The Student Room Group

Closed Discussion

This discussion has been closed.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry that I can't go into more detail here- there's alway the chance that somebody I know in real life could come across this. I can PM someone with many more details if necessary.
You know what's tough about EC's in England though? Everything costs a lot of money and some schools really don't focus on them because it isn't at all valued by universities here. So it's tough. I would say you need to really search around and get involved in some more things before bothering. The Common Application opened this August so get searching before going back to classes.
Why would you want to go there? USA?
-Most expensive education world wide
(Most senators are still paying off their debts lmao, fees aren't withdrawn after 30yrs like in the UK)
-You probably get shot and killed by some depressed kid before you can complete your degree
-US employers will F**** you over.
-When Trump or Hilary are elected...the country will go to ****e.
Stay in the EU :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by PinkRhinos
(Most senators are still paying off their debts lmao, fees aren't withdrawn after 30yrs like in the UK)
-You probably get shot and killed by some depressed kid before you can complete your degree

That second one though :giggle:

Couldn't have said it any better myself!
Reply 5
Is it too late picking up some ECs at the start of the year? Or if I really want to come to America, is it better to do my first degree in the UK and do well, and then apply to an American uni for postgrad?
(edited 8 years ago)
What sort of ECs are you thinking of?
Reply 7
Original post by ReputableChav
What sort of ECs are you thinking of?

I play the piano to a respectable level (around DipABRSM standard) and I've played it for over eight years. Would my plans to do debating, fundraising and volunteering (at a local primary school) count?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by flibber
I play the piano to a respectable level (around DipABRSM standard) and I've played it for over eight years. Would debating, fundraising and volunteering (at a local primary school) count?

Yeah sounds good. You're basic aim is to make yourself seem more interesting and to step away from the crowd. Along with those, any hobbies would be an extra bonus.

There's always sports, dance, art, languages etc.

Whatever you do, make it fun or it will all just be a total drag.
Reply 9
Yeah sounds good. You're basic aim is to make yourself seem more interesting and to step away from the crowd. Along with those, any hobbies would be an extra bonus.

There's always sports, dance, art, languages etc.

Whatever you do, make it fun or it will all just be a total drag.

Sorry, I think I implied that I was already doing these things. I meant to say that I am planning to do them over the course of the next academic year (in September).
Original post by flibber
Sorry, I think I implied that I was already doing these things. I meant to say that I am planning to do them over the course of the next academic year (in September).

Yeah I understood don't worry. I only mentioned the others as things ECs to be aware of. The ones you plan for look good but as I mentioned, make sure to enjoy them. I've sort of got the same plan going, I'm starting to learn Spanish, increasing my level of Russian, learning piano, reading more etc. I'm trying to make these things part of my normal routine and I recommend you do the same with the activities you'll be doing.
Reply 11

Trump is crazy but while Hillary is personally questionable (like Bill), she's at least qualified.
Reply 12
Yeah I understood don't worry. I only mentioned the others as things ECs to be aware of. The ones you plan for look good but as I mentioned, make sure to enjoy them. I've sort of got the same plan going, I'm starting to learn Spanish, increasing my level of Russian, learning piano, reading more etc. I'm trying to make these things part of my normal routine and I recommend you do the same with the activities you'll be doing.

Would furthering my knowledge of French (which I learned for 5 years at school) count, or do they prefer other languages?
Original post by flibber
Would furthering my knowledge of French (which I learned for 5 years at school) count, or do they prefer other languages?

Spanish may be a bit more helpful in America, geographically speaking, but the main point is having a language. If you don't continue to learn it for university, do it for yourself. Languages are ridiculously useful!

I recommend you stick with French. It's a romance language so compared to a lot of other languages is pretty easy.
Reply 14
Spanish may be a bit more helpful in America, geographically speaking, but the main point is having a language. If you don't continue to learn it for university, do it for yourself. Languages are ridiculously useful!

I recommend you stick with French. It's a romance language so compared to a lot of other languages is pretty easy.

Thanks. Do they care about extracurriculars for postgraduate as much as they do for undergraduate?
Original post by flibber
Thanks. Do they care about extracurriculars for postgraduate as much as they do for undergraduate?

No idea sorry, even if they don't you'll still have to do the for undergrad so there's little point thinking about it ^^
Reply 16
No idea sorry, even if they don't you'll still have to do the for undergrad so there's little point thinking about it ^^

I meant that if I find that I don't have a realistic chance for undergrad, is it possible to get in there for postgrad if I do my first degree in the UK and do well?
Original post by flibber
I meant that if I find that I don't have a realistic chance for undergrad, is it possible to get in there for postgrad if I do my first degree in the UK and do well?

Uhm, of course, why wouldn't it be??
A lot of people have done an undergrad outside the US and then a masters in the US.
But you're literally so far ahead it's pretty pointless/crazy.
After your undergrad you're ideally looking for 3-5 years work experience/activities before doing a masters because US universities place a lot of value on that as they want students who basically got their hands dirty in real life already as oppose to just being a good book-smart student.
(Unless maybe you want do do theoretical physics)...

But you're literally making plans for something thats probably 7-8 years from now...

There is so much that will happen until then.
I wouldn't personally think about it too much other than in brief detail.
Just make sure you can get as good of an undergrad degree as possible and do a lot of activities (Unis know that you're most likely doing it to be a more attractive candidate rather than out of passion per se and that's perfectly fine, what's the difference?).
But make sure to enjoy life a bit as well, undergrad years are supposed to be the best years of your life lol, you're only young once... and there's other things than simply increasing your employability/acceptance rate :biggrin:
Reply 18
Uhm, of course, why wouldn't it be??
A lot of people have done an undergrad outside the US and then a masters in the US.
But you're literally so far ahead it's pretty pointless/crazy.
After your undergrad you're ideally looking for 3-5 years work experience/activities before doing a masters because US universities place a lot of value on that as they want students who basically got their hands dirty in real life already as oppose to just being a good book-smart student.
(Unless maybe you want do do theoretical physics)...

But you're literally making plans for something thats probably 7-8 years from now...

There is so much that will happen until then.
I wouldn't personally think about it too much other than in brief detail.
Just make sure you can get as good of an undergrad degree as possible and do a lot of activities (Unis know that you're most likely doing it to be a more attractive candidate rather than out of passion per se and that's perfectly fine, what's the difference?).
But make sure to enjoy life a bit as well, undergrad years are supposed to be the best years of your life lol, you're only young once... and there's other things than simply increasing your employability/acceptance rate :biggrin:

Thanks for your advice! I didn't know they expect years of work experience/'real life' experience in America before heading off to a second degree. In Britain, isn't it possible for someone to apply for a second degree not too long after the completion of their first degree? Things seem to be a lot different there than I thought.
Original post by flibber
Thanks for your advice! I didn't know they expect years of work experience/'real life' experience in America before heading off to a second degree. In Britain, isn't it possible for someone to apply for a second degree not too long after the completion of their first degree? Things seem to be a lot different there than I thought.

Tell me what subject area you plan on doing for undergrad and what you have in mind for masters? Even vaguely

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending