The Student Room Group

Why do left wingers love Islam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I wouldn't say they 'love' Islam. I would agree however that they turn a blind eye to much wrongdoing by Muslims,while berating Christianity even though its relatively insignificant nower days.

I also think that's it's just not particularly fashionable to criticize anything apart from 'The West' in certain areas of the left-wing media. Its a slightly different point but it does feel as though they will blame literally everything on the USA given half a chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gusmeer
I wouldn't say they 'love' Islam. I would agree however that they turn a blind eye to much wrongdoing by Muslims,while berating Christianity even though its relatively insignificant nower days.

I also think that's it's just not particularly fashionable to criticize anything apart from 'The West' in certain areas of the left-wing media. Its a slightly different point but it does feel as though they will blame literally everything on the USA given half a chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is quite some.legitimate criticism of the USA in left wing papers but then you also have the tabloids who try and pin things on Muslims however bad.
Reply 82
Original post by The Donut Maker
Is it not contradictory? The beliefs that stem from Islam and in a more practical sense sharia law go against the so called 'morals' of left wing politics.

So left wingers, why do you have such a love and defence behaviour for Islam? I am curious.

Yes it is maddening.

there is a division in the muslim world.
on one side we have muslims who are following their religion literally and properly. there's no room for reinterpretation. indeed the quran claims itself that it is clear in its instruction. and the system of unbelief makes sure that any muslims that stray from literal interpretation are unbelievers.

on the other side we have muslims that are desperately trying to make islam adaptable to being a nice religion that is not shocking or repulsive to modern 21st century ears. there are nice things in the quran worth keeping and they don't want to lose their religion entirely because there are bad bits. as a result they take awkward positions of either pure negligence. where they have not even read the quran themselves. or, they have tried to contextualize the bad bits for a time period in history. but they are really stretching it by doing this. and it doesn't add up. it can be very swiftly denounced by the above paragraph type of literal muslims.

problem is as we all know this is not a domestic muslim affair. non muslims are involved in this to. as the non muslims are the non believers. and therefore the main target for attack by literalist muslims.

as a result we have true muslims trying to lash out at us. and semi muslims trying to hold on to their tradition but also at the same time keep living in peaceful coexistence with us.

problem is because semi muslims want to be nice and don't want to go full on jihadi they are therefore classed as non muslims by the literal muslims and are just as good a target as us.

quite clearly its a problem ideology.

so why do left wingers defend them?

well theres a few reasons...

1. the half muslims keep telling everyone that true islam is about peace.
2. left wingers take the half muslims by their word and don't bother checking out islam for themselves, doing any research at all or taking note of what the literalist muslims say. they essentially stick their head in the sand and repeat what the half muslims say.
3. muslims are, in the west, associated with people of colour. as a result anti racist groups who know absolutely nothing about islam think that any attacks on the ideology are actually a covert attack on an ethnic communities traditions.
4. in the past minority groups have had their voices heard by uniting together rather than being divided. back in the 60s through to the 80s and even 90s it was common for communists, feminists, black nationalists, irish nationalists and LGB groups to all stick up for each other. because if one group was ok to attack all the right wing national front groups would have to do to edit our society would be to single us out one by one. all these minority groups were united by the left. as a result other minority groups find a safe place within the left as well as left wingers who wish to keep the left a safe place for minority groups are very reluctant to turn against one of their minority groups.

so within the left you have left wingers torn. do you discriminate against a minority? and risk the integrity of your position as fighting for the little guy? risk scaring off and creating insecurity all the other minority groups that have made their home in the left and fragmenting your united political side?

after all what do you do with these half muslims? they don't want to let go of islam. but they don't want to embrace it fully either?

its quite difficult to accuse someone of believing in a bad religion when they are trying their hardest to explain "its not like that". especially when they're a nice guy/gal.

but people are going to have to get real about islam. both these half muslims that want to stay muslim by tradition but not conform to fundamentalist ideology and the left wingers who harbor them.

its especially hard for pakistanis to let go of islam. cause other wise they are just culturless. they are muslim indians who thought that islam and islamification would be enough to differentiate them from india. however islam is not just a culture its an ideology.

you may be born black or white. but your not born muslim. you are indoctrinated as one.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by paul514
Off topic but perhaps the Muslim states that surrounded Israel shouldn't have invaded it first.

The Muslim states invaded before Israel was even a recognised country in 1948, in 1967 it was Israel who attacked.
There is an important distinction here. Most of the left leaning discourses that deal with Islam do not deal with it as a theological or religious category but as a social category, one that happens to house one of the most vulnerable members of this society. That people on the left argue against discrimination or campaign for the rights of these minorities in no way suggests that they agree with, or as you put it, love the doctrines and beliefs associated with Islam.

They do not love "Islam". That statement is absurd. They just offer nuanced analysis of deeply complex social and international situations, one where Muslims are treated like human beings and not national security threats.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by United1892
The Muslim states invaded before Israel was even a recognised country in 1948, in 1967 it was Israel who attacked.

Recognised by whom?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it not contradictory? The beliefs that stem from Islam and in a more practical sense sharia law go against the so called 'morals' of left wing politics.

So left wingers, why do you have such a love and defence behaviour for Islam? I am curious.

Maybe because they believe in equality
Original post by DarrenBCFC
Maybe because they believe in equality

But that's just it, firstly Islam does not believe in equality and instead functions on the idea Muslims are more important and superior to non Muslims.

Secondly the left have a distinct love for Islam. The left always defends Islamic followers over anyone else whether they be gay, Christian, black, white and so on. The left always treats the Islamic community differently to anyone else. Is that equality? Left wing groups value a religious group more than any other group and you call that equality?
But that's just it, firstly Islam does not believe in equality and instead functions on the idea Muslims are more important and superior to non Muslims.

Secondly the left have a distinct love for Islam. The left always defends Islamic followers over anyone else whether they be gay, Christian, black, white and so on. The left always treats the Islamic community differently to anyone else. Is that equality? Left wing groups value a religious group more than any other group and you call that equality?

Your Talking *******s mate
Original post by paul514
Recognised by whom?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Litterally anyone.
I don't think they do. I think you're confusing "loving" with "acknowledging their right to exist".
Original post by United1892
Litterally anyone.

Well the UN did in 1948 that's who makes countries official.

Your move

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
Well the UN did in 1948 that's who makes countries official.

Your move

Posted from TSR Mobile

The invasion was in 1947
Original post by gagafacea1
Exactly it makes no damn sense! When will they learn that you can't have muslims AND feminists AND LGBT people?

Spoiler

Reply 94
gr8 b8
What a pointless 5 page thread. It's not left-wingers, it's LIBERALS - a huge difference.
Its ******** that left wingers love and support Islam, the right do like to perpetuate this image of us though.Myself and many many people that I know are entirely left wing but we do not support Islam or mass immigration. You can be left wing and not be a politically correct hypocrite.
The Left Wing like the Right Wing are a broad spectrum. There are ideologies on the left that would condemn Islam, as much as it would condemn any ideology that discriminates people.
I'm a left winger and I think Islam should be abolished...

As long EVERY other religion, including Christianity is abolished as well.

Religions are all dangerous, currently Islam is having it's having its moment of extremism, but Christianity was just as bad.

Basically, if you are a Christian or believe in any religion, but go on Alex Jones-like rants about how evil Islam is, you are a massive ****ing hypocrite.

Of course left wingers love Islam. They love it because in their eyes it helps abolish traditional western society which is basically their entire aim (that's in terms of traditional Marxism and cultural Marxism).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending