The Student Room Group

Can I take AS and A Level Maths in the same year? is it allowed ?

I recently finished my IGCSE courses and achieved the following grades
A-Maths
A-Physics
A*-Chemistry
A-Computer Science ( new subject introduced June 2015 )
B-English ( redoing it this October session )
B-Biology
B-Global Perspectives
A*-French
I was aiming for an A* in physics and maths, unfortunately, Maths P4 was very hard (at least for me ) and P6 in physics I did no good.
now let me get to the point
I'm doing AS Levels
Maths-Physics-Chemistry-English this year
I mailed my respected university and they asked for 3 A-Levels and 1 AS Level subject out of those 1 must be a language.
So I was wondering if I can do Maths AS and A Level in the same year so that next year I can concentrate on Chemistry and Physics A2.
is it possible ? and is it allowed ? My Board is Edexcel.
Thank You.
Original post by Landmarks
A-Maths
A-Physics
A*-Chemistry
B-Biology
B-Global Perspectives
A*-French
I was aiming for an A* in physics and maths, unfortunately, Maths P4 was very hard (at least for me ) and P6 in physics I did no good.
I'm doing AS Levels
I mailed my respected university and they asked for 3 A-Levels and 1 AS Level subject out of those 1 must be a language.
So I was wondering if I can do Maths AS and A Level in the same year so that next year I can concentrate on Chemistry and Physics A2.
Thank You.

I think so I had a friend in uni that did ICT in one year I wishing had known that you could do that I needed to do a GNVQ before A levels so I went to u I at 20 not 18
A-Maths
A-Physics
A*-Chemistry
B-Biology
B-Global Perspectives
A*-French
I'm doing AS Levels
Thank You.

It is allowed by the examiners and is often done by candidates taking maths and further maths A levels.
It may not be approved of by your school who may not be able to offer you any teaching support for the A2 maths.
It may not be acceptable to your chosen university, make sure they are happy that you won't achieve 3 full A levels in one exam period (a common requirement).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
you said" Also remember that some universities (Imperial is the only one I can name off the top of my head) refuse to include A levels done a year early as part of their offer. Make sure the university you want to go to doesn't have that policy" can you please explain more? so some universities wont allow me in if I did AS and A Level in the same year ?
What? Why? they only care about the grades, right?
you said" Also remember that some universities (Imperial is the only one I can name off the top of my head) refuse to include A levels done a year early as part of their offer. Make sure the university you want to go to doesn't have that policy" can you please explain more? so some universities wont allow me in if I did AS and A Level in the same year ?
What? Why? they only care about the grades, right?

No its not only about the grades.
Some universities require you to achieve 3 full A level results in the same year to demonstrate that you can succeed with that level of workload. You need to check this with your target uni as some will not count A levels taken early as part of your offer.

Quick Reply

Latest