The Student Room Group

Exeter Medicine Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Hydeman
What kind of reply? Pretty sure most people haven't applied yet. :s-smilie:

ah sorry, i should have been more clear. I meant a reply to their email.
Original post by Y.M.
ah sorry, i should have been more clear. I meant a reply to their email.

LOL, it's okay. :smile: I did send them a few emails but nothing worth sharing (just some policies on the Welsh Baccalaureate, resits [for a friend] etc.).

Although ebbsy had a reply that she posted a few pages back, I think.
Original post by mariapops
Should I bother applying with only an A*AA prediction and a UKCAT average of 702.5? Is there a chance of interview and even if there is, is it very low?

702.5 average sounds alright for this year (wait for deciles to be released on the UKCAT website on 9 October before applying though). Exeter uses a general UKCAT cut-off as well as separate, lower cut-offs for each of the individual sub-tests. What was your breakdown? If you got less than 600 in any of them, it's probably a wasted application given that people with super-high UKCAT scores will be flooding Exeter because they know that it's a UKCAT-heavy medical school.

Remember: you only need one interview to have a chance of getting one offer, which, at the end of the day, is all you need. I would say apply but also apply to some less UKCAT-heavy medical schools. Which ones precisely depends on your other stats. :smile:
Original post by Hydeman
702.5 average sounds alright for this year (wait for deciles to be released on the UKCAT website on 9 October before applying though). Exeter uses a general UKCAT cut-off as well as separate, lower cut-offs for each of the individual sub-tests. What was your breakdown? If you got less than 600 in any of them, it's probably a wasted application given that people with super-high UKCAT scores will be flooding Exeter because they know that it's a UKCAT-heavy medical school.

Remember: you only need one interview to have a chance of getting one offer, which, at the end of the day, is all you need. I would say apply but also apply to some less UKCAT-heavy medical schools. Which ones precisely depends on your other stats. :smile:

They told me when I emailed that they don't use separate cut-offs for the subtests, just the overall score.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ebbsy
They told me when I emailed that they don't use separate cut-offs for the subtests, just the overall score.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow. The TSR wiki is badly out of date, in that case. I got my information from http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths and it still says that they use individual cut-offs for the sub-tests. Do you know if it's possible to update the page somehow?
Original post by Hydeman
Oh wow. The TSR wiki is badly out of date, in that case. I got my information from http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths and it still says that they use individual cut-offs for the sub-tests. Do you know if it's possible to update the page somehow?

I have no idea sorry! But yeah, I'm not sure when that page was last updated... means we have to trawl through every admissions page individually!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know what the cutoffs for previous years have been? I mean I got 738 UKCAT average, but 590 on verbal reasoning! :redface: Will this be enough?
Original post by thesuperdark
Does anyone know what the cutoffs for previous years have been? I mean I got 738 UKCAT average, but 590 on verbal reasoning! :redface: Will this be enough?

On the TSR wiki it says that they used an overall cut-off and separate cut-offs for each of the sections but Ebbsy emailed them and apparently this is no longer true and they only look at the overall score so you should be fine. :smile:
do u think ukcat average of 657 is too low for exeter?:frown: im worried
Original post by janicecwchow
do u think ukcat average of 657 is too low for exeter?:frown: im worried

Wait for deciles to be released on 9th October. Also, send an email to Exeter if you want but I doubt they could help you on this because the cut-off depends on the application pool each year and they can't know what the average is until the deadline has come and gone.
Hello everyone,Another annoying stats/am I good enough post, sorry!

GCSE: 3A* 5A 5B, although Bs in chemistry, English lang and physics
AS: ABBB, A in Spanish and Bs in chem, bio, maths
A2 predictions: A*AAA (the Bs were all very high)
UKCAT: 717.5 band 2. VR 610, QR 880, AR 720, DA 660
You'll have to take my word for it when I say every aspect of my application is good apart from my terrible grades! Am I in with a realistic shot?
Thanks in advance fellow Student Roomers
Original post by arnoldschnitzel
Hello everyone,Another annoying stats/am I good enough post, sorry!

GCSE: 3A* 5A 5B, although Bs in chemistry, English lang and physics
AS: ABBB, A in Spanish and Bs in chem, bio, maths
A2 predictions: A*AAA (the Bs were all very high)
UKCAT: 717.5 band 2. VR 610, QR 880, AR 720, DA 660
You'll have to take my word for it when I say every aspect of my application is good apart from my terrible grades! Am I in with a realistic shot?
Thanks in advance fellow Student Roomers

That UKCAT is pretty good but you should wait for the UKCAT deciles to be released on 9 October if possible so you can gauge your chances compared to the others. :smile: Good job on that QR score! It's my worst section (mostly because of the clumsy calculator).
Original post by Hydeman
That UKCAT is pretty good but you should wait for the UKCAT deciles to be released on 9 October if possible so you can gauge your chances compared to the others. :smile: Good job on that QR score! It's my worst section (mostly because of the clumsy calculator).

My school deadline is October 1st but I'll pull a few strings...thank you :smile: Yeah I was quite happy with the score except it's too topsy turvy for comfort...using the keypad to type in numbers helps a lot!
Original post by arnoldschnitzel
My school deadline is October 1st but I'll pull a few strings...thank you :smile: Yeah I was quite happy with the score except it's too topsy turvy for comfort...using the keypad to type in numbers helps a lot!

Yeah, I've been trying to do that but it's still pretty clumsy (e.g. pressing backspace clears the whole thing). xD

Good luck with your application! :biggrin:
Original post by Hydeman
Yeah, I've been trying to do that but it's still pretty clumsy (e.g. pressing backspace clears the whole thing). xD

Good luck with your application! :biggrin:

Thanks a lot, best of luck to you too :biggrin:
Reply 55
I have A*A*A predictions and 650 avg UKCAT. My chances?
Original post by nkb01
I have A*A*A predictions and 650 avg UKCAT. My chances?

Predictions are good but wait for the deciles to be released on 9 October to see whether your UKCAT is competitive enough.
Reply 57
Original post by Hydeman
Predictions are good but wait for the deciles to be released on 9 October to see whether your UKCAT is competitive enough.

what decile would be competitive?
Original post by nkb01
what decile would be competitive?

Nothing outside the two or three, I imagine, since everyone in the higher deciles will be applying strategically to places that suit their strengths and give them the best shot at getting an interview/offer.
Hi all, I'm studying medicine at Exeter at the moment, I applied last year with a UKCAT average of 690 but I got less than 600 in 2 seperate units, they don't use individual cut offs and are less heavy on UKCAT than many med schools, it varies depending on your grades how high they want your UKCAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending