The Student Room Group

Applied for uni 2 hours a go and now I've got a place. Help.

I've just finished my a levels and i never had any intention of applying for university at all and I was planning on doing an apprenticeship. About two hours ago I randomly found a uni course that looked good and it said there was places left. I gave them a call and told them my results and they have emailed me offering me a place but I need to email them proof of results within 48 hours. I've now no idea what to do. Do I need to create a Ucas account? Do I apply for student finance? I thought it was to late. The course starts next week and i've no idea what to do.
Don't panic. If you still want to do the course, do you have your results letter? If so scan and email it to them, and ask if that's sufficient proof.

It might be useful to phone the admissions tutor, and explain your situation. Unless you have tuition fee money handy, and some money to live on, I think you WILL be applying for student finance, but it might be delayed, so talking to the Uni would be a good idea. I don't know if you need a UCAS account - ask the Uni. I would take notes of what they say, and send a follow-up email to the admissions tutor to confirm anythign he or she says (so you have some proof).

Is it near home? If not, ask about accommodation as well.

But most of all, stay calm. Unless you are working very long hours, you do have time to get organised.
oh - and you can phone student finance to ask them any questions you have as well
Reply 3
Original post by cheshiremum
Don't panic. If you still want to do the course, do you have your results letter? If so scan and email it to them, and ask if that's sufficient proof.

It might be useful to phone the admissions tutor, and explain your situation. Unless you have tuition fee money handy, and some money to live on, I think you WILL be applying for student finance, but it might be delayed, so talking to the Uni would be a good idea. I don't know if you need a UCAS account - ask the Uni. I would take notes of what they say, and send a follow-up email to the admissions tutor to confirm anythign he or she says (so you have some proof).

Is it near home? If not, ask about accommodation as well.

But most of all, stay calm. Unless you are working very long hours, you do have time to get organised.

Thank you so much this post helped to calm me down loads. I've applied for student finance which says it will take 6 weeks which isn't great. Luckily the uni is only 30 minutes away so i'll be able to live at home. I'll do what you said and i'll ring the uni tomorrow. Thanks for your advice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by heatedbread
Thank you so much this post helped to calm me down loads. I've applied for student finance which says it will take 6 weeks which isn't great. Luckily the uni is only 30 minutes away so i'll be able to live at home. I'll do what you said and i'll ring the uni tomorrow. Thanks for your advice.

What uni + course is it, if I may ask? You can tell me after you get your place confirmed and all. If you don't want to though then that's perfectly fine.
Reply 5
Original post by OrionMusicNet
What uni + course is it, if I may ask? You can tell me after you get your place confirmed and all. If you don't want to though then that's perfectly fine.

Sent you a pm
Student finance will take 6 weeks, but they do offer finance earlier if you need it. This will not take into account any family earnings etc, but will allow you to get some sort of funding. I would ring them and ask for this as the course starts so soon. After the 6 weeks you would get the extra finance paid in that took into account household income etc
Reply 7
Thank you i didn't know that you could do this I will ring up tomorrow. What will happen if I don't get funding before my course starts?
Original post by Travisty
Student finance will take 6 weeks, but they do offer finance earlier if you need it. This will not take into account any family earnings etc, but will allow you to get some sort of funding. I would ring them and ask for this as the course starts so soon. After the 6 weeks you would get the extra finance paid in that took into account household income etc
Thank you i didn't know that you could do this I will ring up tomorrow. What will happen if I don't get funding before my course starts?

You would have to ask your university about that, as well as Student Finance I'm afraid.
So let me get this straight.....you never wanted to go to university, you found a random course you like and now you suddenly want to go. Do realise you are making a 3 year commitment to something on a whim. I think you're making a big mistake
Original post by marco14196
So let me get this straight.....you never wanted to go to university, you found a random course you like and now you suddenly want to go. Do realise you are making a 3 year commitment to something on a whim. I think you're making a big mistake

I know i said it was a random course but it isn't really. I've been looking for an apprenticeship in this course for the past couple of weeks. It combines one of my passions with the industry that I am looking to go into. If I had discovered this course a couple of months a go I would have 100% gone to uni
Original post by marco14196

I think you make bold statements based on limited evidence! You might at least have said 'are you sure you've made the right decision?'.
I know i said it was a random course but it isn't really. I've been looking for an apprenticeship in this course for the past couple of weeks. It combines one of my passions with the industry that I am looking to go into. If I had discovered this course a couple of months a go I would have 100% gone to uni

I hope you're making good progress getting organised - enjoy the course, make the most of it.
Original post by cheshiremum
I hope you're making good progress getting organised - enjoy the course, make the most of it.

Yeah it's almost all organised now. Just waiting on student finance. Thank you for your help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending