The Student Room Group

Exeter Medicine Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by MattQuance
Hi all, I'm studying medicine at Exeter at the moment, I applied last year with a UKCAT average of 690 but I got less than 600 in 2 seperate units, they don't use individual cut offs and are less heavy on UKCAT than many med schools, it varies depending on your grades how high they want your UKCAT.

Hey, what predictions did you have?

And what is Exeter like as a city?
Original post by nkb01
Hey, what predictions did you have?

And what is Exeter like as a city?

I was predicted 4 A*'s in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths.

Exeter is a great city, everything is close to the medicine campus (St Luke's) as are the student halls which are really good too! Nightlife isn't bad, always stuff going on.

I can tell you more about anything in particular, just send me a message or reply on here.
I was predicted 4 A*'s in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths.

Exeter is a great city, everything is close to the medicine campus (St Luke's) as are the student halls which are really good too! Nightlife isn't bad, always stuff going on.

I can tell you more about anything in particular, just send me a message or reply on here.

Hello,

I have three questions.

My first question is that my predicted grades so far is A*AA (A* in chemistry) and it might go up hopefully. Do you think this is enough to get invited for an interview?

My second question is that for my AS, I got AAAC (A in biology, A in Chemsitry, A in math but C in RS). Do I need to get a B in RS? If yes, will exeter allow resist?

My last question is that would a UKCAT score of 630 average enough to get an interview at Exeter?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Medically
Hello,

I have three questions.

My first question is that my predicted grades so far is A*AA (A* in chemistry) and it might go up hopefully. Do you think this is enough to get invited for an interview?

Depends on how good your UKCAT score is relative to other people in the current application cycle.

My second question is that for my AS, I got AAAC (A in biology, A in Chemsitry, A in math but C in RS). Do I need to get a B in RS? If yes, will exeter allow resist?

Exeter doesn't require a certain grade in a fourth AS, according to UCAS. They only care about your predicted A Level grades although they might be sceptical of anyone who offers an unusually high jump from AS to A2. But you're just fine. :wink:

Exeter has the most liberal resit policy of any UK medical school. You can resit and it won't count against you at all, according to their website. Although it's a fairly irrelevant subject so I would advise against wasting revision time trying to resit exams in RS.

My last question is that would a UKCAT score of 630 average enough to get an interview at Exeter?

Thank you

Nobody can tell you. Plain and simple. You need to look out for the UKCAT deciles that are being released on 9 October and that will give you a rough idea of the kind of score the average applicant to Exeter will have (think top two or three deciles).

All in all, it's very uncertain. Nobody here can tell you exactly what grades/UKCAT score you need to get an interview or an offer. Heck, even if you had full marks in everything, a lousy interview could destroy your application. So don't worry and just apply. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Depends on how good your UKCAT score is relative to other people in the current application cycle.

Exeter doesn't require a certain grade in a fourth AS, according to UCAS. They only care about your predicted A Level grades although they might be sceptical of anyone who offers an unusually high jump from AS to A2. But you're just fine. :wink:

Exeter has the most liberal resit policy of any UK medical school. You can resit and it won't count against you at all, according to their website. Although it's a fairly irrelevant subject so I would advise against wasting revision time trying to resit exams in RS.

Nobody can tell you. Plain and simple. You need to look out for the UKCAT deciles that are being released on 9 October and that will give you a rough idea of the kind of score the average applicant to Exeter will have (think top two or three deciles).

All in all, it's very uncertain. Nobody here can tell you exactly what grades/UKCAT score you need to get an interview or an offer. Heck, even if you had full marks in everything, a lousy interview could destroy your application. So don't worry and just apply. :smile:

Thank you soooo much for your help and I wish you good luck.

Take care 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,

I have three questions.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would advise speaking to your lecturers and see if you can get them to up one of your predictions to another A* if you can. That's not to say you won't get an interview with predicted A*AA but A*A*A would be safer. As for fourth AS Exeter don't require a certain grade officially so hopefully you won't have to worry. And at this stage it's hard to say as it all depends on the standard of applications this year.

Overall I'd say it's worth an application as nothing is a sure thing in medicine so go for it.

Good Luck!
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1443388998.731278.jpg

Look at the attachment. It says they would require a fourth AS at a minimum of grade B. I am really confused 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look at the attachment. It says they would require a fourth AS at a minimum of grade B. I am really confused 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, in that case one or more of your RS exams to get it up to a B or better. They're not going to hold it against you. They're the most lenient medical school when it comes to resits and don't mind how many you do or over what period like other universities.
Original post by Hydeman
Okay, in that case one or more of your RS exams to get it up to a B or better. They're not going to hold it against you. They're the most lenient medical school when it comes to resits and don't mind how many you do or over what period like other universities.

What if I got A*AA or over in my actual A-Level, but still got a grade C in RS for AS. Would they still accept me if I received an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What if I got A*AA or over in my actual A-Level, but still got a grade C in RS for AS. Would they still accept me if I received an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd have to email them and ask, I'm afraid. If it says they want a B in a fourth AS, that usually means they want a B in a fourth AS... I couldn't pretend to know what they'd do in that circumstance.
Original post by Hydeman
You'd have to email them and ask, I'm afraid. If it says they want a B in a fourth AS, that usually means they want a B in a fourth AS... I couldn't pretend to know what they'd do in that circumstance.

I just emailed them and hopefully I get a response as soon as possible.

The thing I don't understand is that UCAS did not mention that you need at least a grade B in the fourth AS. That is why I am soooo confused.

But anyway, thank you for your help 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just emailed them and hopefully I get a response as soon as possible.

The thing I don't understand is that UCAS did not mention that you need at least a grade B in the fourth AS. That is why I am soooo confused.

But anyway, thank you for your help 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that's rather annoying. Unfortunately, universities can sometimes change their requirements and not update the course page on UCAS, which is why it's always advisable first to look through UCAS when deciding where to apply and then confirm that the information is right by visiting the respective websites. This saves you the trouble of visiting dozens of different websites while ensuring you don't have the wrong idea about any of the courses you're applying for. :smile:
Does anyone know how many interviews and offers they gave out last admission cycle ?
Original post by anvar333
Does anyone know how many interviews and offers they gave out last admission cycle ?

It was around the 2000 mark applicant wise for which roughly 500 interviews were given, then about 220 offers were made for the 130 places.
It was around the 2000 mark applicant wise for which roughly 500 interviews were given, then about 220 offers were made for the 130 places.

great thank you
Is it safe to apply with a UKCAT avg of 682 but strong academics?
Hello, applying to Exeter next month, am I right in thinking that if you achieve Tier 2 and 2500+ they immediately offer you an interview? The open day made it seem that way :/
Reply 77

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that's outdated. I emailed them and they said they won't look at AS grades at all this year
Original post by ojj_12
I think that's outdated. I emailed them and they said they won't look at AS grades at all this year

But if you got an offer, would the requirements be AAAb. I understand that they won't look at AS grades when we apply, but if you got an offer, would they require a grade B in the forth AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
But if you got an offer, would the requirements be AAAb. I understand that they won't look at AS grades when we apply, but if you got an offer, would they require a grade B in the forth AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, offers will not include AS grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending