The Student Room Group

Exeter Medicine Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MattQuance
Hi all, I'm studying medicine at Exeter at the moment, I applied last year with a UKCAT average of 690 but I got less than 600 in 2 seperate units, they don't use individual cut offs and are less heavy on UKCAT than many med schools, it varies depending on your grades how high they want your UKCAT.

Hi, congrats for getting in! Do you know how much they look at the personal statement, and if so, what they look for? I'm really struggling to find successful examples, and I was unsuccessful to other med schools last year, so would love to know where to improve on my personal statement if I need to.
Thank you.
Original post by Blood flood
Hi, congrats for getting in! Do you know how much they look at the personal statement, and if so, what they look for? I'm really struggling to find successful examples, and I was unsuccessful to other med schools last year, so would love to know where to improve on my personal statement if I need to.
Thank you.

For PS just really try to make sure that you know what's coming and try to show how previous experience has shown you what it will be like, as well as developing your skills to be a good doctor. The following list are what Exeter specifically look for: working together for patients, respect and dignity, commitment to quality of care, compassion, improving lives, everyone counts; these values were taken directly from exeter's website. Be sure to evidence anything you put in, if you wanted an example I'd be happy to message you my PS?
I am also working at my ps at the moment. Could I meesage you my PS so you can look please ?
thanks in advance
For PS just really try to make sure that you know what's coming and try to show how previous experience has shown you what it will be like, as well as developing your skills to be a good doctor. The following list are what Exeter specifically look for: working together for patients, respect and dignity, commitment to quality of care, compassion, improving lives, everyone counts; these values were taken directly from exeter's website. Be sure to evidence anything you put in, if you wanted an example I'd be happy to message you my PS?

Thank you so much, I've been struggling to find what they want! That would be amazing if you could! I'm trying to look at successful personal statements, but i've been struggling to find some for Exeter, so I would really appreciate being able to look at yours!
Original post by Blood flood
Thank you so much, I've been struggling to find what they want! That would be amazing if you could! I'm trying to look at successful personal statements, but i've been struggling to find some for Exeter, so I would really appreciate being able to look at yours!

I've send you a message but if you let me have your email I'll email you a copy :smile:
I've send you a message but if you let me have your email I'll email you a copy :smile:

Can you send it to me please πŸ˜‡

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Medically
Can you send it to me please πŸ˜‡

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you let me have your email I can, it's too long to send on here
If you let me have your email I can, it's too long to send on here

COuld you send me your ps as well please? That would be incredible! Thank you
what are the chances of an interview with 3A* 5A 5B at GCSE, and abbb AS with A*AAA prediction and 717.5 UKCAT? I want to know whether it's worth applying because I love the look of Exeter. Thanks :smile:
Reply 89
Original post by arnoldschnitzel
what are the chances of an interview with 3A* 5A 5B at GCSE, and abbb AS with A*AAA prediction and 717.5 UKCAT? I want to know whether it's worth applying because I love the look of Exeter. Thanks :smile:

They seem like pretty good stats, but I'd wait until 9th october for the ukcat deciles so you can see where your score lies :smile:
Original post by arnoldschnitzel

Ha of course!! your ukcat is bloomin amazing and stats are decent enough (really good, but not amazing COMPARED to other applicants)....both of those should weigh up to give you an interview :biggrin: good luck!
Reply 91
Are the quartiles out yet?
Original post by nkb01
Are the quartiles out yet?

The UKCAT Twitter said they'd be out sometime this evening

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
The UKCAT Twitter said they'd be out sometime this evening

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know what time?
Original post by LOAend
Do you know what time?

they haven't said sorry
Reply 95
AAA achieved 710 avg, based on the tier system do you think I stand a chance or would it be a waste?
Original post by Ebbsy
Yeah, if you look at who got interviews on the thread last year it was only those predicted 2A* or more - even those with achieved A*AA seemed to be being overlooked! And those with higher UKCAT scores.

I realise this post is old but I called Exeter today and I'm quite confused. :s-smilie: Basically, they did say they put people in tiers 1 to 4 depending on their predictions, with those with A*A*A* being in tier 1 and those with AAA in tier 4. I'm applying with achieved A Levels and had A*AA and, according to the guy on the phone, applying with achieved A Levels bumps you up a tier so I'd be placed in tier 2 rather than tier 3.

With the UKCAT, he said something that truly shocked me: after months of believing that Exeter used a mechanistic UKCAT cut-off, I was told that this is entirely dependent on how many applicants there are in each tier that year. He explained this by telling me that 450 interviews are given and that, if there were fewer applicants than expected in tiers 1 and 2, those applicants wouldn't even have their UKCAT score looked at and it would only be used if there were more people in a tier than the number of interviews they wanted to give out.

So yeah, I'm back on square one. :s-smilie: I'd more or less sworn off Exeter after getting a substandard UKCAT score (just under 600 average Band 2) but I'm torn now. He repeatedly said that there's no guarantee in this process. I really like the university but the risk is so huge... If tier 2 is oversubscribed and a cut-off is imposed, there's no way I'm going to make it with my mediocre UKCAT score.
Original post by BoogieWoogie97
I realise this post is old but I called Exeter today and I'm quite confused. :s-smilie: Basically, they did say they put people in tiers 1 to 4 depending on their predictions, with those with A*A*A* being in tier 1 and those with AAA in tier 4. I'm applying with achieved A Levels and had A*AA and, according to the guy on the phone, applying with achieved A Levels bumps you up a tier so I'd be placed in tier 2 rather than tier 3.

With the UKCAT, he said something that truly shocked me: after months of believing that Exeter used a mechanistic UKCAT cut-off, I was told that this is entirely dependent on how many applicants there are in each tier that year. He explained this by telling me that 450 interviews are given and that, if there were fewer applicants than expected in tiers 1 and 2, those applicants wouldn't even have their UKCAT score looked at and it would only be used if there were more people in a tier than the number of interviews they wanted to give out.

So yeah, I'm back on square one. :s-smilie: I'd more or less sworn off Exeter after getting a substandard UKCAT score (just under 600 average Band 2) but I'm torn now. He repeatedly said that there's no guarantee in this process. I really like the university but the risk is so huge... If tier 2 is oversubscribed and a cut-off is imposed, there's no way I'm going to make it with my mediocre UKCAT score.

Hey,
I believe from looking at last year's thread they that used that process but it wasn't publicised very well. Did they say on the phone whether they gave interviews to people in tier 3 last year? The problem could be that more people with stella predictions apply this year because the system favours them.

If you really like Exeter and have other safer options, I would definitely apply. You would regret it if you watched this thread an people in tier 3 got interviews.
Hey. Thanks for replying. :smile: Yeah, I think I'll apply and see what happens. I do have safer choices (Cardiff and Bristol - latter one might not be as safe as I think!) so why not, I guess.

He didn't say specifically that people in tier 3 got interviews last year but I know for a fact that the person who created the medical resit applicants thread for 2015 entry got into Exeter having got A*ABB at the first attempt and predicted A*AA on the resit (less sure about the latter - I'll go check).

I'll just have to hope that they don't get flooded with applications from people with A*A*A* predictions. :redface:

Original post by Peterchart
Hey,
I believe from looking at last year's thread they that used that process but it wasn't publicised very well. Did they say on the phone whether they gave interviews to people in tier 3 last year? The problem could be that more people with stella predictions apply this year because the system favours them.

If you really like Exeter and have other safer options, I would definitely apply. You would regret it if you watched this thread an people in tier 3 got interviews.
Original post by BoogieWoogie97
Hey. Thanks for replying. :smile: Yeah, I think I'll apply and see what happens. I do have safer choices (Cardiff and Bristol - latter one might not be as safe as I think!) so why not, I guess.

He didn't say specifically that people in tier 3 got interviews last year but I know for a fact that the person who created the medical resit applicants thread for 2015 entry got into Exeter having got A*ABB at the first attempt and predicted A*AA on the resit (less sure about the latter - I'll go check).

I'll just have to hope that they don't get flooded with applications from people with A*A*A* predictions. :redface:

Nice one. I think you'll be OK - and its worth taking a slight risk for a uni as great as Exeter!

Quick Reply

Latest