The Student Room Group

3 or 4 A levels?

I don't want to do 4 as it may become too demanding, will having 3 A-levels (with 2 facilitating subjects) at decent grades be better for Uni?

So would having AAA in Physics, Maths and Sociology look better than BBBb in Physics, Maths, Sociology and Gov+Politics for example?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Depends what course you want to do at Uni I guess, and the subjects you want to take.

Most of the ones I've seen only ask for three A Levels anyway. I'm doing three right now, I dropped my fourth half way through AS because I was struggling with it and it was making it harder to concentrate enough on my other three.

Do what you feel comfortable with! Working hard with three A-Levels, and getting the grades you want will be better than doing four and struggling. My college expects most people doing four A-Levels to drop one of them anyway.
Most definitely! If you think you would be harming your chances of achieving your best possible grades in the three main subjects, then don't do the fourth one because, ultimately, it's just the three that you need. If you think you can still get those As, go for it.

Unis may consider the fourth subject when making offers etc. but AAA meets most top uni requirements, BBBB, however, does not.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MissML
Depends what course you want to do at Uni I guess, and the subjects you want to take.

Most of the ones I've seen only ask for three A Levels anyway. I'm doing three right now, I dropped my fourth half way through AS because I was struggling with it and it was making it harder to concentrate enough on my other three.

Do what you feel comfortable with! Working hard with three A-Levels, and getting the grades you want will be better than doing four and struggling. My college expects most people doing four A-Levels to drop one of them anyway.

Thank you for the response.

May I ask what A-levels you are taking and which you dropped and do you feel taking 3 A levels now is worth it/do you feel comfortable in achieving a good grade? Thanks.

I also don't think I'll be taking 4 AS at all - I'm not even allowed.
Reply 4
Original post by SarahLund
Most definitely! If you think you would be harming your chances of achieving your best possible grades in the three main subjects, then don't do the fourth one because, ultimately, it's just the three that you need. If you think you can still get those As, go for it.

Unis may consider the fourth subject when making offers etc. but AAA meets most top uni requirements, BBBB, however, does not.

Thanks very much.:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by S4M1999
Thank you for the response.

May I ask what A-levels you are taking and which you dropped and do you feel taking 3 A levels now is worth it/do you feel comfortable in achieving a good grade? Thanks.

I also don't think I'll be taking 4 AS at all - I'm not even allowed.

I'm taking Biology, Psychology and History. I dropped Chemistry. I do think that taking three A-Levels is worth it, I don't think I'd have gotten decent results if I had pressured myself into keeping up with Chemistry.
Definitely definitely definitely do 3. I've never known of a uni requesting 4 A levels, though they will sometimes request a fourth at AS, so give you an offer like AABb, where you'd need the B at AS in a fourth subject. I did 5 at AS - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and History - and for some reason saw fit to try and do all 5 at A2. It was horrific :eek: Like, the workload is disgusting. I ended up dropping Physics and History that year, but I made life a damn sight harder for myself by trying to do them. So yeah, don't make my mistake and stick to three, especially if you're doing academic subjects :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by MissML
I'm taking Biology, Psychology and History. I dropped Chemistry. I do think that taking three A-Levels is worth it, I don't think I'd have gotten decent results if I had pressured myself into keeping up with Chemistry.

Right so you'll end up with/already got 3 A-level qualifications and 0 AS?

Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
Definitely definitely definitely do 3. I've never known of a uni requesting 4 A levels, though they will sometimes request a fourth at AS, so give you an offer like AABb, where you'd need the B at AS in a fourth subject. I did 5 at AS - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and History - and for some reason saw fit to try and do all 5 at A2. It was horrific :eek: Like, the workload is disgusting. I ended up dropping Physics and History that year, but I made life a damn sight harder for myself by trying to do them. So yeah, don't make my mistake and stick to three, especially if you're doing academic subjects :smile:

Thank you but want I really want to know is how many AS you should do - so would AAA look better than BBBb at the end of 2 years, for example.
If you're smart enough to get 3 As, you should be comfortable taking a 4th A level. Drop it if you find you're struggling. Many students around the world do 6 subjects in a baccalaureate, so 4 isn't really that much for a good student.

Unis only use 3 subjects in their offers, but doing 4 gives you more chances hit the grades. If you're going for AAA, and you miss in one subject, you fail. But if you're doing a fourth, that gives you another chance to get the A.
Original post by S4M1999
Right so you'll end up with/already got 3 A-level qualifications and 0 AS?

Thank you but want I really want to know is how many AS you should do - so would AAA look better than BBBb at the end of 2 years, for example.

If you're looking at coming out with A's at the end of your A2's, then odds are you could comfortably manage 4 AS levels. Some unis demand a fourth subject to AS level, and also it gives you a bit more flexibility to change your mind or if one of the exams goes a bit pear shaped on the day.

Quick Reply

Latest