The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

The term 'feminazi' is degrading and hideously offensive

As I browse the rolling hills and barren wastelands that make up TSR forums, I regularly come across the term 'feminazi' being used to describe feminist ideas and opinions. The common, casual usage of the word shocks and disgusts me.'Feminazi' is a portmanteau of 'feminist' and 'Nazi'. This means that when you call someone a 'feminazi' you are immediately lowering them and their personal opinion to the level of Adolf Hitler and his anti-semitic, sexist, homophobic and generally elitist views. You are comparing them to the Nazi party and, by extension, the genocide and hate crimes that accompanied their time in power. You are implying that they hold these views and should be regarded with a similar amount of disgust and hostility.

I am well aware that 'feminazi' was originally used to describe radical and extreme feminists, although for some it appears that any whiff of advocation for women's rights warrants this label. However, of the very few feminists who are truly 'radical', not a single one deserves to be compared to Adolf Hitler or the Nazi party. No-one deserves comparison to the sick and disgusting crimes the Nazis committed during the Second World War. If anything, that unholy title must be reserved for the perpetrators themselves, if it is to stay relevant and powerful.

Using the term 'feminazi' is degrading and hideously offensive. It implies moral inferiority and marginalises the true crimes committed. I don't care if you're feminist or not, whether you are sympathetic to the cause or vehemently oppose it: don't go describing anyone as being a 'feminazi'.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by littlebitofsky
As I browse the rolling hills and barren wastelands that make up TSR forums, I regularly come across the term 'feminazi' being used to describe feminist ideas and opinions. The common, casual usage of the word shocks and disgusts me.'Feminazi' is a portmanteau of 'feminist' and 'Nazi'. This means that when you call someone a 'feminazi' you are immediately lowering them and their personal opinion to the level of Adolf Hitler and his anti-semitic, sexist, homophobic and generally elitist views. You are comparing them to the Nazi party and, by extension, the genocide and hate crimes that accompanied their time in power. You are implying that they hold these views and should be regarded with a similar amount of disgust and hostility.

I am well aware that 'feminazi' was originally used to describe radical and extreme feminists, although for some it appears that any whiff of advocation for women's rights warrants this label. However, of the very few feminists who are truly 'radical', not a single one deserves to be compared to Adolf Hitler or the Nazi party. No-one deserves comparison to the sick and disgusting crimes the Nazis committed during the Second World War. If anything, that unholy title must be reserved for the perpetrators themselves, if it is to stay relevant and powerful.

Using the term 'feminazi' is degrading and hideously offensive. It implies moral inferiority and marginalises the true crimes committed. I don't care if you're feminist or not, whether you are sympathetic to the cause or vehemently oppose it: don't go describing anyone as being a 'feminazi'.

It's not that deep

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Wait for the Citizen Act's response- it'd be interesting to hear what he has to say on this... after all, a debate requires two sides!

I'm not a feminist but I do support equal opportunities for males and females, but I do find the behaviour of some feminists incredibly annoying when they slap the term 'sexist' on any male who they don't get along with. With that having been said, I don't condone comparing feminism to Nazism... I don't imagine any substantial group of feminists suddenly calling for all men to be gassed or advocating any persecution resembling that of the 1930s- after all, that'd lead to the extinction of the human race.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
No one cares.

Stop being such a feminazi.

I am a guy and behalf of all guys I apologise for what we say :smile:

P.S feminazi

You triggered me by using the word "hideously". I demand a lengthy apology and compensation otherwise I will unleash my army of SJWs.
Reply 6
feminism is vile. The word feminazis is not a literal comparison but to show how sinister and vile feminists are.
I think the 'Nazi' suffix is more to do with the fact that they were fascists and many people draw parallels with the extreme sections of the feminist movement and the fascist mind set.

'Femifascist' doesn't have quite the same impact/ring.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
I think the 'Nazi' suffix is more to do with the fact that they were fascists and many people draw parallels with the extreme sections of the feminist movement and the fascist mind set.

'Femifascist' doesn't have quite the same impact/ring.

I guess femifacist is a more political correct term for what feminists are, it still describes their beliefs to the same degree so maybe OP would prefer that term.
Do you get equally upset when people are referred to as grammar nazis?
no it's not - it distinguishes between feminists and gender-fascists/supremacists (e.g. the nazis were supremacists). there is a difference, and I find it really strange that you think that a feminist like john stuart mill is the same kind of "feminist" as someone like anita sarcesian
However, of the very few feminists who are truly 'radical', not a single one deserves to be compared to Adolf Hitler or the Nazi party.

1) most feminists, at least the ones who self-identify as such, today, are radical feminists. modern feminism = radical feminism. we're talking about the whole "we live in a patriarchy", "women are sexually objectified", "we live in a rape culture", "there is a wage gap between the genders", "ban page 3" feminism - yeah, this is classic textbook radical feminism. classical equality feminism (or liberal feminism) is only concerned about individual equality before the law. that's the way it should be - that's fairness - that's meritocracy.

2) radical feminists today usually support policies that, at least to some extent, discriminate against men and advance women (e.g. policies of quotas, giving women victims more resources, not sending women to prison as much as men deliberately, giving women more custodial rights, giving women a higher retirement age/pension, etc) and this is, like I said in my last message, supremacy via subjectivism - they use supremacy to achieve their subjectivist aims, e.g. a world where there is basically no such thing as gender, so long as you're not a "white male" - then you're a bad person, and this is *certainly* not racist or sexist towards them, oh *no*! this is "feminism"! *rolls eyes*
(edited 8 years ago)

You are overreacting to it, whilst I don't agree with the use of the term, I understand that it just means that the feminist is super radical. Like the ones who wage war on men, for being well themselves. Plus what makes you think telling people to stop describing anyone as a feminazi, will make them stop? In fact it will probably have the opposite effect. Congrats!
Reply 13
Offensive to Nazi's

Nazi's would oppose feminism, because it is a poisonous victimhood ideology that is used to destabilize society by turning women against men
You just sounded like a feminazi there
Reply 15
500px-FemFreq_Segregate_Classes_Plox.jpg

Attachment not found

Feminist supporting segregation?

Oh and the I'm a female, I can't be sexist...

Hmm this feminist sounds a bit like that lady, who incited genocide of White males with the excuse that since she is female, and a minority in Britain that she is not in the position of power to commit racism...

I don't think that such an element of premeditated malice as you have described in the first paragraph is actually present in most of the people who use that term. The 'nazi' half of the portmanteau is, in fact, being used casually in most instances, similarly to how it is used to describe people who obsessively correct other people's grammar or spelling on the Internet as 'grammar Nazis.' I doubt they're trying to link women's rights to the Holocaust and, if they are, well, shame on them. :smile:
Original post by The Donut Maker
I am a guy and behalf of all guys I apologise for what we say :smile:

P.S feminazi

:lol: Apologise for yourself. I'm pretty sure all those who said it were conscious :biggrin:
Quite offensive, yes, but most anti-feminists slight feminism as an affront to their convenience, and 'feminazi' is a rather convenient term.
Ayyy lmao

Latest

Trending

Trending