The Student Room Group

Why are tesco bags at the self-checkout so hard to open

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tealites
Haha omg I feel ya sister

Sometimes I try to put the food in the bag while i'm still scanning other things just so I can speed up the whole manoever and then the machine tells me to put it back on the counter-thing. AND THEN THE SELF-CHECKOUT STOPS WORKING AND TELLS ME TO 'ASK FOR ASSISTANCE'

I'm so done with tesco tbh

Don't get me started on the self-checkout thing lol. And it tells you to "put item in bagging area" it was in the damn bagging area in the first place :angry:
Tesco gets me stressed, makes me consider just getting delivered shopping...at least I don't have to open the bags myself that way
The thing that annoys me about self service is when I'm using my own bags & it says unexpected items in bagging area, when I press button for using own bags, it says to get assistance.
Original post by tealites
Anybody know why?

Protip: lick your fingers
Original post by Optimum_
Lick your fingers folks...

And lick em goooood :wink2:

It never ceases to amaze me that people don't know this! Literally makes it so easy to open bags.

I used to work in retail and we had a little wet sponge for this exact purpose.
Original post by notsistermaria
Don't get me started on the self-checkout thing lol. And it tells you to "put item in bagging area" it was in the damn bagging area in the first place :angry:
Tesco gets me stressed, makes me consider just getting delivered shopping...at least I don't have to open the bags myself that way

That's happened to me a few times, usually something light, I find putting it in the middle of the plate bag being packed is on works. I did it successfully with a card, helps if you make sure your fingers under the item touch the plate before you let go of the item.
Original post by Cate1976
That's happened to me a few times, usually something light, I find putting it in the middle of the plate bag being packed is on works. I did it successfully with a card, helps if you make sure your fingers under the item touch the plate before you let go of the item.

Ah, thanks for the tip..hopefully it'll make things easier for me in the future lol
Idiots.

Quick method: Lick your fingers
Slow method: Separate bag from the rest by pulling away at the bottom where it is thicker. Grasp a handle in each hand and pull, small triangles will pop out and use these to open.

Self-service: The checkout operator hates these tills as much as you do. Instead of huffing and puffing and scowling when it goes endlessly wrong, go to a manned checkout. :yy:
Regarding own bags, if the till will not register them, just put them on the floor and deposit your shopping on the bagging area. Finish your transaction and THEN pack your bag.
If an item is light and does not register in the bagging area, just click 'I do not want to bag this item'.
If you are unhappy waiting an age for your alcohol to be approved or for reduced/sale items to be fixed, go to a manned checkout. :yy:

Manned checkout: Smile and greet the cashier back! You will receive a far better service than if you ignore the person serving you. :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
I think the real question is....why are there never any bags at the self help checkout? At least in the stores I've been to...
Just use a rucksack or a hessian bag for life :h:
It is kinder to turtles (they eat plastic bags bc they think they are jellyfish and die :s-smilie:) and they are easier to open :smile:

1415967874-turtle-eating-bag.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)
Dry fingers

Casually go to the frozen section and touch an icy box after you've done your shopping. By the time you're at the till, you'll have moist fingers to open your bags with :mmm:
Original post by MissML
I think the real question is....why are there never any bags at the self help checkout? At least in the stores I've been to...

True
And i hate it the most when it says 'unwanted item in bagging area' 'please remove item' :angry: i have scanned it fool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending