The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Singh_87
Cool, what position?

had a look at his card...its says 'high yield' something something.
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
andy_85
Cass ranked first in London and third in UK

Cass moves up in Guardian University Guide 2008

Tuesday, 1 May, 2007

Cass Business School has been ranked the top in London and third in the UK for undergraduate Business and Management Studies according to The Guardian University Tables 2008, published today.

This ranking applies to all business studies, management studies, finance, accounting, marketing, human resource management and business and administrative studies. Last year Cass was ranked 4th in London and 13th in the UK.

Seven statistical measures are used to contribute to the ranking of a university or college in each subject, weighted as follows:
- Teaching quality - as rated by graduates of the course (10%)
- Feedback - as rated by graduates of the course (5%)
- Spending per student (17%)
- Staff/student ratio (17%)
- Job prospects (17%)
- Value added - comparing students' degree results with their entry qualifications (17%)
- Entry score (17%)

Scores are marked out of 10 in bands, in order to compare like with like. For each subject that it teaches, an institution is given a Guardian score, based on these seven measures. The Guardian score for each institution in each subject is derived from a weighted average of the standardised scores for each measure, converted into a scale in which the highest ranked institution gets 100 points and all institutions receive a positive score.

The tables are compiled in association with EducationGuardian.co.uk by Campus Pi, an applied research department at Brunel University. The rankings are compiled from the most recent figures available - official 2005-06 returns from universities and higher education colleges to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (Hesa). They also incorporate data from the National Student Survey (NSS) 2006, published by the Higher Education Funding Council for England.

City University was ranked 26th out of the 100 Universities listed in this report.

To view the rankings online, please visit the Guardian website.
The guardian used the same ranking scheme last year, and soton was ranked 3rd for Maths. This year they fell 3 pages :hmmmm:
Reply 62
Mustard I am still in a bit of a dillema! Do you think Actuarial science at CASS or Engineering at UCL would be better for finance in general?
Reply 63
f.amir
he joined in summer 05...

Thats cool, I think :P
Reply 64
f.amir

...bonds?
Reply 65
Mustard-man
The guardian used the same ranking scheme last year, and soton was ranked 3rd for Maths. This year they fell 3 pages :hmmmm:

Yeah they use some weird way doing the rankings, I would personally take The Times one as a bit more accurate.
v2006
Mustard I am still in a bit of a dillema! Do you think Actuarial science at CASS or Engineering at UCL would be better for finance in general?
I told you last time that I would have chosen SCORE at UCL...

fblade
Yeah they use some weird way doing the rankings, I would personally take The Times one as a bit more accurate.
Whatever they used, it sure fluctuates. Yeah, stick to the Times.
Reply 67
Hahah This city forum is coming to life now when it's getting close to school start
Reply 68
Mustard-man

thats because the times puts the majority of its emphasis on research scores and entry levels. where as the guardian uses spending per student, value added, job prospects etc which can vary from year to year. particularly if a uni chooses to remove some of the money being spent on teaching you to fund research instead. but in the end they are both statistical measurements and have to be taken with a pinch of salt
Reply 69
f.amir

Lol, I think you should probably have a chat with your brother.... He might be able to explain what he does better than his business card.
andy_85
thats because the times puts the majority of its emphasis on research scores and entry levels. where as the guardian uses spending per student, value added, job prospects etc which can vary from year to year. particularly if a uni chooses to remove some of the money being spent on teaching you to fund research instead. but in the end they are both statistical measurements and have to be taken with a pinch of salt
Yeah, I know how they compiled it. But haven't you realised how much they fluctuate each year? It's just random, and shouldn't be taken seriously at all.

Bagor is 5th for Maths. Yeah, funny thing is, they don't even offer Maths.
Singh_87
Lol, I think you should probably have a chat with your brother.... He might be able to explain what he does better than his business card.

spoke to him...lol....European credit trading to be precise.
Reply 72
Mustard-man

lol that is ****ed up:biggrin:
Reply 73
Mustard-man
Yeah, I know how they compiled it. But haven't you realised how much they fluctuate each year? It's just random, and shouldn't be taken seriously at all.

well as i said things like spending and and employment rates can fluctuate massively, also last year they did the subject listings based on the entry level which i found a little misleading so im glad they've changed it around this year. as for bangor i think thats because they take in the broader subject of maths rather than just the conventional subject.. so it includes subjects such as statistics and computer science
Reply 74
Breee
what course?

Well.. i got into cass for d 3/4 yr business program.. and nottigham for d management studies course....so ya.. im totally confused wat 2 choose...
Reply 75
Anuradha
Well.. i got into cass for d 3/4 yr business program.. and nottigham for d management studies course....so ya.. im totally confused wat 2 choose...

I personally would choose Nottingham.
Reply 76
Anuradha

Nottingham is a better university in general. However, I have heard good things about Cass's business programmes, and Nottingham are not well known for their business/management degrees.
Reply 77
Econometrician
You've just flushed your career down the drain.

totally agree! thats a pitty
Reply 78
my cousin is at notts doing business bachelor! and she is very satisfied with the lectures, research and prestige of the university in general! i have visited her several times. I also went on the open day and it was amazing.:smile:
Reply 79
Singh_87
Nottingham is a better university in general. However, I have heard good things about Cass's business programmes, and Nottingham are not well known for their business/management degrees.

that is not true at all! notts has a very reputable business school! and besides that a gorgeous campus and good accommodation! another thing city lacks is the accommodation.! Notts is a much more prestigious uni than city and cass together.:cool:

Latest