The Student Room Group

I think im going to fail my Maths GCSE

Hi,
I'm starting year 11 on Monday.
i do well in most of the creative subjects that i take, im really not academic in any way. I struggle with Science, an a little bit with analysing english (im good at the creative side of it though) but the subject i struggle most with is Maths. This is probably because i sufffer with dyscalculia.
i dread all my maths lessons (apart form th eones that we colour in shapes haha). i have been in bottem set maths classes all my life, and in high school the other student that are in my maths classes have always messed around. The teacher is alway too busy trying to controll the delinquents, that i am always forgotten about (this is because i behave and am usally slighly intimidated by the rather large prersonalitys that are in the room) i feel as though i am second priority even though i shouldnt be because i actually want to learn, i just dont understand.
Now its a little embarassing to say but i dont know my times tables, i know my 2s my 5s my 10s and my 11s and a little bit of my 3s, which im not very confident on.
i do realise that earning my times tables could help me greatly, but i have been trying to learn them since primary school. i feel as though i have tried everything.
im not good at revising, i know i need to but i just lack motivation (mostly with maths but with my other subjects too).
i really do not want to fail, but i know i will if i cant buck up my game.
my mother tries to support me and she does do it well, but she gets frustrated with me and pretty much tells me i am going to fail, which really knocks my confidence.
i have tried to move math sets but it just hasnt worked out because im not good enough.
i could realy use some tips on revising and how to get better in general and stop myself from failing.
also thank you if youread all this , it means a lot.
p xx
Telling yourself you're going to fail and you're rubbish at a subject is just you giving in to a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Maths is something you can work on, and it's just one of those subjects that seem to be easier for some than it is for others. The good thing about Maths is that you get better with the more practice that you do, so start whipping out the past papers and complete the questions that you know you can answer! Then you'll know from the beginning which topics you need help with and what you'll need to approach your teachers for extra support with.
You won't fail, believe in yourself.
Maybe ask your teachers if you'd be able to have some extra help after school? They might be able to give you some resources like past papers, worksheets or math clips to do at home. It's worth asking, hope I helped. :smile:
Reply 3
Hello don't worry I know many students who have felt this way ,I wasn't always confident with some subjects so I went about to tuition. My friend a retired qualified teacher is starting online tutoring ,the first two lessons are free trial. If you are interested please email me ,[email protected]
Take care
Original post by AimlessWishes
Hi,
I'm starting year 11 on Monday.
i do well in most of the creative subjects that i take, im really not academic in any way. I struggle with Science, an a little bit with analysing english (im good at the creative side of it though) but the subject i struggle most with is Maths. This is probably because i sufffer with dyscalculia.
i dread all my maths lessons (apart form th eones that we colour in shapes haha). i have been in bottem set maths classes all my life, and in high school the other student that are in my maths classes have always messed around. The teacher is alway too busy trying to controll the delinquents, that i am always forgotten about (this is because i behave and am usally slighly intimidated by the rather large prersonalitys that are in the room) i feel as though i am second priority even though i shouldnt be because i actually want to learn, i just dont understand.
Now its a little embarassing to say but i dont know my times tables, i know my 2s my 5s my 10s and my 11s and a little bit of my 3s, which im not very confident on.
i do realise that earning my times tables could help me greatly, but i have been trying to learn them since primary school. i feel as though i have tried everything.
im not good at revising, i know i need to but i just lack motivation (mostly with maths but with my other subjects too).
i really do not want to fail, but i know i will if i cant buck up my game.
my mother tries to support me and she does do it well, but she gets frustrated with me and pretty much tells me i am going to fail, which really knocks my confidence.
i have tried to move math sets but it just hasnt worked out because im not good enough.
i could realy use some tips on revising and how to get better in general and stop myself from failing.
also thank you if youread all this , it means a lot.
p xx

There should be help seesions for Year 11s - talk to the head of department about getting extra help.

Does your school subscribe to MyMaths? If not then there are other good websites with worked examples which are explained.

Don't give up!
Reply 5
Hi, the best thing you can do is past papers. If you struggle with the concepts, try some youtube channels like khan academy or maths solutions
I myself have dyslexia an was always good at art. I'm going into yr 12 now and just did my GCSEs. I like u was always in bottom/ 2nd bottom all my life and hated it. In ur 9 I was predicted Cs and Ds so my mum got me a tutor to help me as she felt I really needed it. Honestly I started with her in February of the yr I was doing my GCSEs predicted a c and in that short space in time I moved up 2 sets to 2nd to top set where I was predicted a high B in the space of 5 weeks. I am not rich at all (still share a room with my brother) but I really feel that the 1 to 1 attention is really helpful and I would recommend it to anyone. Now I love maths and got an A 137 out of 200. I am also taking it for a level. Just wanna say that it is not too late and with that little bit of extra help an ur a week will help loads.

Also revision tip would b as we r creative people, I think it is helpful to make maths look creative but making posters with rules and methods. Also using different colours help loads and practice is very key...
Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Babe, I was at an E grade at the beginning of yr11, work hard, do the past papers,practice, practice, practice, use Mathswatch. The negative stigma that you may have about maths is just in your mind trust me.
(I got a B in the end btw)
I deal with a similar thing, i am absolutely bricking my exams and hate the thought of failing. try and get a math tutor if you can and just study study study. past papers, video clips anything you can do try it. it will benefit you even if you don't feel it. try and have a more positive outlook because it will help all the more. Good luck !
Original post by alessia.mazzanti
I deal with a similar thing, i am absolutely bricking my exams and hate the thought of failing. try and get a math tutor if you can and just study study study. past papers, video clips anything you can do try it. it will benefit you even if you don't feel it. try and have a more positive outlook because it will help all the more. Good luck !

This thread is from 3 years ago so the OP would have probably left school by now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending