The Student Room Group

Newcastle vs Leeds

I'm trying to decide between Newcastle or Leeds, I'm in two minds whether I should go for just the course or whether I should make a decision based on the overall experience, the majority of posts I've seen say the course but I'm not sure as they're both good unis with good/bad points.
I've visited Newcastle a few times and Leeds only once in the holidays and I didn't get the 'true experience' maybe?

Newcastle Pro's:
I like the city and the feel of the place, everyone seems really friendly and welcoming.
I like the campus, it's central and open.
I know the City quite well now and feel comfortable there.
Student Support is great.

Cons: Course is slightly different to what I originally wanted to do, it offers a mix of two subjects (I've not studied Sociology before and I'm not very confident about it because of this). It does have 100% Satisfaction rating on Stats.
3rd year modules aren't as varied as Leeds for Psychology and I didn't find the Open days talk as interesting as other Unis (but I haven't been to Leeds talk!)

Leeds Pro's:
Busy City, Central campus with Accommodation for 1st year also.
Good Psychology course, 3rd year modules are varied and have a stronger aim to my interests.
Respected University

Cons: Don't know Leeds as well as Newcastle, Campus isn't as close-knit.
Doesn't have as high % in Satisfaction or Support.

I would really like to get involved in Sport and I'm not sure Newcastle are as open to Novices as Leeds maybe, could anyone advise which maybe friendlier? I would really like to try Rowing!

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Reply 1
Can no one offer any opinion at all? Please...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dance40
Can no one offer any opinion at all? Please...
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

I'm biased, obviously I think Newcastle is great :wink: I'm a recent graduate of Newcastle and happy to give you my opinion and answer any questions you have, but I totally understand if you want current/prospective students' views. If you post in our TSR Forum http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=784, you might get more replies there :smile:

I can help with the Rowing question, though! Our Boat Club competes at a high level, with some members going on to row for Team GB, but they also have a programme for beginners - no experience necessary :smile: There are contact details for the club President on the Students' Union website or you could send them a message through their Facebook page if you want to chat to them about it.

If you want to try other water-based sports we have Canoe, Sailing & Yachting and Surf clubs, among others. A lot of people are surprised at how close we are to the sea here :smile:

Hope that helps a bit, and like I said just let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Persephone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending