helpful start on the TC.

If you are motivated and work hard, the LPC will be fine - you don't need the careers service of the larger providers (!) so go to the cheapest one!

your firm won't mind where you go - they just need you to have the qual.

well done on the TC by the way!

Thanks! I've since spoken to them and they've pretty much given me free reign over which modules I can pick which is nice!

Original post by BPP University
Hi,

First of all, congratulations on securing your Training Contract!

BPP University Law School are still accepting applications for the LPC programme. You can find out more about modules, degree structure and other course information here: http://www.bpp.com/postgraduate-course-details/d/postgraduate/LPC/146.

Since you mentioned you live in the East Midlands, we do offer the LPC at our Birmingham centre, if moving to London wasn't something you wanted to consider.

If you do want any advice or information please feel free to contact our postgraduate admissions department on 03331 307 487.

Hope this helps!

Best of luck in your future career.

Alice

Thanks Alice. I'll take a look at the website now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending