The Student Room Group

I swear "men prefer curves" is such a lie!

So I used to be STICK thin, at 5ft7 I weighed about 7 and a half stone. I didn't look ill but I was just very... Fragile looking. I had no issues with food I was just naturally lanky. I was mega self conscious and always desperate to gain weight. I hated my boyish figure and was constantly bombarded with the message that "real women have curves".

So fast forward a few years and I'm now in my twenties and have inevitably gained some weight (about 2 stone altogether). I also do a lot more exercise and lift weights so generally have more muscle. I'm still slim, a size 10 but I've got more of a 'womanly' figure with a bum, hips and thighs. I'm quite happy with my figure now, I'm strong and I'm not poorly all the time like I was when I was skinny... And clothes actually fit me.

Thing is... I got WAY more male attention when I was stick thin. Even boyfriends I've had since I've put on weight have seen photos of the skinny-me and I thought their reaction would be "ew gross"... But instead they've said I used to look hot and wasn't too skinny at all!

Last year i went travelling and ended up losing about half a stone, and I wasn't happy with my body as I felt I lost some curves.. But my boyfriend said he preferred it and didn't understand why I wanted to gain the weight back again.

I don't get it! Why all the hype around men liking a woman with " meat on her bones"!

Scroll to see replies

Just because they don't approach you does not mean that they don't like curves...
It is true I'm a size 6 no guys approach me maybe once or twice a year. My friends are curvy size 14+ get approached at least weekly.
Curves doesn't mean "2 stone fatter" (not that you are fat, more average I'd say). When men talk about curves I think they mainly mean shapely rather than what size you are. It's just that shapely is harder to achieve when you're skinny and may require favourable bone structure.
Just go back to the way you feel comfortable and confident with yourself.
Original post by Anonymous
So I used to be STICK thin, at 5ft7 I weighed about 7 and a half stone. I didn't look ill but I was just very... Fragile looking. I had no issues with food I was just naturally lanky. I was mega self conscious and always desperate to gain weight. I hated my boyish figure and was constantly bombarded with the message that "real women have curves".

So fast forward a few years and I'm now in my twenties and have inevitably gained some weight (about 2 stone altogether). I also do a lot more exercise and lift weights so generally have more muscle. I'm still slim, a size 10 but I've got more of a 'womanly' figure with a bum, hips and thighs. I'm quite happy with my figure now, I'm strong and I'm not poorly all the time like I was when I was skinny... And clothes actually fit me.

Thing is... I got WAY more male attention when I was stick thin. Even boyfriends I've had since I've put on weight have seen photos of the skinny-me and I thought their reaction would be "ew gross"... But instead they've said I used to look hot and wasn't too skinny at all!

Last year i went travelling and ended up losing about half a stone, and I wasn't happy with my body as I felt I lost some curves.. But my boyfriend said he preferred it and didn't understand why I wanted to gain the weight back again.

I don't get it! Why all the hype around men liking a woman with " meat on her bones"!

Please stop generalising men, we are not all the same, we are beings with independent thought just like yourself and we have different opinions
Original post by ElectronDonor
Please stop generalising men, we are not all the same, we are beings with independent thought just like yourself and we have different opinions

I have the exact same opinion, somewhat dampening our argument here.
Reply 7
Original post by scrotgrot
Curves doesn't mean "2 stone fatter" (not that you are fat, more average I'd say). When men talk about curves I think they mainly mean shapely rather than what size you are. It's just that shapely is harder to achieve when you're skinny and may require favourable bone structure.

But I'm much more shapely now than when I was skinny,so it doesn't make sense that guys preferred me skinny

. My hips, bum and boobs have grown but my waist has stayed quite small, so I'm more hourglass now.. And I'm not fat, if you consider I was very underweight.. My bmi is still quite low (think it's about 21) and that's if you count some of the weight increase is muscle.
Skinny is the way to go for both genders

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol there's something you're doing wrong.
This thread is like me being told girls like black guys with afros, me growing an afro, and then saying girls liking afros is a lie because nobody gives it attention...no logic at all
But I'm much more shapely now than when I was skinny,so it doesn't make sense that guys preferred me skinny

. My hips, bum and boobs have grown but my waist has stayed quite small, so I'm more hourglass now.. And I'm not fat, if you consider I was very underweight.. My bmi is still quite low (think it's about 21) and that's if you count some of the weight increase is muscle.

Ehh I dunno really. Maybe you just look better skinny or you choose boyfriends with traits which also make them prefer skinny girls. It's hard to say especially with the muscles as a third factor in the equation. I guess if you want answers it's pics or gtfo :wink:
The vast vast majority of us find curves extremely attractive :dontknow:

Curvy doesn't mean fatter. If you store fat on your hips, ass and thighs and you have a slim waist and a bubble butt, you're curvy.

I don't know why guys won't approach you now but it's definitely not because of your curves.
Personally I like skinny women (size 6-8), then athletic women who work out like yourself and then average and chubby. Few men actually prefer fatties.
Men do prefer curves. Slim women with small waists and wide hips, not rolls upon rolls!
Maybe skinny suited you? I dunno, I definitely go for curvier girls.
Reply 16
Original post by bassbabe
Men do prefer curves. Slim women with small waists and wide hips, not rolls upon rolls!

We have a winner.
Original post by bassbabe

I don't have rolls upon rolls...

I have a 27inch waist and 39inch hips!
I don't have rolls upon rolls...

I have a 27inch waist and 39inch hips!

Curvy :smile:
It is a lie and it isn't, the truth is that men all prefer different things and that propagating the idea that 'curvy' shapes are superior is anti productive as it causes a body shaming culture to all who does not fit in this category. Some men prefer thin, petite girls while others are drawn to curvaceous girls. In my opinion, it is best to be confident in your natural and healthy self and rest assured that the men you attract are actually attracted to you as you are.

Quick Reply

Latest