The Student Room Group

Why do black people commit more crime?

This is going to be controversial!

Its fairly well established that, per capita, there are more african-descent criminals in the UK than caucasians or other minorities.

This is usually explained as down to social factors which are in turn due to prejudice.

Does it REALLY logically follow in modern Britain that prejudice against minority races causes them to be economically unsuccessful and therefore more likely to commit crime? And if so, why dont we see similar correlations for other persecuted minorities, for example Pakistanis? What other factors are there?

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's certainly all down to economic deprivation, but that isn't really a result of prejudice but rather that fact that most black migrant came to Britain for low skilled jobs and they've found it harder to climb the social ladder en masse due to that initial poverty and the existance of a culture of anti-intellectualism.

More importantly, though. Why can't black people swim at a top level?
Reply 2
People from that background, immigrant or children of immigrants often come from their home countries with nothing, and therefore have little here also. This as the TS said makes it harder for them to climb the ladder and can result in the kind of poverty that breeds crime.

On the other hand, many, due to hard work and such, are comfortable in their economic status therefore are less likely to commit crime. So you can't really tar them all with the same brush.
Its fairly well established that, per capita, there are more african-descent criminals in the UK than caucasians or other minorities.

90% of street crime is commited by african or jamaicans in the uk. It's because theyre poor, but also the gang culture which is present in every estate in all the cities which encourages such tings.
Reply 4
TheThirdMan
90% of street crime is commited by african or jamaicans in the uk. It's because theyre poor, but also the gang culture which is present in every estate in all the cities which encourages such tings.

90%? If it really is that high then deportation got to be the best solution for everyone.
Reply 5
UnaChance
People from that background, immigrant or children of immigrants often come from their home countries with nothing, and therefore have little here also. This as the TS said makes it harder for them to climb the ladder and can result in the kind of poverty that breeds crime.

On the other hand, many, due to hard work and such, are comfortable in their economic status therefore are less likely to commit crime. So you can't really tar them all with the same brush.

The vast majority of african-descent persons in the UK are not immigrants nor 2nd generation immigrants, so this does not apply.
Reply 6
TheThirdMan

I know its mostly because they are poor and have gang culture but WHY are black people poor and have gang culture?
Reply 7
I dont think you can put it all down to poverty at all.

There are many minorities that come to countries just as deprived, and yet proportionately commit less crime.

In the US one can see this with hispanic and asian immigrants.

Poverty only counts for so much. For instance, in Trinidad, crime has risen DRAMATICALLy in the last 20 years, to the point where we have a murder rate approximately 20 times that of the UK. Poverty however has actually dropped. Wealth has increased, though as usual so has status anxiety...

I think much of it is cultural. Whatever is chicken and whatever is egg, African-american and afro-caribbean (and by parity much afro-british) popular culture is particularly violent relative to others.

This is unlikely to be anythign inherent in the racial makeup of those involved, its merely a question of what their cultural status-quo is.
Reply 8
Lawz-
I dont think you can put it all down to poverty at all.

There are many minorities that come to countries just as deprived, and yet proportionately commit less crime.

In the US one can see this with hispanic and asian immigrants.

Poverty only counts for so much. For instance, in Trinidad, crime has risen DRAMATICALLy in the last 20 years, to the point where we have a murder rate approximately 20 times that of the UK. Poverty however has actually dropped. Wealth has increased, though as usual so has status anxiety...

I think much of it is cultural. Whatever is chicken and whatever is egg, African-american and afro-caribbean (and by parity much afro-british) popular culture is particularly violent relative to others.

This is unlikely to be anythign inherent in the racial makeup of those involved, its merely a question of what their cultural status-quo is.

That sounds quite feasable, but the next question is WHY is violence, gangs and crime socially more acceptable for them?
Reply 9
I'd probably commit far more crime if I was rendered effectively invisible to the naked eye after dark.

NeverMindThat
The vast majority of african-descent persons in the UK are not immigrants nor 2nd generation immigrants, so this does not apply.

I wouldn't the say 'vast' any more. There's been a lot of Somalis and the like coming in recently. The Somalis are well known for being wild, they did grow up in a war zone though I suppose.
BJ-Dubois
More importantly, though. Why can't black people swim at a top level?

I think they're too busy being the best sprinters.
Reply 11
NeverMindThat
That sounds quite feasable, but the next question is WHY is violence, gangs and crime socially more acceptable for them?

You want a historical explanation for the cultural status quo of the global black population?

I'm sure there is one, but that's the task of an expert with enough time to write a book or two...

Slavery, poverty, certain random influences, who knows...
Lib North
I'd probably commit far more crime if I was rendered effectively invisible to the naked eye after dark.

:biggrin:
Hmm...i would say it is mostly those of Caribbean origin commiting street crime..Africans are known for other types of crime lol...anyways-some are victims of circumstance, some are easily influenced and the rest are jus ****ing stupid and perpetuate the stereotype of the average black person which is really insulting to me.
NeverMindThat
This is going to be controversial!

This is usually explained as down to social factors which are in turn due to prejudice.

Does it REALLY logically follow in modern Britain that prejudice against minority races causes them to be economically unsuccessful and therefore more likely to commit crime? And if so, why dont we see similar correlations for other persecuted minorities, for example Pakistanis? What other factors are there?

Discuss.

Blacks have lower IQ's. That's why.
Reply 15
TheThirdMan

90% of streetcrime is commited by 2% of the population?

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=273

bull****
Reply 16
It's to do with their culture. Rap music is often the focus of lyrics that contains crime, prostitution and drugs.
In the UK, like dark and lovely said, the majority of crime committed by blacks is by people of Caribbean origins--yardies and such. However people of African origin seem to be targeted because they do "silly" things like call the police and complain.

Most dodgy Africans are involved in non-violent crime, and thus are unlikely to waste their time mugging someone.
by-torslayshisfoe
Blacks have lower IQ's. That's why.

lol
It must be true. Blacks have never contributed to mankind, especially in a technological sense.

Latest

Trending

Trending