The Student Room Group

Exeter Medicine Applicants 2016 Entry

Hello, who else is applying?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
I like the look of it but i dont know if my ukcat would stand up (665 average):/
I'm applying although I haven't done the UKCAT yet. I might apply somewhere else if it goes terribly. :redface:
I got AAAC (A in biology, A in chemistry, A in maths, C in RS 😔) in my AS and my prediction is A*AA. I got an average of around 630 in the UKCAT (which is quite low I think). Do you think I have a chance to get an interview with a strong Personal Statement?

And also would they look at each individual section at the UKCAT or would they look at the average only?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lista
Hello, who else is applying?

Me:biggrin:
what are all of your stats like.
i have 5A* 3A B(english lang) C(textiles) at gcse, 4 A's at as, 2A*A prediction and ukcat of 720. Do i stand a chance.
6A*s,4As at GCSEs, aaac at AS (dropping the fourth) and 702.5 ukcat band 1, is it worth applying?
Do you reckon they'll want 2 A* predictions again this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ebbsy
Do you reckon they'll want 2 A* predictions again this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

did they want 2A* predictions last year
Original post by hopefulmedic1998
did they want 2A* predictions last year

Yeah, if you look at who got interviews on the thread last year it was only those predicted 2A* or more - even those with achieved A*AA seemed to be being overlooked! And those with higher UKCAT scores.

So I'm not sure if it was anything to do with the skew in UKCAT scores last year, or just their secret policy but just a warning if you haven't read last year's thread, it could happen again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ebbsy
Yeah, if you look at who got interviews on the thread last year it was only those predicted 2A* or more - even those with achieved A*AA seemed to be being overlooked! And those with higher UKCAT scores.

So I'm not sure if it was anything to do with the skew in UKCAT scores last year, or just their secret policy but just a warning if you haven't read last year's thread, it could happen again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks
what were your predictions
thanks
what were your predictions

I have achieved AAA but love exeter so will be retaking a couple of exams to get chem and bio up to A* - probably seems mad to retake for one uni but I really like it! So I'll be predicted A*A* for my retakes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ebbsy
I have achieved AAA but love exeter so will be retaking a couple of exams to get chem and bio up to A* - probably seems mad to retake for one uni but I really like it! So I'll be predicted A*A* for my retakes

Posted from TSR Mobile

good luck:smile:
good luck:smile:

Thanks, you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went to the open day and spoke to the head of admissions and i got the impression that they do not look at your personal statement at all during admissions-they may glance at it to make sure there were no issues but it does not play a part in admissions :frown:
Original post by rosie2901
I went to the open day and spoke to the head of admissions and i got the impression that they do not look at your personal statement at all during admissions-they may glance at it to make sure there were no issues but it does not play a part in admissions :frown:

Exeter is more UKCAT-focussed, yes. They do look at your personal statement, however. Just not as much as some other medical schools (cough Bristol cough). I got this from the 'Applying to medical school using your strengths' page:

'Before interview, applications are very lightly scored on experience and reflection in medicine in the personal statement. Those who apply having achieved the minimum GCE grades are still required to meet the UKCAT cut-off. Those who apply with predicted grades will progress to interview stage depending mostly on whether they meet a general UKCAT cut-off, and lower cut-offs for each of the four sub-tests, all of which are reviewed every application cycle.'
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Exeter is more UKCAT-focussed, yes. They do look at your personal statement, however. Just not as much as some other medical schools (cough Bristol cough). I got this from the 'Applying to medical school using your strengths' page:

'Before interview, applications are very lightly scored on experience and reflection in medicine in the personal statement. Those who apply having achieved the minimum GCE grades are still required to meet the UKCAT cut-off. Those who apply with predicted grades will progress to interview stage depending mostly on whether they meet a general UKCAT cut-off, and lower cut-offs for each of the four sub-tests, all of which are reviewed every application cycle.'

I know Plymouth definitely score the subtests but I'm not sure that Exeter do as this is off their website:

'Applications will be sorted according to academic profile and overall UKCAT score in order to determine which applicants will receive an offer of an interview.'

Not sure though, I've emailed to find out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ebbsy
I know Plymouth definitely score the subtests but I'm not sure that Exeter do as this is off their website:

'Applications will be sorted according to academic profile and overall UKCAT score in order to determine which applicants will receive an offer of an interview.'

Not sure though, I've emailed to find out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice one. :biggrin: The admissions team at Exeter usually replies to emails swiftly; let me know what they say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending