The Student Room Group

Higher Computing Science 2015-2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by qasim-98
Can I ask what you got in computing last year? Is the project quite difficult, and what's in it ? Sorry for all the questions it's just that my teachers taking the crash higher class and she's taking it for the first time, so she doesn't know much yet

I got an A for the overall course and about 90% in the project, dont know about the exam as i never asked.

What can i say, its not difficult if you work on it on regular basis. If you do not, you will just forget about things and that will make you panic and panic is not a good thing as it will cause you to make careless mistakes.

Im not sure if things changes but what i needed to do was to construct a simple program that will carry out series of tasks that are at higher level(i.e. sorting, file handling etc.) We also made a simple website in html, that presented the program that we worked on. I dont think the website was required, i think it was just like icing on top of a cake to pick up extra marks that might not have been picked up by the program.

Once we created the program and the website, we wrote a report including screenshots of the code as evidence. Throughout the whole project we kept a diary that everytime we worked on the project, we wrote down what we did on that day, any problems that occured how were they solved and any sources of notes we used that helped us like books, websites.

Hope that helped, but most importantly you should just keep it cool. It might look like an impossible task at the start but once you start breaking it into small parts and tackling it step by step, things will look better and more manageable.
Reply 21
Original post by Txik
I got an A for the overall course and about 90% in the project, dont know about the exam as i never asked.

What can i say, its not difficult if you work on it on regular basis. If you do not, you will just forget about things and that will make you panic and panic is not a good thing as it will cause you to make careless mistakes.

Im not sure if things changes but what i needed to do was to construct a simple program that will carry out series of tasks that are at higher level(i.e. sorting, file handling etc.) We also made a simple website in html, that presented the program that we worked on. I dont think the website was required, i think it was just like icing on top of a cake to pick up extra marks that might not have been picked up by the program.

Once we created the program and the website, we wrote a report including screenshots of the code as evidence. Throughout the whole project we kept a diary that everytime we worked on the project, we wrote down what we did on that day, any problems that occured how were they solved and any sources of notes we used that helped us like books, websites.

Hope that helped, but most importantly you should just keep it cool. It might look like an impossible task at the start but once you start breaking it into small parts and tackling it step by step, things will look better and more manageable.

Alright thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Has anyone started their projects? I've got a computational construct test and the teachers are deciding levels over these tests. They can be quite difficult. I'm doing more than one crash higher this year and computing is the hardest..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Is it just me doing this course? Feels like it :frown: hate it so much. Anyone had any prelims?
Reply 24
Reply 25
I had my prelim about 2-3 weeks ago and it went quite well, got 78% I think, it was defo an A anyway. We're doing our information systems unit assessment atm (I've finished most of it) then straight onto the course assignment.
Reply 26
Original post by PTS_99
I had my prelim about 2-3 weeks ago and it went quite well, got 78% I think, it was defo an A anyway. We're doing our information systems unit assessment atm (I've finished most of it) then straight onto the course assignment.

I got 69% which was the highest in our class. About 21/25 people sitting the course are crashing and I'm one of them. My teacher says she's checking with another few teachers my answers so my prelim grade might move up, but it doesn't disguise the fact that I'm still sh** at computing, I only got that high a mark because she basically told us what to and what not to revise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
I only got that high a mark because she basically told us what to and what not to revise.

You would be surprised how many people still get a bad prelim score after being told exactly whats in the prelim, saying that it still surprises me.
Reply 28
Original post by PTS_99
You would be surprised how many people still get a bad prelim score after being told exactly whats in the prelim, saying that it still surprises me.

I'm just worried for the exam cause last year i don't think I could have got over 40%. I got the model papers and they just made me worried more because the amount of sh** they expect you to know it's messed up. What do you use for notes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Last years exam was a mess generally, however my teacher told us in November that whilst the SQA are aware of this, they aren't going to change it yet
We were given unit notes written by "AOK Forrester" (I think) which are quite good for the most part and the BrightRed textbook which is also pretty good. I also bought the Hodder Gibson How to Pass CfE Higher Computing guide is also really good and well detailed.
I don't bother with model papers unless I'm given a photocopy to try by my teacher, with last years exam, the specimen paper and the exemplar paper that is enough for me I feel.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by PTS_99
Last years exam was a mess generally, however my teacher told us in November that whilst the SQA are aware of this, they aren't going to change it yet
We were given unit notes written by "AOK Forrester" (I think) which are quite good for the most part and the BrightRed textbook which is also pretty good. I also bought the Hodder Gibson How to Pass CfE Higher Computing guide is also really good and well detailed.
I don't bother with model papers unless I'm given a photocopy to try by my teacher, with last years exam, the specimen paper and the exemplar paper that is enough for me I feel.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask :smile:

Sqa aren't going to change what? The difficulty of the exam? I've never been more challenged by any other subject but computing to be honest...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Yep, the difficulty of the exam isn't going to change apparently, at least not for several years.
I would be happy to hear if someone knows otherwise cause who doesn't want an easier exam? :biggrin:
Reply 32
Where abouts is everyone in the course ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
We've just started our Course Assignments this week, and the database is an absolute b******, spending 2 weeks in class on that then exam revision after that.
Reply 34
Original post by PTS_99
We've just started our Course Assignments this week, and the database is an absolute b******, spending 2 weeks in class on that then exam revision after that.

I don't actually find the assignment that hard, the program was kind of difficult to create. I'm bricking it for this exam. The theory questions are a joke

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
What assignment did you do? We've got a massive database (which is making me want to destroy Access) about some diving championships and then I think the program just reads in names and calculates the scores in the finals.
I think the database would be easier if Access wasn't such a pain in the backside and pedantic about how you do things though.
I'm not concerned about any exams yet, I'm too busy trying to satisfy all the outcomes needed to sit the exams at the moment to worry about the actual thing.
Reply 36
Original post by PTS_99
What assignment did you do? We've got a massive database (which is making me want to destroy Access) about some diving championships and then I think the program just reads in names and calculates the scores in the finals.
I think the database would be easier if Access wasn't such a pain in the backside and pedantic about how you do things though.
I'm not concerned about any exams yet, I'm too busy trying to satisfy all the outcomes needed to sit the exams at the moment to worry about the actual thing.

Choral shield, I would actually prefer your assignment, I'm better at databases since I did admin last year where we used databases for the whole year, but we don't have a choice, we need to code using Visual Basic 🙄.

Yeah I know what u mean I just wish I chose history or something simpler to crash, I don't like computing and computing doesn't like me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
I wish I had your task. I like visual basic, I've not really done databases before and they don't really cover them that thoroughly so I don't really know what I'm doing. My teacher said it was the easiest of the options though as much as I don't want to believe it.
I like computing though, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do it next year at AH too.
Reply 38
Does anyone know the differences between internal and external style sheets?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Does anyone know the differences between internal and external style sheets?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I take it that you're talking about css. An internal style sheet is when you set a rule in your actual HTML file. Whilst external is when the rule is defined in the external document which you've linked to your HTML or CSS file. Hope this helps!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending