The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do, and Im really depressed and stressed

So I just finished year 12
Got EEE
Cried my eyes out, currently so stressed
Need atleast 1 D to move forward into year 13

I am atleast 2 UMS away from a D grade in one unit, I could:
A) planning on getting a unit remarked, but will it bring the overall E up to an overall D grade?
Don't know what to do, or where to go
B) Completely change my subjects and retake the year
C) Retake exams during A2, but that'll be very difficult

I really want to keep my subjects, and due to the new education laws on funding, the government no longer funds students who retake the year and take the SAME subjects. however, if a student retakes the year with different subjects, it'll be funded.So my only option to keep my same subjects, is to REMARK a module, and bring it up to a D grade. But I am unsure if just remarking a UNIT, will bring the overall E grade up to a D so EEE turns into DEE

Business studies edexcel exam UNIT 1- 2 UMS OFF D
UNIT 2- 4 UMS OFF D
I want to remark ONE UNIT. to bring the overall E grade to a D
Will remarking and getting the 2 UMS get me a D grade

Help is needed
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
B or C,

If you retake the year, and manage to do well in A2, you're in a better boat than people who get AAAA at AS then flop A2. So flopping at AS given that you do well at A2 isn't important at all, provided that you can gain the confidence of your masters to grant you sufficiently good predictions to get into university.

As to B or C, that depends on whether you worked or not for your AS levels. if you worked hard, then change, if you didn't, keep them the same.

C, will be very difficult, but is possible.
Reply 2
Have you thought about resitting the year? Sorry btw. Try speaking to a teacher about your options, you change subjects or re-sit the same ones or carry them onto A2 but the latter would be very difficult to get you As or Bs overall.
op I hope you feel better soon x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Mamoixen
B or C,

If you retake the year, and manage to do well in A2, you're in a better boat than people who get AAAA at AS then flop A2. So flopping at AS given that you do well at A2 isn't important at all, provided that you can gain the confidence of your masters to grant you sufficiently good predictions to get into university.

As to B or C, that depends on whether you worked or not for your AS levels. if you worked hard, then change, if you didn't, keep them the same.

C, will be very difficult, but is possible.

I forgot to mention, I really want to keep my subjects, and due to the new education laws on funding, the government no longer funds students who retake the year and take the SAME subjects. however, if a student retakes the year with different subjects, it'll be funded
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Xlxl23
Have you thought about resitting the year? Sorry btw. Try speaking to a teacher about your options, you change subjects or re-sit the same ones or carry them onto A2 but the latter would be very difficult to get you As or Bs overall.

Yeah, I have thought about resitting the year, but I really don'y want to change my subjects, seeming as they're the only ones I enjoy, and I have studied them for a year to know the content.
But the new funding system won't allow me to retake the same subjects.
So the only way for me to move forward with the same subjects is if I remark a module and get a D overall. So turning an E into D, which is what im confused about
Reply 6
Original post by GreenNinjaa
Yeah, I have thought about resitting the year, but I really don'y want to change my subjects, seeming as they're the only ones I enjoy, and I have studied them for a year to know the content.
But the new funding system won't allow me to retake the same subjects.
So the only way for me to move forward with the same subjects is if I remark a module and get a D overall. So turning an E into D, which is what im confused about

If you enjoy them then the only think you can do is take them forward. Just work really hard. Wish you all the best
Reply 7
I forgot to mention, I really want to keep my subjects, and due to the new education laws on funding, the government no longer funds students who retake the year and take the SAME subjects. however, if a student retakes the year with different subjects, it'll be funded

Well if you want to go to University, I assume you're going to be getting a loan anyway. So, you may as well find a fraction of the financing you'll need at University, to resit your AS levels.
Reply 8
Well if you want to go to University, I assume you're going to be getting a loan anyway. So, you may as well find a fraction of the financing you'll need at University, to resit your AS levels.

I've tried funding myself, the government doesn't allow it
Ironic right
Reply 9
I've tried funding myself, the government doesn't allow it
Ironic right

Bank, Parents, Job, work part time. I was partially home-schooled so I know the costs of exams.

It's not that expensive.

- Depends on the exam board, I was with AQA. I took exams at a local exam centre, which I had to pay for.....

a) Exam registration with the exam board
b) Invigilator (someone to man your exam)
c) Papers

It will cost you around a grand to do three AS levels, then you could go back to your college and join from A2?

I appreciate you may not have £1000, why don't you get a part time job?
(edited 8 years ago)
Bank, Parents, Job, work part time. I was partially home-schooled so I know the costs of exams.

It's not that expensive.

No, I meant most mainstream educational places don't accept private students.
And, its like £210 to resit every exam
Reply 11
I assume you want a large improvement on the grades you got at AS. I am not sure whether I can give good advice on the matter but resitting while doing A2 will be incredibly stressful as you'll have to pull those AS grades up and still score a higher percentage in your A2 modules which will have harder content.

If you were set on a specific degree and are passionate about it then I would resit year 12 and improve on where you went wrong, whatever that may be. Perhaps you procrastinated too much, went out too much or your revision strategy was no good. Get to the root of the problem and try your hardest to improve this year. You should know what it takes now and use this heartbreak to motivate yourself when you get down, just tell yourself that you never want to feel like you did on this results day ever again.

If not, then completely change your subjects but when doing so make sure you know what those subjects can lead to in the future and whether or not those professions interest you.
No, I meant most mainstream educational places don't accept private students.
And, its like £210 to resit every exam

So what's that, at most £2000? Given that some exams have 2 exams and others have 3.

It's a small price to pay if you are going to University. By the sounds of your current financial situation, it sounds as if you'll be applying for a maintenance loan on top of tuition loan, so you may as well...

It's not that expensive.

- Depends on the exam board, I was with AQA. I took exams at a local exam centre, which I had to pay for.....

a) Exam registration with the exam board
b) Invigilator (someone to man your exam)
c) Papers

It will cost you around a grand to do three AS levels, then you could go back to your college and join from A2?

I appreciate you may not have £1000, why don't you get a part time job?

Its all easier said than done
I do currently have a part-time job, but i'm no way near a grand just yet anyways
Anywho
Will remarking one unit bring my E grade up to a D grade if I did get the 2UMS marks?
So what's that, at most £2000? Given that some exams have 2 exams and others have 3.

It's a small price to pay if you are going to University. By the sounds of your current financial situation, it sounds as if you'll be applying for a maintenance loan on top of tuition loan, so you may as well...

Why go through the hassle, if I can somehow bring that E grade to a D
Is that so much to ask for?
ughhhh
Its all easier said than done
I do currently have a part-time job, but i'm no way near a grand just yet anyways
Anywho
Will remarking one unit bring my E grade up to a D grade if I did get the 2UMS marks?

I did do it.

I don't know if it's worth it, EED is almost worse than not doing it at all to be honest with you. Especially considering that your AS is counted towards your final A2 grades.

If you can I'd say try and resit them. If not, then do the next best thing which is what you've said.

I'm sure it will all work out in the end, and everything will work out just fine.
I did do it.

I don't know if it's worth it, EED is almost worse than not doing it at all to be honest with you. Especially considering that your AS is counted towards your final A2 grades.

If you can I'd say try and resit them. If not, then do the next best thing which is what you've said.

I'm sure it will all work out in the end, and everything will work out just fine.

By bringing an EED up to a CCC at least is going to be a mission. And I know for a fact, I will work extremely hard to bring out the best outcome.
So I guess I'll remark then, ONLY if it can change an E grade to a D, that's the only thing im worried about man.
Thank you for you help, much appreciated!
By bringing an EED up to a CCC at least is going to be a mission. And I know for a fact, I will work extremely hard to bring out the best outcome.
So I guess I'll remark then, ONLY if it can change an E grade to a D, that's the only thing im worried about man.
Thank you for you help, much appreciated!

Yeah, remark mate and then work your *** off to get it up to the grades you want for A2. It's a shame you don't have the money to resit the year, but if you can end up with decent grades with spending as little time and money as possible, that's the best option. Good luck.
Yeah, remark mate and then work your *** off to get it up to the grades you want for A2. It's a shame you don't have the money to resit the year, but if you can end up with decent grades with spending as little time and money as possible, that's the best option. Good luck.

You my friend, have actually motivated me
Thanks, and will do!
(edited 8 years ago)
I really want to keep my subjects, and due to the new education laws on funding, the government no longer funds students who retake the year and take the SAME subjects. however, if a student retakes the year with different subjects, it'll be funded.

I really hate that the government has chosen to make so many huge changes to the education system in such a short amount of time. They're trying to change as much as possible while they still have power, but it's at the cost of students' self esteem and ultimately their success.

I'd recommend pursuing the subjects in your A2 year and re-sitting all of the exams you've taken so far. It'll be a hellish year, but once it's over and you've got your results it might just be worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest