The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Lancaster vs Manchester

I dnt want to make this a thread for people to slag off each other. This is a genuine question . Growing up in Manchester, I'd always heard so much good stuff about it. I'd heard some good stuff about Lancaster, but Manchester always seemed the bigger, better university. And now, looking at league tables it seems Lancaster is doing well, and Manchester steadily going downward alongside other traditional redbricks like Liverpool, Leeds and Sheffield. Is there a reason as to why this is so. What has Lancaster done that is so good (it's now in the top ten on some tables) that gives it an enviable position on the league tables (especially the guardian one). Or are league tables just *******s.
(edited 8 years ago)
League tables don't mean all that much, especially when you're comparing universities relatively near the top. Manchester and Lancaster are both excellent universities on the whole, you'll need to look at individual courses to separate them properly.

The reason that universities sometimes experience a sudden drop in league tables is usually down to the way the table was compiled, not an actual change in quality at the university. My department at Manchester has dropped quite a lot in this year's tables, despite the fact that it only seems to be improving from my point of view.

If it helps, I've been an undergraduate at both Lancaster and Manchester but I prefer Manchester.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending