The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Forensic Science courses. But i have to warn you. The real CSI work is nothing like the tv show.
Reply 2
Chemistry and Biology are the obivous ones...
Reply 3
forensics isn't a choice but is biology necessary
Reply 4
It depends what you want to be, do you want to be a CSI (former SOCO) with the Police where you gather the evidence or do you want to work for the Forensic Science Service and analyse DNA evidence etc. The TV program merges these two together!

If you want to work for the FSS then do a degree in Biology or Chemistry and then do an MSc in Forensic Science at KCL.

For a SOCO/CSI I don't think you would need the Masters but you do need to do a special course. Can't remember which.
Reply 5
do medical physics
Reply 6
I'm doing criminology, but I'd rather be a detective.
SOCO/CSI is a non-degree level position. Any pure science + masters in forensics is usually for a job as a forensic scientists.
Reply 8
thanx every 1 !!! i'll think about it a lot but gotta concentrate on my exams n i don't have to pick till august or somethime round then
natural sciences.
Reply 10
There is no particular course. But if you want to go into forensics, Chemistry is essiantial. (I assume you know that Forensics and CSI are two totally different things.)

One is civilian, the other is not. And they do two, very different jobs.
Reply 11
Yes i know they are different i've always wanted be something like that before i watched CSI!!
Be warned that lots of people have the same idea as you - there are too many forensics/CSI graduates and not enough work for them right now. A friend of mine is in this situation.
Look for RSC accredited programmes because at least you can then get a job doing something else chemical if all else fails, rather than spending lots of money retraining to be a toxicologist.
Reply 14
By the way if you are basing your career choice solely on watching CSI then I can warn you- its nothing like that in real life. Ive done work experience with the SOCOS at my local police force and it was totally different, and nowhere near as glamorous or exciting as it seems on TV.

If its a SOCO you want to work as then you're better off doing your A Levels and then looking for vacancies, as they will provide on the job training.

I am finising my Forensic Science degree this year (accredited by both the RSC and FSS by the way) and then going to do my MSc this Sep. Its in no way as easy at it looks, with loads of chem and biol involved, so you need a strong science background if you are thinking of doing this degree.
Reply 15
I said i wanted to be a CSI type person well before i watched CSI the show!!!!
Well i have a good at least three years before Uni!! so you never know i could be just in time when everyone gives up! lol.
Any hoo if i move away as i might be doing they might have jobs there!!
I love Biology and Chemistry so i think i'll get on quite fine with them.

Latest