The Student Room Group

Parents are trying to dictate my life, urgh!!!

First they want me to follow their religion, then they want to me to get married & have kids. I am at least glad they've finally happy with my career choice though, but difficulties still remain. I'm not sure what I can do as they are my parents but I feel I might have to lose touch with them later on if they keep going as they are & don't change their views :frown:
Original post by Multitalented me
First they want me to follow their religion, then they want to me to get married & have kids. I am at least glad they've finally happy with my career choice though, but difficulties still remain. I'm not sure what I can do as they are my parents but I feel I might have to lose touch with them later on if they keep going as they are & don't change their views :frown:

ok. i get where you're coming from.
but...

is there something you really really want to do, and therefore you're resentful of them having expectations that don't match your aspirations?

or...are you just mad you can't live up? no offense, promise. you don't have to answer me, just answer for yourself because there's really no need to be mad. You're a grown man, we're the same age, we're both desi, even though I'm not sure you're Pakistani or Indian. But anyway lol erm yea. I'm not at all worried about what my mother thinks about me because...**** it. I do what I want! :ahee: you should've let this be known as a teenager, tbh. Then she'd lay off. You gotta be brave without being dumb.

K. I'm done.
Original post by Man.bear.pig
ok. i get where you're coming from.
but...

is there something you really really want to do, and therefore you're resentful of them having expectations that don't match your aspirations?

or...are you just mad you can't live up? no offense, promise. you don't have to answer me, just answer for yourself because there's really no need to be mad. You're a grown man, we're the same age, we're both desi, even though I'm not sure you're Pakistani or Indian. But anyway lol erm yea. I'm not at all worried about what my mother thinks about me because...**** it. I do what I want! :ahee: you should've let this be known as a teenager, tbh. Then she'd lay off. You gotta be brave without being dumb.

K. I'm done.
I'm British Bengali haha. I'm starting to meet more people now & making more friends so I feel this is crucial moving forward as I don't really get on with my family & dislike a lot of their views. I find it annoying when they preach about their religion (Islam) a lot & try & make me feel really guilty but I guess it's something they hold very dear to their heart. I don't want to have a massive argument with them as they are still my family but I have my own personal views that I'm not planning on changing. I don't want to get married, have children or be religious & I'm pretty sure that's not going to change (especially the latter 2). They need to come to terms with that, I wasn't born to just please them!

Anyway you're right I just have to be firmer, I still kind of have an emotional attachment deep down with my parents, but on certain things, I'm sorry but I'm just not going to go along with it...
I'm British Bengali haha. I'm starting to meet more people now & making more friends so I feel this is crucial moving forward as I don't really get on with my family & dislike a lot of their views. I find it annoying when they preach about their religion (Islam) a lot & try & make me feel really guilty but I guess it's something they hold very dear to their heart. I don't want to have a massive argument with them as they are still my family but I have my own personal views that I'm not planning on changing. I don't want to get married, have children or be religious & I'm pretty sure that's not going to change (especially the latter 2). They need to come to terms with that, I wasn't born to just please them!

Anyway you're right I just have to be firmer, I still kind of have an emotional attachment deep down with my parents, but on certain things, I'm sorry but I'm just not going to go along with it...

Be careful with your outrage. They may ship you back to Bangladesh where you wont have an option but to listen to their views
Reply 4
You have to see it like a good thing, they want the best for you. My parents are sort of like that but I tend to ignore it, even though I know its the bestfor me. Give it time and it should get better.

that can be seen as controversial across the board but you know do you. This probably just saddens them, but Idk you or them personally enough to say, they're being this way or that way toward you.
that can be seen as controversial across the board but you know do you. This probably just saddens them, but Idk you or them personally enough to say, they're being this way or that way toward you.
Yeah I know but it saddens me that they believe in things that support child genital mutilation & people being tortured in hell. I could have been born to different parents & they still might not have been supportive of all my choices, meh...
Yeah I know but it saddens me that they believe in things that support child genital mutilation & people being tortured in hell. I could have been born to different parents & they still might not have been supportive of all my choices, meh...

you have VMs/PMs disabled :erm: so I'll just answer here:
It's not random to ask, it's fine, I don't mind. So I'm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Trinidadian_and_Tobagonian but specifically my father's blood family is mainly from Bhojpur and Uttar Pradesh. My mum is Tamil and black but erm was adopted with one of her brothers by family friends who are Hindi speakers so yea I'm quite mixed in that regard and am still learning Hindi myself.

Yes, my mum is very religious but dabbles between Christian beliefs because of how her second family raised her, yet still holds onto Hindu practices because of her roots upon getting to know her real family; my dad and his siblings being elitists :colonhash: have apparently converted to Catholicism, as many wealthy people on his island are Catholic. I am not close to him though so I try to support my maternal family's practices and went to primary school that is faith based in Hinduism :smile:

So yea I'm not Muslim and don't know much about it but I get feeling pressured and having to step out on your own. Even though my dad and I aren't close anymore, when I lived with him and his family in Trinidad they looked at me as the golden child for some reason. He has other sons but I am my mother's only son and so when I meet her family it's all about me since I was a kid and the whole relationship I have is a mess as far as being judged for my slightest imperfections while somehow being held to some unrealistic herculean standards. :facepalm2: I really don't speak to anyone in my family for advice or what moves I'm making in life, they don't really know me personally but when they need money or man hands they somehow find me :ninja:
Reply 8

You never want to get married and have kids?
you have VMs/PMs disabled :erm: so I'll just answer here:
It's not random to ask, it's fine, I don't mind. So I'm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Trinidadian_and_Tobagonian but specifically my father's blood family is mainly from Bhojpur and Uttar Pradesh. My mum is Tamil and black but erm was adopted with one of her brothers by family friends who are Hindi speakers so yea I'm quite mixed in that regard and am still learning Hindi myself.

Yes, my mum is very religious but dabbles between Christian beliefs because of how her second family raised her, yet still holds onto Hindu practices because of her roots upon getting to know her real family; my dad and his siblings being elitists :colonhash: have apparently converted to Catholicism, as many wealthy people on his island are Catholic. I am not close to him though so I try to support my maternal family's practices and went to primary school that is faith based in Hinduism :smile:

So yea I'm not Muslim and don't know much about it but I get feeling pressured and having to step out on your own. Even though my dad and I aren't close anymore, when I lived with him and his family in Trinidad they looked at me as the golden child for some reason. He has other sons but I am my mother's only son and so when I meet her family it's all about me since I was a kid and the whole relationship I have is a mess as far as being judged for my slightest imperfections while somehow being held to some unrealistic herculean standards. :facepalm2: I really don't speak to anyone in my family for advice or what moves I'm making in life, they don't really know me personally but when they need money or man hands they somehow find me :ninja:
That's weird as my privacy setting for VMs is set for "everyone" but anyway so you consider yourself Christian/Hindu then? Or non-religious?
Yeah that's a good way to go, I mean it is your life not your parents life at the end of the day, especially as an adult you have to make many big decisions by yourself. It's sad that you don't really see your dad anymore though, & they somehow find you :confused: gosh...

That's weird as my privacy setting for VMs is set for "everyone" but anyway so you consider yourself Christian/Hindu then? Or non-religious?
Yeah that's a good way to go, I mean it is your life not your parents life at the end of the day, especially as an adult you have to make many big decisions by yourself. It's sad that you don't really see your dad anymore though, & they somehow find you :confused: gosh...

Lol yea well I go the University where my mum works. So her colleagues will let her know where I am and she knows my sched as she can just ask her friends in H&R, bursars or a professor or something so :colonhash: I considered transferring but decided I'm not gonna screw myself up and my livelihood just to run away from her? Lol so whatever. I don't consider myself anything, religious wise. I just don't scream to the sky that there's no God and try to be the best person I can be as far as like family values and preparing for a good family, so keeping myself employed, educated, safe, within law mostly and healthy.

Lol yea well I go the University where my mum works. So her colleagues will let her know where I am and she knows my sched as she can just ask her friends in H&R, bursars or a professor or something so :colonhash: I considered transferring but decided I'm not gonna screw myself up and my livelihood just to run away from her? Lol so whatever. I don't consider myself anything, religious wise. I just don't scream to the sky that there's no God and try to be the best person I can be as far as like family values and preparing for a good family, so keeping myself employed, educated, safe, within law mostly and healthy.
Oh right, that must be annoying, sometimes when I'm out I'm worried either my parents or people who know my parents will see me & report back to them :dong: Anyway I think that's a good philosophy to have, "live & let live!" :smile:
Oh right, that must be annoying, sometimes when I'm out I'm worried either my parents or people who know my parents will see me & report back to them :dong: Anyway I think that's a good philosophy to have, "live & let live!" :smile:

did you see the img i put up. it's of what i see on my screen why I can't vm you. however i don't mind chatting out here, idc what ppl think and if they see our convo but if you want to go there you know go see wat's up.
did you see the img i put up. it's of what i see on my screen why I can't vm you. however i don't mind chatting out here, idc what ppl think and if they see our convo but if you want to go there you know go see wat's up.

I've asked a community member to check what's wrong aha :tongue: Are you not able to PM me either as some people can?
I've asked a community member to check what's wrong aha :tongue: Are you not able to PM me either as some people can?

when's the last time you got a pm because I've been pming others. It's really not a big deal though, we can chat here lol
when's the last time you got a pm because I've been pming others. It's really not a big deal though, we can chat here lol
About an hr ago with regards to the other thread I made about my parents haha :lol: :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending