The Student Room Group

White girl wearing a bindi jewels causes 'outrage'

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1441111774.467427.jpg

I don't want to sound 'ignorant' but I don't see what's wrong with a white girl wearing a bindi jewel at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I'm guessing it was Tumblr that was whinging about that non-event?
Reply 2
though it may seem trivial to most, cultural appropriation is so real and SO annoying.
Reply 3
because it has a cultural sugnificance and white people are turning it into a fashion accessory and undermining this significance
More "cultural appropriation" nonsense. :facepalm:
Reply 5
I can't find much information about the religious significance except that different colours traditionally marked different statuses (wife, widow etc.) and the forehead is meant to represent wisdom.
And bindis have become a fashion accessory in Indian culture, so what's wrong with someone wearing it as a fashion accessory? It's not like it's a purely religious symbol any more, or like this lady wore a bindi with a more traditional meaning.

@Idsbabe Other than being annoying, what's wrong with cultural appropriation? Many people complain that "people from other cultures don't integrate" in the UK, but that works both ways surely? I can see how a white atheist calling their son Mohammed might offend Muslims, but I can't see what's wrong with seeing things in other cultures, thinking "that's beautiful/nice/inspiring" and adopting it into your own life in some way is a bad thing.
yet another argument for body art,
look at how many people have tattoos
or even piercings
its how we excel in life through art be it in body on on body art is art
Reply 7
Original post by Katie_p
I can't find much information about the religious significance except that different colours traditionally marked different statuses (wife, widow etc.) and the forehead is meant to represent wisdom.
And bindis have become a fashion accessory in Indian culture, so what's wrong with someone wearing it as a fashion accessory? It's not like it's a purely religious symbol any more, or like this lady wore a bindi with a more traditional meaning.

@Idsbabe Other than being annoying, what's wrong with cultural appropriation? Many people complain that "people from other cultures don't integrate" in the UK, but that works both ways surely? I can see how a white atheist calling their son Mohammed might offend Muslims, but I can't see what's wrong with seeing things in other cultures, thinking "that's beautiful/nice/inspiring" and adopting it into your own life in some way is a bad thing.

A good example of this is Miley Cyrus...Miley is a fan of wearing faux dreadlocks, appropriating black slang, at the same time as using racist terms (she called Snoop Dogg Mammy at the VMAs which has historically racist connotations).
I find huge irony in a woman who desperately appropriates black culture, but gives no credit to black people. She is a huge champion of the LGBT cause, but never speaks on the issues faced by black americans today, although she douses herself in black culture and makes money off it.
Original post by ldsbabe

I find huge irony in a woman who desperately appropriates black culture, but gives no credit to black people.

If she uses a microwave, does she have to give credit to Percy Spencer?

Seeing as you think "black culture" exists, do you think "white culture" exists? If so, what things in "white culture" would you say are 'owned' by white people?

FWIW, no culture 'owns' anything.
Original post by ldsbabe
Racism and ignorance...?

"White culture" = racism and ignorance?

Wow.

"Black culture" = poverty and rape?

Now you see how stupid you sound.
Original post by ldsbabe
Racism and ignorance...?

There are plenty of ignorant and racist black and asian people, when they show those traits should they give credit to "white culture"?
Original post by Law-Hopeful
"White culture" = racism and ignorance?

Wow.

"Black culture" = poverty and rape?

Now you see how stupid you sound.

Obviously a joke based on your moronic posts. Good luck in your law career. I dread a future with anyone such as yourself in a position of power.
Original post by Skip_Snip
There are plenty of ignorant and racist black and asian people, when they show those traits should they give credit to "white culture"?

People of colour can't be racist, sorry. But thats an argument for a different time :wink:
Original post by ldsbabe
Obviously a joke based on your moronic posts.

Ah, I see; you couldn't respond to my legitimate question(s) so you attempted to make a joke to deflect from your argument's shortcomings instead.
Original post by ldsbabe
A good example of this is Miley Cyrus...Miley is a fan of wearing faux dreadlocks, appropriating black slang, at the same time as using racist terms (she called Snoop Dogg Mammy at the VMAs which has historically racist connotations).
I find huge irony in a woman who desperately appropriates black culture, but gives no credit to black people. She is a huge champion of the LGBT cause, but never speaks on the issues faced by black americans today, although she douses herself in black culture and makes money off it.

So in order to justify cultural appropriation, one must defend or support the culture one is appropriating? What degree of support do you expect? What if I generally disagree with the culture but approve of the aspect I'm appropriating?

Would people be offended if Miley spoke out on Black issues? Probably. She'd be a white girl speaking for black people, not with them, in someone's eyes at least. I don't know anything about the "mammy" thing to comment on it, but I would ask whether it would have been wrong if she were black, and if she said it to offend or shock, or simply because she thought it was an OK way to speak. If it would be OK for a black person, then that's a racist way of thinking. It pretty much comes down to saying cultural appropriation is trying to have the good things from a culture without ever experiencing the bad parts of it, a kind of "you're trying to be black but you can't ever know what it's like to be black".
Reply 15
Original post by ldsbabe
People of colour can't be racist, sorry. But thats an argument for a different time :wink:

Yes they can. Get yourself out of your narrow western black vs white worldview and maybe you'll see that :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
ffs a bindi is not a religious thing!! or even a cultural thing!

its a mere fashion accessory that looks good with a saree. there is no restrictions on anyone wearing it.

I bet the people who got 'outraged' are nothing more than keyboard warriors who have nothing better to do in their lives or even may be people pretending to be Indians to give us a bad name.

This is a non story and shouldnt even be in the papers! :angry::angry:
Original post by ldsbabe

Utter rubbish, anybody of any ethnicity can be racist. Stop victimising black people.
Just as some Asian parents, for example, do not want their children marrying white men/women - this is racism, discrimination against white people.

Racism affects everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
Yes they can. Get yourself out of your narrow western black vs white worldview and maybe you'll see that :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They really can't. They can be prejudice, but they can't be racist. They don't hold the power.

Quick Reply

Latest