The Student Room Group

What subject to Drop at A2 (Want to Study Law at Uni)

Hello guys, at my AS level I studied and obtained the grades: Biology A, Psychology A, Economics B, English Literature B, Critical Thinking (5th AS) D.

I will be applying to:
LSE
Kings College London
UCL
Queen Mary's London
To study Law.

My dilemma is this:
I gained the same marks in English and Economics and I am unsure of what to drop when I continue onto my A2 year. Is English Literature preferred over Economics for Law admissions? If so, would it better my chances of getting in? I can get predicted A grades for both English and Economics and I believe I may be able to obtain A in English and am fairly certain I would get an A in economics after A2. Please Help ,What Should I Do?!?!?

At A2 I will have
Biology
Psychology
Economics or English Lit

Thanks, Alex.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
both subjects are good subjects! (i dont know much about law degrees in particular but both are seen as facilitating subjects and are on UCl's preferred subjects list) i would recommend going for the one you think you will be able to preform best at in A2, maybe look at the syllabus for each and see which topics interest you most (i ended up doing a lit topic i HATED and i dropped a grade in that topic, so it really can make a difference)
Reply 2
Original post by citydeer
both subjects are good subjects! (i dont know much about law degrees in particular but both are seen as facilitating subjects and are on UCl's preferred subjects list) i would recommend going for the one you think you will be able to preform best at in A2, maybe look at the syllabus for each and see which topics interest you most (i ended up doing a lit topic i HATED and i dropped a grade in that topic, so it really can make a difference)

Yeah that's what I was thinking, I believe i'll do better in Economics and enjoy it more but I think lit is preferred over economics for Law.
I am a law student, and I would seriously advise you to take English unless you prefer econ to the extent that you will get a better grade. Obviously law has no prerequisites, but it is an essay subject. The places you have chosen are all (as you probably know) at the very top of the rankings for law, and so good essay writing is essential not only for entry, but to get decent grades once you get on the course. Especially if you think you can pull up your grade for A2, English would be preferable IMHO. That said, I know scientists who have got onto law degrees. It is all down to how good a writer you are, and which you enjoy most (which is probably more important in the end).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending