The Student Room Group

Access to Nursing/Midwifery Course

Hello!
I'm not sure if I'm writing this in the correct place but here goes...

I'm 23 years old and currently looking at going back to college to study a access course that will give me the correct entry requirements for a midwifery degree.

I've got all the GCSE grades I need, I also did A levels in the past which I received a U & E grade and a a foundation degree which I obtained a pass.

I've spoken to the institute I'd like to attend and they have told me that because I failed my A Levels I won't have to pay course fees. Is this correct? Just as I'm currently not working due to having my daughter I wouldn't be able to afford the £2000 course fees so this would be a great help! If this isn't the case does anyone know of any funding that is available for me?

I know if I wait till next year I could get a loan to cover them but I'd prefer to start this year!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

many thanks,
Gemma
Original post by GemmaFitzmartin
Hello!
I'm not sure if I'm writing this in the correct place but here goes...

I'm 23 years old and currently looking at going back to college to study a access course that will give me the correct entry requirements for a midwifery degree.

I've got all the GCSE grades I need, I also did A levels in the past which I received a U & E grade and a a foundation degree which I obtained a pass.

I've spoken to the institute I'd like to attend and they have told me that because I failed my A Levels I won't have to pay course fees. Is this correct? Just as I'm currently not working due to having my daughter I wouldn't be able to afford the £2000 course fees so this would be a great help! If this isn't the case does anyone know of any funding that is available for me?

I know if I wait till next year I could get a loan to cover them but I'd prefer to start this year!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

many thanks,
Gemma

I'm pretty sure thats not the case if you failed your A levels. At 23, you probably wouldn't get the 24+ loan either. However, I'm pretty sure it is free if you are unemployed though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bibliboo
I'm pretty sure thats not the case if you failed your A levels. At 23, you probably wouldn't get the 24+ loan either. However, I'm pretty sure it is free if you are unemployed though

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought that would be the case. The lady said that as I'd failed it meant I didn't have a level 3 qualification technically.

Don't you have to be claiming JSA though to get it for free? I'm not claiming this.
Reply 3
Two people on my Access course did terribly in their A Level exams, and told college staff that they were only educated to GCSE level to avoid paying fees.

It worked...
Original post by Kaeden
Two people on my Access course did terribly in their A Level exams, and told college staff that they were only educated to GCSE level to avoid paying fees.

It worked...

Oh I didn't realise it was free for those without level 3 qualifications, a few under 24 year old students on my course who hadn't done level 3 qualifications did pay. Those claiming JSA did get it free though. Hope it is then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bibliboo
Oh I didn't realise it was free for those without level 3 qualifications, a few under 24 year old students on my course who hadn't done level 3 qualifications did pay. Those claiming JSA did get it free though. Hope it is then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got my interview tomorrow and I will be enrol king at the same time if my fees are free... I basically got 1 E in all my a levels rest were U.. So let's hope I can get on otherwise will be a long year wait until I can apply for a loan :frown:

Thanks for the help guys! Will keep you informed! X
Reply 6
Original post by GemmaFitzmartin
I thought that would be the case. The lady said that as I'd failed it meant I didn't have a level 3 qualification technically.

Don't you have to be claiming JSA though to get it for free? I'm not claiming this.

You have a Foundation Degree, which is Level 5. That might affect your eligibility for the A Level fee waiver.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending