The Student Room Group

Higher Computing Science 2015-2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I have attached two further practice papers along with their solutions in separate files.

I have also attached the Course Assessment Specification document (can be found on SQA website) which lists in tables the required knowledge for the exam.

I have also attached the Past Paper Guidance document (can also be found on SQA website) which gives specific past paper questions (from the old Higher/AH) from 2011-2013 which can be attempted (some may have to be amended slightly first) in preparation for the new Higher.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by ROC10
I have attached two further practice papers along with their solutions in separate files.

I have also attached the Course Assessment Specification document (can be found on SQA website) which lists in tables the required knowledge for the exam.

I have also attached the Past Paper Guidance document (can also be found on SQA website) which gives specific past paper questions (from the old Higher/AH) from 2011-2013 which can be attempted (some may have to be amended slightly first) in preparation for the new Higher.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Honestly, Thankyou so much, i was getting really worried i would go into the exam unprepared, and this will help so much!!!
Reply 82
Original post by Tayls102
Honestly, Thankyou so much, i was getting really worried i would go into the exam unprepared, and this will help so much!!!

No problem :smile:
Reply 83
Does anyone use the bright red book as their main source of revision? Obviously along side model/past papers but where do you "reinforce" your theory?
Original post by qasim-98
Does anyone use the bright red book as their main source of revision? Obviously along side model/past papers but where do you "reinforce" your theory?

Before we went off on study leave i took a pen drive into school and took a copy off the shared area of the computing science notes and stuff. So i just use them. I also use the bright red book and online stuff. These are useful links:

https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/gc/bellatechno/higher-computing-science/

http://www.kelsohighschool.org.uk/learning-zone/technologies/computing/cfe-higher

http://www.npfs.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/nutshells_revision_H_computingscience.pdf

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by Tayls102
Before we went off on study leave i took a pen drive into school and took a copy off the shared area of the computing science notes and stuff. So i just use them. I also use the bright red book and online stuff. These are useful links:

https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/gc/bellatechno/higher-computing-science/

http://www.kelsohighschool.org.uk/learning-zone/technologies/computing/cfe-higher

http://www.npfs.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/nutshells_revision_H_computingscience.pdf

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks a lot, it has helped. I'm just a bit annoyed now looking at the old higher computing, it was so straightforward.

It's not fair how much they changed it, not so much the content of the course but the structure of the exam and what they ask you for in the new higher. It's in a different league to old higher.
Thanks a lot, it has helped. I'm just a bit annoyed now looking at the old higher computing, it was so straightforward.

It's not fair how much they changed it, not so much the content of the course but the structure of the exam and what they ask you for in the new higher. It's in a different league to old higher.

haha yeh its trickier than the old higher, i guess a lot of subjects are like that, maths was a lot easier at the old higher.
Reply 87
Any predictions on what might come up this year? Have you guys took time out to learn memory read and writes?
Reply 88
Any predictions on what might come up this year? Have you guys took time out to learn memory read and writes?

A big Juicy 10 mark Normalisation Question!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298
A big Juicy 10 mark Normalisation Question!

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh please stop, what even is normalisation?!?
right.... i knew that

Yeah, I think they're certainly worth remembering as I think they're quite essential to know. If you need the steps (simplified) I can post them here. They have to heavily alter the syllabus each year as technology advances so fast. They're pretty much revamping the content for next year as well one of my teachers said.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by CitrusConfusion
Yeah, I think they're certainly worth remembering as I think they're quite essential to know. If you need the steps (simplified) I can post them here. They have to heavily alter the syllabus each year as technology advances so fast. They're pretty much revamping the content for next year as well one of my teachers said.

Wish I just did RE haha

Yeah could you post them on here please. I look at every other source of revision and they all have their own steps which is annoying because I don't know whether to include the processor components involved or not.

I just need 55%, and I'm getting about that in the model papers but they aren't anything like last years difficulty
Wish I just did RE haha

Yeah could you post them on here please. I look at every other source of revision and they all have their own steps which is annoying because I don't know whether to include the processor components involved or not.

I just need 55%, and I'm getting about that in the model papers but they aren't anything like last years difficulty

Really last years isn't too bad for me? (Might be because I've done it like fifteen times) None the less here's how I formulated it:

memoryreadwrite.jpg
Reply 94
Original post by hugeJamesS

Why are you going onto every single thread and posting this?
I don't mean to worry you but I think the paper this year will be considerably easier than last years which means I suspect the grade boundaries will be raised.
Remember to do the exemplar paper guys becuase in all of my previous exams, countless similar and almost identical questions came up that were in the papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, it's generally 74% max, pushing it 75% if the paper is really easy. So as long as you're hitting the 74 mark, it's more or less a guaranteed A.
Reply 98
I got 62% in last years paper. I marked it very strictly.. Even when I was confident I got the right answer. If I got 62% in the exam I would be happy.

I'm having trouble with internal and external style sheets, operating system questions and client and server side scripting questions. It's pretty much unit 2 I have a problem with, unit 1 is fine :biggrin:
I got 62% in last years paper. I marked it very strictly.. Even when I was confident I got the right answer. If I got 62% in the exam I would be happy.

I'm having trouble with internal and external style sheets, operating system questions and client and server side scripting questions. It's pretty much unit 2 I have a problem with, unit 1 is fine :biggrin:

Do you have any examples of what you get stuck on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending