The Student Room Group

Hard Vectors question - Please help!!!

Find the coordinates of P if OP=3 (distance from origin) and the vector OP is in the direction of i - 2j + 3k
Reply 1
Original post by LouN1997
Find the coordinates of P if OP=3 (distance from origin) and the vector OP is in the direction of i - 2j + 3k

is the 3k part of the j component?
Need some kind of picture or diagram of the question to answer it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by kennz
is the 3k part of the j component?

no, separate component, 3d vector
Reply 4
Original post by Ishan_2000
Need some kind of picture or diagram of the question to answer it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

that is all the information I was given
Find the magnitude of the direction vector, find the proportion between the magnitude of the direction vector and the magnitude of OP
Reply 6
Original post by Infraspecies
Find the magnitude of the direction vector, find the proportion between the magnitude of the direction vector and the magnitude of OP

thank you very much
Reply 7

I'm not too sure but I did OP^2=1^2+2^2+(3k)^2 so 9=9k^2+5 so rearrange to get k=2/3.
thank you very much

Essentially what you're doing is finding a unit vector from the direction vector, then multiplying it by |OP|.
Original post by kennz
I'm not too sure but I did OP^2=1^2+2^2+(3k)^2 so 9=9k^2+5 so rearrange to get k=2/3.

k is a basis vector, not a constant part of the magnitude of the j component.

The vector OP is in the direction of the given vector, and the magnitude of our given vector is sqrt(1+4+9) which is sqrt(14). We want this vector to have magnitude 3, so we simply multiply each term by 3/sqrt(14). This gives you the answer:

(3/sqrt{14})i -(6/sqrt{14})j +(9/sqrt{14})k

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Infraspecies
k is a basis vector, not a constant part of the magnitude of the j component.

Yeah I just looked this up and its c4 vectors I think haha😊
Strictly, I've taken a shortcut there cause I've done these sort of questions before. If I wanted to give my full working, it'd be more like this:

The vector OP is in the direction of our given vector. Therefore, OP is of the form X(i-2j+3k)= Xi-2Xj+3Xk, where X is a variable scalar. Therefore, the magnitude OP is:

sqrt(X^2 + 4X^2 +9X^2)=sqrt(14X^2)=Xsqrt(14)

We want to have magnitude 3, so therefore Xsqrt(14)=3

rearranging gives X=3/sqrt(14)

We now know what value our variable scalar must take to give our vector magnitude 3, so we plug it back in to our equation for OP to give the aforementioned answer

I thought you said it was hard.
Reply 14
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
I thought you said it was hard.

:congrats:

Quick Reply

Latest