The Student Room Group

Is the GDL right for me?

Hi,

I'm sure there has been many discussions on the GDL, but here goes..

I've just graduated from Southampton with a 2:1 in History and am considering if undertaking the GDL and pursuing a career in law is right for me.
I've never really had a solid plan for what I wanted to do after uni, but recently law has become more and more appealing to me. But is the GDL really as hard as everyone makes out? the reason I ask is because I've never had a huge amount of confidence in my academic abilities and it is a big commitment to make.
Also, what is the best or most common route to become a solicitor after the GDL?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
bit of a silly question, but is law reallyyyyyy what you would like to have a stab at?
There's quite famously a big surplus of lawyers/law graduates... Have a think about that and really look into graduate prospects for any institution you're considering :smile:
Original post by andre2012
Hi,

I'm sure there has been many discussions on the GDL, but here goes..

I've just graduated from Southampton with a 2:1 in History and am considering if undertaking the GDL and pursuing a career in law is right for me.
I've never really had a solid plan for what I wanted to do after uni, but recently law has become more and more appealing to me. But is the GDL really as hard as everyone makes out? the reason I ask is because I've never had a huge amount of confidence in my academic abilities and it is a big commitment to make.
Also, what is the best or most common route to become a solicitor after the GDL?

Thank you :smile:

The GDL is not *that hard* in the sense that you are not going to learn rocket science but the difficulty lays in the huge amount of information to absorb in such a short amount of time. Do you have a good memory ? Do you like reading legal cases ?
There are several GDL options but most of them have all the exam sittings in 1 month (May) so taking 7 exams in one go is very intensive.

After the GDL you would need to complete the LPC and secure a training contract. The market is very competitive and full of very committed people. The work depends entirely in which area you will practice and where. So it can be very interesting and rewarding but, at times and especially in the beginning, it can also be not that exciting so keeping motivated is essential.

If you are motivated to do the GLD and finish you can certainly do it but you need to be willing to work hard (in terms of amount of readings, exercises, mock exams etc.).

What did you study in your degree?
Reply 4
Thanks for all the replies, I studies History at Southampton. As there is no real defined career path from my degree I've had trouble deciding what I want to pursue. I love to learn new things and Law seems like something that will really challenge me
Thanks for all the replies, I studies History at Southampton. As there is no real defined career path from my degree I've had trouble deciding what I want to pursue. I love to learn new things and Law seems like something that will really challenge me

If financing the GDL is not an issue you should consider it and I think that you will find it challenging but fair. History could give you a good foundation -- I assume that you are used to remember facts and dates and in the GDL being able to remember the cases and how to apply the law is pretty much the main challenge. Please do let me know if need any further advice. Have you already consider when you will start and where?
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice, no I haven't really thought much about it. Money isn't an issue but I would hope to start as soon as possible, so assuming its too late for September maybe January. Does the prestige of the institution really matter?I was thinking maybe the University of Law at Guildford or maybe the University of Sussex
Thanks for the advice, no I haven't really thought much about it. Money isn't an issue but I would hope to start as soon as possible, so assuming its too late for September maybe January. Does the prestige of the institution really matter?I was thinking maybe the University of Law at Guildford or maybe the University of Sussex

If money is not an issue you should go for it. I have some experience with the University of Law and BPP. Among these two (that are the biggest providers for the GDL and LPC) I think that BPP has a better system and more support. I don't know the Sussex programme but it might be smaller and you might have a smaller but enthusiastic cohort.

The institution prestige doesn't really matter that much but you obviously need to consider which University feels right for you. I know that BPP is still taking some students and perhaps also the University of Law will still accept you for September. The course in most places starts at the end of Sept. or October so you should give them a call and find out.
Reply 8
great, thanks very much for the help!
Reply 9
Have you done any law work experience? No point committing to the GDL if you find the work of a lawyer uninteresting, just sayin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending