The Student Room Group

White girl wearing a bindi jewels causes 'outrage'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by citydeer
because it has a cultural sugnificance and white people are turning it into a fashion accessory and undermining this significance

Yes. I'm white and I can see this. It's very irritating I can imagine, so shallow and superficial.
Original post by citydeer
the link you posted is slating her yes, and many people have BECAUSE its cultural appropriation so if youre here arguing its not an issue you just shot yourself in the foot a bit

I'm saying "white people are praised for having dreads" is wrong and an exaggeration, are you saying if the average (white) joe has dreads people will generally think it's a good look? One white person who is a massive celeb isn't proving your point.

Couldn't care less what the reason is, it's a ****ing haircut.

also comparing people of similar circumstances, one example at the oscars black celebrities have been slated for wearing their natural hair

Yeah that's ridiculous. However she wasn't really 'slated', that is one person making a stupid comment.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ldsbabe
A good example of this is Miley Cyrus...Miley is a fan of wearing faux dreadlocks, appropriating black slang, at the same time as using racist terms (she called Snoop Dogg Mammy at the VMAs which has historically racist connotations).
I find huge irony in a woman who desperately appropriates black culture, but gives no credit to black people. She is a huge champion of the LGBT cause, but never speaks on the issues faced by black americans today, although she douses herself in black culture and makes money off it.

Why do people need to be so desperate for credit? As if people with common sense can't already see it and need to be told.

It's not a new thing for someone from a culture to copy another cultures features. Black women have been doing the whole hair thing for years now without white people rising with pitch forks screaming that their culture is being stolen.
I as a brown male identify more as a white person culturally, nobody needs to whine that I'm stealing their culture.

Honestly, get a grip.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just went on the wikipedia page for Bindi and this is literally the first two lines of the "modern use" section:

"Bindis are worn throughout South Asia, specifically India, Pakistan, Nepal, and Sri Lanka, by women, men, girls and boys and no longer signify age, marital status, religious background or ethnic affiliation. The bindi has become a decorative item and is no longer restricted in colour or shape."

Here's the last line of the same section: "Sometimes they are worn as a style statement. International celebrities such as Gwen Stefani, Julia Roberts, Madonna, Selena Gomez and many others have been seen wearing bindis."

To sum up, everyone calm the **** down, it's a non-story and leave the girl alone.
It suits her. The majority of people having a outrage are not even hindu.
As a mixed South Asian male I also agree that she looks quite pretty with it. Good on her.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 166
Well, since the Internet was made by a white man, it is apparently part of white culture.
Internet = Cultural Appropriation

Most people have iPhones, which are made by Apple, a key part of American culture.
Apple = Cultural Appropriation

In fact, the English language is white culture.
English = Cultural Appropriation

So according to feminist logic, all people of colour (or non-whites as everyone else knows them) are racist and appropriate white culture by using English.

See how stupid it is?
Original post by Man.bear.pig
she was ****ing the Indian guitarist during No Doubt days. So of course.

Does that make a difference? She's not Indian herself... I was just making the point that in this day and age I believe people are just far to quick to start arguments over relatively trivial things (though, that is admittedly subjective), which only serves to further divide races/religions/cultures unnecessarily, causing more problems than it solves.
This is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've seen on TSR.
Original post by Dropout_06
Does that make a difference? She's not Indian herself... I was just making the point that in this day and age I believe people are just far to quick to start arguments over relatively trivial things (though, that is admittedly subjective), which only serves to further divide races/religions/cultures unnecessarily, causing more problems than it solves.

:hmmm: what day and age were people not? Which day and age are you comparing today to, exactly...?

Trivial things? Another example of trivial?

And her not being Indian herself but dating an Indian or whatever he was man would be self explanatory and therefore futile to criticise her about it?
I do agree cultural diffusion through emulation of other cultures is great, as long as it's not mockery like minstrel.

Original post by So Instinct
As a mixed South Asian male I also agree that she looks quite pretty with it. Good on her.

everyone looks pretty with it; it's decorative??

:colonhash:
Original post by Tahret
Well, since the Internet was made by a white man, it is apparently part of white culture.
Internet = Cultural Appropriation

Most people have iPhones, which are made by Apple, a key part of American culture.
Apple = Cultural Appropriation

In fact, the English language is white culture.
English = Cultural Appropriation

So according to feminist logic, all people of colour (or non-whites as everyone else knows them) are racist and appropriate white culture by using English.

See how stupid it is?

But because those are owned by the white, cis, het, bourgeoisie demon man they can't be appropriated, or something. That's right, isn't it?

Please help me make sense of this crap, @idsbabe
(edited 8 years ago)
You need to do some reading... The bindi has enormous cultural and religious significance! Yes it has become a fashion accessory to South Asian women, if you wear something for cultural/religious reasons but live in a capitalist society that item is probably going to become an accessory because people like to look good but that doesn't take away from its significance.

At the end of the day the reason people are annoyed about white girls wearing bindis is because Indian women are still made fun of for wearing them but when a white girl wears one its "edgy" or "cool". During the British Colonisation of India (and all the other countries they "conquered") Indians were stolen from and treated pretty brutally. If you think it's cool to continue to steal from a culture with all that historic significance then you are just making the existing pain over this issue worse. It's not about a fashion accessory or even a cultural item, it's what is represented by that item. If you want to wear a bindi then perhaps do some reading and understand and show respect to the culture that item comes from.

PS when POCs are involved in white culture it's not cultural appropriation because Europeans FORCED their culture on the rest of the world and therefore we had no choice but to partake in it. White people CHOSE to steal and enslave people and continue to make the choice to put their own self-indulgence over the deep and very real feelings of those they are stealing from.
Original post by ldsbabe
People of colour can't be racist, sorry. But thats an argument for a different time :wink:

Wait are you serious? The amount of times I've had racist things said to me (I'm a white female) by people of colour?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shashasheesh
Europeans FORCED their culture on the rest of the world and therefore we had no choice but to partake in it.

Perhaps you could tell me which colonised peoples were forced to accept stiletto heels, which were forced to play football, rugby, cricket, golf and tennis, and which were forced to dye their hair blonde?
Original post by WannabeDoctor98
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1441111774.467427.jpg

I don't want to sound 'ignorant' but I don't see what's wrong with a white girl wearing a bindi jewel at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it looks silly on her,I mean why is she wearing it?
She is not hindi
Original post by Blue_Mason
Because it looks silly on her,I mean why is she wearing it?
She is not hindi

And who gave you the job of deciding what people are allowed to wear?
Side note: When did "POC" become a thing? Isn't everyone a colour? I don't get it.
Ffs. MEANWHILE
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Side note: When did "POC" become a thing? Isn't everyone a colour? I don't get it.

Yeah I know. Also, it's odd that that's become the accepted term amongst many people when 'coloured' is seen as offensive, despite the fact that the only difference between 'people of colour' and 'coloured', is syntax.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Yeah I know. Also, it's odd that that's become the accepted term amongst many people when 'coloured' is seen as offensive, despite the fact that the only difference between 'people of colour' and 'coloured', is syntax.

I guess it's handy hate-mongering rhetoric which fosters a whites vs. everyone else mentality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending