The Student Room Group

Oxegen 2007

Anyone going to this?

Seriously thinking of buying tickets when they go on sale, that line-up is pretty good so far (taken from efestivals):

Snow Patrol - confirmed
Muse - confirmed
Scissor Sisters - confirmed
Arcade Fire - confirmed
My Chemical Romance - confirmed
Amy Winehouse - confirmed
Ash - rumour
Babyshambles - confirmed
Bloc Party - confirmed
Channel One - rumour
CSS - confirmed
Daft Punk - confirmed
David Kitt - rumour
Director - rumour
Duke Special - rumour
Fall Out Boy - rumour
Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly - strong rumour
Goo Goo Dolls - confirmed
Interpol - confirmed
James Morrison - confirmed
Kings of Leon - confirmed
Klaxons - confirmed
KT Tunstall - rumour
Lily Allen - rumour
Mika - rumour
Paolo Nutini - rumour
Radiohead - rumour
Razorlight - confirmed
Royseven - rumour
Simple Kid - strong rumour
The Blizzards - rumour
The Fratellis - confirmed
The Immediate - rumour
The Killers - to be confirmed
The Kooks - confirmed
The Rakes - rumour
The Twang - rumour
The View - rumour
Tori Amos - confirmed

Bands in bold, who I'd probably go and watch :wink:

Is there anyone who's been before who has any opinions on it? Bit concerned about the supposed trouble there was last year though.

Weekend with camping tickets are 197 euros :smile:

I've already been looking at flights, can get a return from Blackpool to Dublin for £50, not too bad!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As you know, I'll probs be going (and to T in the Park as well :biggrin:). Is a pretty good lineup. I would put Killers, radiohead, babyshambles and MCR (for bottling purposes) in bold as well
K41

Is there anyone who's been before who has any opinions on it? Bit concerned about the supposed trouble there was last year though.

Weekend with camping tickets are 197 euros :smile:

I've already been looking at flights, can get a return from Blackpool to Dublin for £50, not too bad!

I flew over for the weekend last year but only went to the festival on the sunday (stayed in Dublin and did other things for the rest of the time I was there) as the line-up only really appealed to me on that day.

I've heard bad things about the campsite but I don't think it's really any worse than Reading/Leeds if you've ever been there. Obviously I only saw the arena and not the campsite, but the arena was great. Brilliant layout, easy to get around different stages (of which there are many, far more than most festivals), the stalls and food vans were diverse, the toilets were clean (yes, and this was on sunday morning :P).

The sound at the main stage was dodgy at times, and they had some problems with the big screens. Generally the sound was better the closer you were to the stage. It was really quite bad by the big tripod sound tower things (though bear in mind the weather was horrible, so wind probably didn't help the matter).

They do have a golden circle at the front (main stage), so if you want to be close, be prepared to queue! (I queued for about half an hour to get into it for Placebo, who were fourth from top, to give you an example). If you wanted to be right at the front for the headliner you'd probably need to go in a few hours before and just stay there. Although I'd have liked to see RHCP from the front I didn't want to watch Kaiser Chiefs and after they'd finished I just didn't attempt to get back into the front section (it's really not very big at all, Reading's golden circle last year was much bigger and also didn't require queuing).

Erm..not sure what else to say really. The line-up for Oxegen is usually fantastic but it's not necessarily going to compare, in terms of atmosphere, to other festivals. People usually have a lot to say against Oxegen, some of which is probably a bit unfair, but obviously I can't comment on the campsite. If riots and things are going to scare you I'd advise booking yourself into a hotel and getting a bus to and from the site each day (this is really easy and also quite cheap). It'll also mean not having to fly over with tent and other camping equipment.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions if there's anything else you think I might know the answer to!
vector
As you know, I'll probs be going (and to T in the Park as well :biggrin:). Is a pretty good lineup. I would put Killers, radiohead, babyshambles and MCR (for bottling purposes) in bold as well

eh? how can you go to both? They're on at the same time, aren't they?
Reply 4
Are they!?!?!? *******s
vector
Are they!?!?!? *******s

Afraid so. They're basically the same festival (hence the line-ups being almost identical). Bands which play T on saturday will play Oxegen on sunday and vice versa.
Reply 6
Swines :p:
vector
Swines :p:

haha, but why would you want to go to (what is essentially) the same festival twice, anyway?
Reply 8
K41
OP
vector

I hope you mean all 4 of them, not just MCR! :p:

bruisepristine
I flew over for the weekend last year but only went to the festival on the sunday (stayed in Dublin and did other things for the rest of the time I was there) as the line-up only really appealed to me on that day.

I've heard bad things about the campsite but I don't think it's really any worse than Reading/Leeds if you've ever been there. Obviously I only saw the arena and not the campsite, but the arena was great. Brilliant layout, easy to get around different stages (of which there are many, far more than most festivals), the stalls and food vans were diverse, the toilets were clean (yes, and this was on sunday morning :P).

The sound at the main stage was dodgy at times, and they had some problems with the big screens. Generally the sound was better the closer you were to the stage. It was really quite bad by the big tripod sound tower things (though bear in mind the weather was horrible, so wind probably didn't help the matter).

They do have a golden circle at the front (main stage), so if you want to be close, be prepared to queue! (I queued for about half an hour to get into it for Placebo, who were fourth from top, to give you an example). If you wanted to be right at the front for the headliner you'd probably need to go in a few hours before and just stay there. Although I'd have liked to see RHCP from the front I didn't want to watch Kaiser Chiefs and after they'd finished I just didn't attempt to get back into the front section (it's really not very big at all, Reading's golden circle last year was much bigger and also didn't require queuing).

Erm..not sure what else to say really. The line-up for Oxegen is usually fantastic but it's not necessarily going to compare, in terms of atmosphere, to other festivals. People usually have a lot to say against Oxegen, some of which is probably a bit unfair, but obviously I can't comment on the campsite. If riots and things are going to scare you I'd advise booking yourself into a hotel and getting a bus to and from the site each day (this is really easy and also quite cheap). It'll also mean not having to fly over with tent and other camping equipment.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions if there's anything else you think I might know the answer to!

Oooh thank you! Muchly appreciated! :smile:

I'm not personally too bothered about the trouble, heard it was mostly dodgy drug incidents (which I'd go nowhere near anyway) and tent burning, and it can't be as bad as what's happened at Leeds in recent years! My bf was at the really bad riots of 2002 I think it was, and he survived ok! He reckons they were fuelled by the extortionate prices and the crap weather, and people working there being idiots.

I think we will camp, but out of interest, are there buses back into Dublin at the end of each night then?

And with the golden circle, is it like 1 in 1 out then? I've only ever been to V where they didn't have a golden circle, so dont know how it works!

Cheers :smile:
Reply 9
You'd bottle the Killers :eek:
Reply 10
bruisepristine
haha, but why would you want to go to (what is essentially) the same festival twice, anyway?

Why not? It'll be my third time for Muse and Bloc party, which is no bad thing :biggrin:
Reply 11
K41
OP
vector
You'd bottle the Killers :eek:

Yes I think I would these days, urgh I hate them. Sam's Town is AWFUL. Used to be such a big fan too :frown: Met them and everything, they're nice guys though!

And if I go to Oxegen and see Muse, it will be my 7th time :proud:
K41

I think we will camp, but out of interest, are there buses back into Dublin at the end of each night then?

yep, we booked ours in advance so I'm not too sure if they can be bought on the day. They were €20 return I think.

And with the golden circle, is it like 1 in 1 out then? I've only ever been to V where they didn't have a golden circle, so dont know how it works!

Cheers :smile:

pretty much, yeah. There are also bag searches on the way into the golden circle and they take bottle tops off you.

p.s. bottling bands is horrible. :frown:
vector
Why not? It'll be my third time for Muse and Bloc party, which is no bad thing :biggrin:

hmm, I guess I can understand your point of view a little (having seen Placebo 10 times, soon to be 12, heheh) but I still really can't imagine doing the same festival twice! Doing V and then Reading less than a week afterwards is exhausting enough :p:
Reply 14
bruisepristine

I would never really do it :wink:
Reply 15
K41

And if I go to Oxegen and see Muse, it will be my 7th time :proud:

Yeah, but nobody likes you :p:
Reply 16
K41
OP
bruisepristine
yep, we booked ours in advance so I'm not too sure if they can be bought on the day. They were €20 return I think.

pretty much, yeah. There are also bag searches on the way into the golden circle and they take bottle tops off you.

Ok thanks :smile:

And I would never bottle a band either :wink:

vector
Yeah, but nobody likes you :p:

:frown: :bawling:
Reply 17
K41

:frown: :bawling:

I fail to see how someone can be crying that soon after posting they'll be seeing Muse for the 7th time :smile:

You know I was just joking :p:
Reply 18
Is probably going to Oxegen this year :smile: w00t
Reply 19
K41
OP
vector
You know I was just joking :p:

I hope you were :frown: :p:

0uro*
Is probably going to Oxegen this year :smile: w00t

You going for Muse? I am! :biggrin: Have you been before?

Latest